Duplex Home in Torquay, Vic

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a block in a new development in Torquay. I am currently living overseas and not in a hurry to build a house; however, I am considering building a duplex house on the property. I just called the council and the guy said it looks doable on my block and to apply for subdivision, etc.

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to real estate so forgive me for the simple questions.

1. I have no idea who I will build with, but I think it'll be one of the big builders as I don't have any special requirements and I'm happy to go with a "cookie-cutter" design, such as this: http://www.metricon.com.au/melbourne/multi-dwelling/dual-occupancy/mentone/facades#2769

I know that initial quotes from builders are unreliable. Does anyone have any idea what a build like this would cost? (each house area 196 square metres)

2. Any tips for which builders to use?

3. Anyone done this before? What pitfalls should I look out for?

4. Any other thoughts on the pros and cons of building a duplex? (The plan is to rent both out while living overseas and move in to one when I go back to Oz, then keep renting out or sell the other).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Back