Dumb things we believe

Some of the greatest limitations we have are self imposed and many of these we carry around in our brains "rules" but really they are bullsh.t.

Big Stuff.
For example my grandparents told me
"Dont trust anyone, they will just rip you off".
For years this was my way of life, I never questioned the value of this. If you dont trust you have to do everything yourself. Now I choose to believe "Trust, but verify", trust others, but do some due dilligence.

"You can only get rich by deception/fraud/lying/cheating/head-kicking etc".
Since I am a nice person I shouldn't try to be rich! If I must hurt people to be rich, better to be poor. Now I choose to believe that being financially independant will only give me more choices, one of those choices will be to help others.

Pissy Stuff, Stupid Stuff

"Mortgage Brokers charge you a fortune to fill in the banks application form". Never though again about using a broker until this forum.

- What are some beliefs that have limited your life, but have found to be wrong ?

Last edited:
Age = Experience

This is a biggie & is pounded into peoples' heads from the day they're born.

I know many older people who do have substantial life experience, but still have no experience in investing or other financial matters. They are very sure of their beliefs however and are happy to tell younger people when they are taking too many financial risks - ring a bell anyone?

We're taught to listen & believe to these people because age MUST equal experience - it took a while for me to be able to break free from the conditioning of giving their views more weight than they are worth.

However the the self-imposed limitation I rue the most is the story about 'girl germs'. It kept me away from women for almost 10 years ;)

If you've got kids - think about what you may have said to them recently to keep them in line which may become a limitation for them? I keep trying to counteract school which still links success with a job (even at the earliest levels).

Cheers,

Craig

another one is "you can't do that!"

why?

because you haven't done it?
because you don't have the means to do it?
because you haven't thought to do it?
because you can't think of How to do it?
because you're too scared to do it?

I hate being told I can't do something, but on the other hand - it's the best possible thing someone can say to me - it only inspires me more to get out and do it.

One of the big ones:

To think based on "cash transactions". We're taught to think that we have to have the money (in some occasions all the money) before we think of buying or paying for a good and/or service.

That's why (I think), people is scare of mortgages. Mortgages are to big and they don't picture themselves paying for it. The contradictions is that they don't have to :D

This link to another one:

"You have to pay your mortgage before you get another one. There is not other way..."

So, people focus on paying them till the last penny and neglect the big picture....

Another one:

-you have to work hard (for someone else) in order to achieve success...

-save money instead of invest money.

Regards,

James.

I also heard lots of these 'age old' wise advices.

I always had something about them, but until Kiyosaki pointed out to watch out for the people who give you the advice it was not fully clear to me.

Nowadays, I am willing to listen to almost anyone (at least for 2 minutes), but trying to establish their 'credentials', which is not necesseraly financial success, but integrity, natural intelligence, expertise in the area, WIIFM principle, etc, etc.

Based on the total picture I value the advice for more or less.

I have found that several 'wisdoms' as well as philosophies (life, investment, happines, etc) needs to 'customised' to me as well as to the times we are living. Pretty sure that my 'wisdoms' in several cases will be less/ir relevant, incorrect, false for my 8 years old daughter, by the time she grows up. Other will be still OK, but it will be up to her to decide.

Tibor

I thought of a few more that were gifted to me from my family :)

"You have to have money to make money"...got no money dont even think about making money.

Not a saying but the basic way of living for my family (in new age thinking this was our mission statement)
"Everyone wants to keep us down"...dont even try to get up, take it easy just do what you have to do no more!

To Aceyducey
I suppose you could add to the age debate, something I was asked by my regional manager about an 'experienced' staff member. I thought the person at the time was 'experienced' enough to be left to finish the given task.
His question was; "Yes, but does he have 10 years experience, or 1 years experience, 10 times?".
And for any conversation re false statements about money and power and gender, along the lines of 'Trust him, he must know what he is doing, look how much he has", I like the line, "There is more difference within the sexes than between the sexes, e.g. Hitler and Ghandi."
I guess 'due diligence' is needed everywhere.
jahn

Probably not relevant to this but I HATE it when someone starts a sentence to me by saying "That's nothing, back in my day". I fully understand their plight but their view of things seems to be that everything that ever happened to them was fraught with hardship and it all just falls in our lap. I totally agree with JoannaK in the fact that if someone tells me I can't do or achieve something, it makes me all the more determined. A goal reached that was bloody hard to achieve tastes Soooooooooo! much sweeter,
My 2 bobs worth.
Jim

Originally posted by Jimmyjamjars
Probably not relevant to this but I HATE it when someone starts a sentence to me by saying "That's nothing, back in my day".

Well youngster, back in MY day, when we wanted to become property investors, first we had to go out and discover a new continent!

- Yeah, the old days were different, rules have changed, experiences gained from them do not necessarily apply anymore.

Did you know that 'Computer' was a human job title prior to WWII....people with that experience have very little to add in a changed world ;).

Cheers,

Aceyducey

For me , the most limiting 'saying' was that "debt is bad".
I just don't like to think about how much this has cost me and my heirs. I have to thank Jan Somers writings and several seminars that pointed out the difference between "bad debt" and "good debt".
I now have zero "bad debt" and as much "good debt" as I can get my hands on .
You cannot save your way to wealth.
LL

Originally posted by Jimmyjamjars
Probably not relevant to this but I HATE it when someone starts a sentence to me by saying "That's nothing, back in my day".......

My 2 bobs worth.
Jim

That's nothing, back in my day, we didn't have 2 bob. :D :D

Just off the top of my head.....

I used to think that tax was a black and white matter, man was I wrong!!!

I once thought politicians thought about POLICY

Doctors and lawyers were rich people

Tradespeople were poor

Retiring meant stopping everything

The rest of my life would be easy because I did well at school

That when I finished uni I would never have to take work home again (LOL, I’m writing this on the laptop I took home from work on the weekend)

I thought being smart and being wise were the same thing

I would be ‘grown up’ by the time I was the age that I am now (LOL, not according to my wife)

TheBacon

Back