Early retirement without a fortune

The SE Asia option does sound appealing.

Have been there for hols with the family a number of times and love the culture of the region.

Might have to add that to my Retirement List.

Well, it's a race with time as you have mentioned and with time the body and mind deteriorate and being "able" to do certain things becomes more and more in focus.

We've been living life along the way whilst working. Lots of trips here and there, not going with out some comfys etc etc...

I guess because we have lived in the bush most of our lives we are happy with the simple things and not in need of restaurants/theatres/city type stimulations on a regular basis.

Heck, we sit on the grass every evening with a drink (or 3) and watch the sunset and the birds making roost. It's fascinating...and can't help each and every time to think how lucky we are just to appreciate that simple thing.

Responded to an advert on Gumtree for a Jack Russell pup yesterday and after speaking with the lady, who is offering their pup for free as they are moving etc, she quizzed me on our place and where we live and what we do etc and she stopped in her tracks and said that we already live the life she and husband & kids aspire to.

Things like that remind us we have it "made" already and as time goes on can pull back on the "achieving" thing.

But then again, someone mentioned the mortgage word.....spoil sport...!!:D

Hi, I don't know about Thailand. I wouldn't live in Indonesia even if you paid me. But you can't live like a king on 20K p.a. in Malaysia.

A maid costs 1500Rgt a month & rising. Used to be 500.

A condominium unit in KL costs 2000Rgt per month.

I used to be given 1Rgt per day to buy food for a family of 9.

Now, I pay 9Rgt for a fish to feed only the two old people. The maid & I generally eat other food, I don't particularly like fish.

Just to give you all some info that's correct & current.

KY

Depends on weather and lifestyle. If world is your oyster then you can pick and choose, come and go as you please.

Also depends on the standard of living you are comfortable with. When we travel - we are quite happy in backpackers etc - when my folks travel - well......... there is a reason they call it a S. K. I. holiday.

Also - the question of littluns and knowing grandparents. They would be mortified if we moved to the other side of the world, just as we have a young family.

Grow it then mow it...now that's working :)

Agreed, plenty to do if not working, grow your own tucker for a start...then there is the volunteer stuff...make a difference to others' lives less fortunate.

Who said time is money...?

I really wonder about what I'd be doing when "retired", but...seriously all I want to do is go to the beach for long walks and swims and grow & mow the garden and help some others out in some way with some volunteering.

Throw in a couple of bucket list trips OS and I'd be happy with that.

I say don't think about what you will do when you retire, do what you want to do today, ie take that o/seas trip, don't wait just work towards it now.

I really believe we all plan too far ahead instead of looking at now/today.

MTR

I say don't think about what you will do when you retire, do what you want to do today, ie take that o/seas trip, don't wait just work towards it now.

I really believe we all plan too far ahead instead of looking at now/today.

MTR

Dont you worry MTR we are working on it.
Hawaii to start with incl some physical challenges while there, so yes not when the body is broken. Was going to be this Dec in time for the Billabong Pro at Pipeline, but sadly some unexpected hiccups this year so hoping for next Dec.;)

Only other place I wish to do is Ireland/UK. Love to just hire a car and get around staying in pubs, B&B's etc and exercising my passion for photography and having a few drinks with locals. Can do this when im 60 if I have to wait.

Only other thing intereting me ATM is China...that'll cost....

But I should have pointed out that these trips will be completed before.

Fully agree tho....long time dead.

Dont you worry MTR we are working on it.
Hawaii to start with incl some physical challenges while there, so yes not when the body is broken. Was going to be this Dec in time for the Billabong Pro at Pipeline, but sadly some unexpected hiccups this year so hoping for next Dec.;)

Only other place I wish to do is Ireland/UK. Love to just hire a car and get around staying in pubs, B&B's etc and exercising my passion for photography and having a few drinks with locals. Can do this when im 60 if I have to wait.

Only other thing intereting me ATM is China...that'll cost....

But I should have pointed out that these trips will be completed before.

Fully agree tho....long time dead.

Great stuff.
Japan this year, but China is somewhere I my list next year.

Hi, I don't know about Thailand. I wouldn't live in Indonesia even if you paid me. But you can't live like a king on 20K p.a. in Malaysia.

Now, I pay 9Rgt for a fish to feed only the two old people. The maid & I generally eat other food, I don't particularly like fish.

KY
Oh no. I won't be able to afford a maid when I retire to Malaysia.

If I was going to retire with my wife, I suspect that I could do without a maid. We both work full time and manage fine at home. Perhaps having a maid is a matter of raising one's expectations? (That translates to AUD500 pm?).

And I'm not sure if I'd want to go to KL to retire. Too busy.

I don't want to live like a king. Just comfortably. But even a KL condo at AUD500 pm? It would be close to that much per week in Australia.

Geoff
KL is so humid all the time, it will kill you, will need to be a prisoner to aircon.

Cheers, MTR

Once my kids became self sufficient and my mortgage was paid off, I invested what i wasn't spending anymore and kept the same lifestyle, so now my retirement nestegg is accelerating. I'm also slowly 'investing' in items that will give me an even cheaper lifestyle when I do retire eg. solar panels, small diesel car, synthetic lawn, low energy lighting (die halogen lights, die!), water tank, green house, etc. Finally, I'm seeking out good yielding investments as I think the days of bountiful capital gains in any asset class are behind us for then next decade at least. Property is not quite there yet.

This has been on my mind a lot lately. I've really enjoyed this blog - someone mentioned it around here before:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

This is a great blog! I really like the focus on "mindset" and the target audience - the "whiney" middle class.

I have been into this line of thinking for a few years & only recently got serious about "living it". Everyone here should have a look at this blog. Great stuff. ;)

KY

A friend of a friends, neighbours, uncle's brother said (well, close enough as it's that far removed) there were a couple of guys working on a mine-site he was on who worked on opposite swings, they had a place in Bali with Maid/Cook & Gardener and flew in and out for work purposes; as they worked opposite swings, there was always one of them there.

I also worked with a guy who had a beachside villa over there (loved diving & photography).

I read a story about a retired couple who own a own a small villa in the quiet seaside town of Sanur (an island in Bali, Indonesia) where they spend six months a year and escape the Canadian Winters (me....I'd rather go to Canada for a winter, just goes to show you're always chasing what you don't have :D).

If on a tighter budget, maybe Lombok

Bali's not my cup of tea, though for others...they love the place

We live the summer in canada, and summer in Australia. Other than our flights, and the costs of of vehicles ($6k each average) we live on $1000 a month for the 2 of us.

We started in Melbourne at the end of September, and making our way to Townsville, then to Darwin, and then back to Tennant Creek for mid Nov. The owner invited us back at the roadhouse, because he needs someone he can trust with the water pumps so they can travel OS and visit family.
After they return, we have no clue where we will go. We have the map of Australia in the camper van, and we color in where we have been.This is our third year of "retirement".
We take advantage of free camping areas and showrs whenever possible, and go to camping grounds when not.

We have our rentals in Canada, and this year has been the year from hell, as far as getting tenants to actually pay their rent. Thankfully we are naturally frugal, so it doesn't really affect us...other than making me anoyed at the tenants.

When at the campground last night, watching the parrots playing in the trees, by the river, in sunny warm Queensland, Rob wondered how many others were making homemade chicken soup with their chicken carcass on the stove?
Later today we are going to a Pioneer Heritage Village.

For many this may not seem like a retirement worth having, but at 48 & 52 years old, I think it is pretty great. I don't see us doing this for very many years, but I bet I have seen more of Australia than many.

Visited the grave of my great great grandmother in Maryborough, Qld this week. My father would be pleased.

Like someone said, it doesn't take a lot of money to retire. The simple things are great too.

To each, their own

KY

Not trying to offend, but what is it with Malaysians and their obsession/need to mention ringitt like its the 2nd most used currency in Australia?

every malaysian person ive met once you start talking about cost of living or whatever, just reverts to ringitt straight away, and looks at you funny when you cant convert to AUD straight away?

It doesnt seem to happen with the Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese, Koreans, Singaporeans etc?

I know a guy who sold his modest house in Sydney and has retired to Thailand in his early 30s. I see him sometimes when I am over there and he has no intention of ever working again. He lives a simple life and spends about $12,000 AUD per year including Thai language school so as to get a student visa. He just spends his time keeping fit, going to the gym, sitting on the beach eating/drinking coconuts (20B or 75c each for icy cold ones) etc. He is into his 3rd year now.

His philosophy was to retire asap as you never know when your life can end so have your fun now!

I know a guy who sold his modest house in Sydney and has retired to Thailand in his early 30s. I see him sometimes when I am over there and he has no intention of ever working again. He lives a simple life and spends about $12,000 AUD per year including Thai language school so as to get a student visa. He just spends his time keeping fit, going to the gym, sitting on the beach eating/drinking coconuts (20B or 75c each for icy cold ones) etc. He is into his 3rd year now.

His philosophy was to retire asap as you never know when your life can end so have your fun now!

I know guys who do that but dont have to sell their house, they rent it out and sit on the beach in the philippines ,care free and enjoying lifes pleasures, while their net worth is increasing. And others that dont even own their house but still do it they sub lease the property they are renting , for ridiculous amounts during holiday periods, and the snow season, live overseas for3 or 6 months a year, some are on social security benefits who go 2x3 months. In 1994 met a pensioner who was living in the paradise in Leyte for less than $30.00 a month, I suppose you could still do it now for less than 300 a month, as the peso is about 43 now instead of about 22 to the dollar.

Not trying to offend, but what is it with Malaysians and their obsession/need to mention ringitt like its the 2nd most used currency in Australia?

every malaysian person ive met once you start talking about cost of living or whatever, just reverts to ringitt straight away, and looks at you funny when you cant convert to AUD straight away?

It doesnt seem to happen with the Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese, Koreans, Singaporeans etc?

Just divide Malaysian ringgit by 3 to get Australian dollar in a rough approximation. Hence, RM30 is about Aust $10. :D

We live the summer in canada, and summer in Australia. Other than our flights, and the costs of of vehicles ($6k each average) we live on $1000 a month for the 2 of us.

Wow, more power to you if you can live in Australia for only $1000 a month!!!

That is only $12000 per year! :eek:

Owning a house (rather than "couch hopping" ... tongue in cheek) would eat nearly $2500 of that in rates and insurance.... That leaves $9500 and if you own a car, deduct another $1000 for the year in Rego, Insurance, maintenance & 1/2 a tank of gas per month! That leaves $8500 for food, clothing, electricity/gas/water, medical, etc.... with energy prices in Australia I think you would be hard pressed to have both electricity & food....

I definitely could not support 2 on $12K a year unless I got a major expense for free.... like housing or food or transport or something....

You are doing it, so it must be "possible"...... but we would need at least twice that amount as a minimum, to live in Australia. ;)

Well done!

This has been a great thread to read. A couple of years ago I started trading the markets as a means to an end. I can work from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection. I took courses and learned to trade effectivly as a skill like any other.

Now when people ask me what I do, I say "Anything I like!" It helps to be single with no dependants and with a passion for motorcycling I could never be bored as there are so many amazing roads on the planet to be ridden.

No one yet has mentioned house swapping. Next year I am planning to do a home exchange for a few months in the UK so I can see the Isle of Man TT and do the Alps (I also have family there). The homeexchange website is great for a bit of armchair travel and I have found lots of retirees from all over the world who have family and grandkids here in Perth and want to visit for extended priods but not live with the family.

It only takes a moment to decide to change your life.

The only dilemma is how to fit it all in.

Back