Due diligence

We always talk about it, but I'd be interested to know what everyone's method for performing their own due diligence is? Is yours as simple as a spreadsheet comparing costs, expected income and median suburb growth? Do you read state infrastructure briefings?

Personally, my starting point is to calculate all costs foreseeable in a spreadsheet (both purchase costs and ongoing), and I have this spreadsheet to do it for multiple situations and calculate break even costs. I can estimate what income I need to derive from these investments, but that's only the starting point. I never purchase without having driven around the suburb to get a feel for it all, and I generally like to look in suburbs which haven't risen as much as a surrounding suburb.

Interested to hear other people's approach.

Is it a good area? Is it a good position? Is it cheap relative to comparable sales? If all 3 are satisfied then I will buy.

We always talk about it, but I'd be interested to know what everyone's method for performing their own due diligence is? Is yours as simple as a spreadsheet comparing costs, expected income and median suburb growth? Do you read state infrastructure briefings?

Personally, my starting point is to calculate all costs foreseeable in a spreadsheet (both purchase costs and ongoing), and I have this spreadsheet to do it for multiple situations and calculate break even costs. I can estimate what income I need to derive from these investments, but that's only the starting point. I never purchase without having driven around the suburb to get a feel for it all, and I generally like to look in suburbs which haven't risen as much as a surrounding suburb.

Interested to hear other people's approach.

Hi,
We did as follows:

Researched sales in the immediate vicinity for the past 2 years. Thereafter worked out how much we wanted to pay.

Drove around the suburb and the street everyday, morning, noon and evening...lol It is opposite a reserve/park, so spent an hour daily with the kids.

Went to the council and got as much information as we could (planning, roads, permits issued etc etc)

Solicitor did some checks independently (to clarify some covenants on the title)

Got building and pest inspection done.

We took our time and didn't get rushed into buying it - fact it was a private sale was a big plus for us.

Sorry, should clarify... for PPOR it's easier, as you don't need to worry overly about number-crunching, so long as you're not overpaying. I'm more interested in purchasing an IP, how do people make these decisions?

Back