Eastern States workers not keen to relocate.

I heard Stephen Mayne speak at a conference recently, and part of it was suggesting some of the 'uniqueness' of the Australian market. This was one of the points he suggested, that compared with somewhere like the USA where people will move cities to where the work is, Aussies don't want to move for work. (Obviously a generalisation).

Yan to this articles Ying

Interesting. I have enquired about jobs in WA, admittedly not FIFO jobs referred to in the article, but white collar roles and have been told to come over to Perth first because it will be easier. Unless I am headhunted.

further to my comments a few months ago regarding "moving where the jobs are" - seems it's finally been picked up in the media.

if aussie workers won't move to where the work is, then we need to import them on 457s.

period.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...-keen-to-go-west/story-e6frg13u-1226512234568

It won't work.

From a family perspective, FIFO supposedly puts a strain on the home life and marriages.

Considering that the average construction project goes for 1-2 years, I'd suggest it would put more strain on a family having to uproot every year or two to move around to the next job.

My partner would much prefer to be based in the eastern states, surrounded by family, while I'm away for two weeks at a time.

Am I taking this in the right context?

Cheers

Rooster

It won't work.

From a family perspective, FIFO supposedly puts a strain on the home life and marriages.

Considering that the average construction project goes for 1-2 years, I'd suggest it would put more strain on a family having to uproot every year or two to move around to the next job.

My partner would much prefer to be based in the eastern states, surrounded by family, while I'm away for two weeks at a time.

Am I taking this in the right context?

Cheers

Rooster

Yes, except construction rosters aren't 2&1 they are typically 4&1 or 5&1.

Sounds good in theory but generally your partner will get fed up with you being away, not realize the magnitude of the sacrifice being made by you, be bored and probably leave with half (or more) of what you worked bloody hard for. You will then be permanently stuck in FIFO paying a ridiculously obscene amount of child support essentially supporting your ex-partner (and her new drop kick partner no doubt) who doesn't have to work and can drink coffee and do yoga all day.

Have heard this story countless times. Not an issue if your single though :D

half of WA does it.....? must truly be an eastern states thing not wanting the work.

in that case, tell the unions to shut the hell up and allow these 457s in.

They'd be more keen to move west if mining companies weren't importing people to reduce wage inflation.

457s are required to be paid award rates, ignoramus. anything you hear otherwise is union propaganda.

eastenders wont move west, hence the NEED for 457s. don't put the cart before the horse in this argument.

Yes, except construction rosters aren't 2&1 they are typically 4&1 or 5&1.

Sounds good in theory but generally your partner will get fed up with you being away, not realize the magnitude of the sacrifice being made by you, be bored and probably leave with half (or more) of what you worked bloody hard for. You will then be permanently stuck in FIFO paying a ridiculously obscene amount of child support essentially supporting your ex-partner (and her new drop kick partner no doubt) who doesn't have to work and can drink coffee and do yoga all day.

Have heard this story countless times. Not an issue if your single though :D

I work 2/2.

I agree with the countless families being split up from guys doing the 4/1 or 5/1 grind. Minimal family units could sustain that long term.

Your points above aren't exactly what the article was about, although they are valid just the same.

I have a good ole belly laugh at the comments section every time. Uneducated posters twisting and contorting a story without actually understanding the point of the article. The east v west sprays are the best!

Rooster

457s are required to be paid award rates, ignoramus. anything you hear otherwise is union propaganda.

eastenders wont move west, hence the NEED for 457s. don't put the cart before the horse in this argument.

Agreed that if people in the eastern states aren't prepared to take up the jobs in the west then they can't complain if those roles need to be filled by 457 visa workers.

However, the eastenders don't have to move west if FIFO is offered.

There is just as many Perthites not prepared to up stumps and live in a mining town as there are eastern staters.

Rooster

No **** but you don't think when some companies are desperate for workers they are forced to pay above award wages to get the workers they need? I guess not if they can turn on the foreign worker spigot.

i live in the east and to FIFO to NW WA and wouldnt want it any other way i love it.
Most guys over 40 have been divorced once before and lost a house and paying child support. here that story all the time because its a single mans game. or get in for a couple of years and get out if your married. being Australian im am the minority out here there is more Irish, kiwi, english and scottish here. gets me thinking whats going with the country?

No **** but you don't think when some companies are desperate for workers they are forced to pay above award wages to get the workers they need? I guess not if they can turn on the foreign worker spigot.

what, you mean they can pay award wages instead of 2 days pay for half a days work?

cry me a river.

i live in the east and to FIFO to NW WA and wouldnt want it any other way i love it.
Most guys over 40 have been divorced once before and lost a house and paying child support. here that story all the time because its a single mans game. or get in for a couple of years and get out if your married. being Australian im am the minority out here there is more Irish, kiwi, english and scottish here. gets me thinking whats going with the country?

Can I ask what you do and what tickets got you a job there?
My vague plan is to go WA and do some tickets (HR, working at heights, first aid etc) then knock on some recruitment places like Richardson's. Do I have a chance?
I want to work hard for the next 3-4yrs and qualify for some big loans to gear myself into retirement.

Last edited:
I had hubby doing a FIFO to SA a few years back. Hated it.

For two weeks I had to make all decisions, run the house and family and basically be the solitary single parent boss - and then he'd arrive back expecting everyone to instantly fall into line. It was a difficult period and a bit of a power struggle.

I can understand why so many families fall apart. If there are other options we would never do it again.

Hi Jak

Anything is possible. If you want to get out here with no qualifications it is very hard but can be done its usually who you no though. My trade as a sparky and experience got me here.

You would want to be applying for TA positions in mining construction.
Tickets to get you are good chance of a foot in the door.
-High risk EWP
-Working at heights and Confined spaces.
-Senior first aid and HR license
Also my favourite facebook page " jobs in mining" will help you out alot.

Thanks Fox, appreciate the reply.
Happy to work as a TA but hope to find work as a drillers offsider with the aim of training up to be a driller. Have a friend who works as a chef for Rio Tinto at Yandi who has given me lots of good info what it's like in the camps. It really would feel like going o'seas as someone mentioned but i think the FIFO lifestyle would be good.

Interesting article here: depression-the-dark-side-of-mining-boom

817186-woodside-dongas.jpg

WESTERN Australia's Pilbara is no place for weakness. Every day, plane-loads of workers are flown in to grind out long shifts on the region's mines, amid the searing heat and red dust, for weeks at time. It's a macho culture, where you are expected to work hard, play harder and earn big money.

But news earlier this year that one of them had lain dead in his donga, a portable accommodation hut, unnoticed and apparently unmissed, for up to two weeks at a work camp for Woodside's $14 billion Pluto liquefied natural gas project disturbed many.

---

Lilleyman is no stranger to the FIFO lifestyle, having worked away from his family between 1997 and 2001, and acknowledges it's a tough gig, especially when your children are young.

"It's very difficult to maintain a relationship with your kids over the phone," he says. But he says the lifestyle also has its advantages, such as having a long block of time at home with the family during the off-weeks, as well as financial and career opportunities.

McCartney, who also worked as a FIFO in the Pilbara, says the experience helped his family financially but that now, aged 60, he regrets missing so much of his kids' childhood. "It tears at me," he says.

There are plenty of stories of FIFOs who do handle the experience well, usually those with a clear idea of what they want to achieve and people to support them in these goals. Others are often unprepared for the consequences of earning a lot of money and separation from loved ones.

"When you spend lots of time away, that absence begins to deteriorate the marriage. It causes relationship breakdown, tensions, and affairs can develop," OzHelp chief executive Brenton Tainsh says. "So everything that they've been working for can just fall apart. That causes an almost instantaneous suicide in people's minds because they think, 'there's no point me going on because that's what we're working for'."

Back