Ebay Floorboards- any good?

Geee i would imagine delivery to be either expensive or "very bulky"

I would hate to be the courier for that delivery :)

Regards
Michael

Stuff that. Go to Ikea, $12.95, no worries about reliability and 10 year guarentee. Very good against wear and tear, they use it in their own stores ;) You can also return any spare packs you didn't need if you have any left over. Big saver there.

I'll up a pic of my PPOR's Ikea flooring tomorrow in the light if anyones interested.

Stuff that. Go to Ikea, $12.95, no worries about reliability and 10 year guarentee. Very good against wear and tear, they use it in their own stores ;) You can also return any spare packs you didn't need if you have any left over. Big saver there.

I'll up a pic of my PPOR's Ikea flooring tomorrow in the light if anyones interested.

Hi CJ

I'd be keen to have a look. We're currently on the search for floating floors. Did you check out the stock at Bunnings?

Might have to pop into Ikea next time I'm up in Sydney :)

Cheers

Jamie

Hi CJ

I'd be keen to have a look. We're currently on the search for floating floors. Did you check out the stock at Bunnings?

Might have to pop into Ikea next time I'm up in Sydney :)

Cheers

Jamie

Hey Jamie, apparently there is a store opening this year in Canberra! :D

We have Ikea stuff in our kitchen - the next price bracket up from the $12 one though, it was the kitchen suitable range. Looks wonderful, dead easy to lay (you do need a floating floor installing kit and underlay). The only issue we found was some of the packs were damaged and the boards had little chips off the corners, or we chipped them while laying them, so had to put those on the edges under the skirtings.

if you're putting it in an apartment - you're not going to be install it legally as they need to be fire rated.

I used to do it myself but nowadays - I normally got my own crew 200sqm laid in 1 day easy with top workmanship.

photo0059.jpg

photo0060nl.jpg

photo0061g.jpg

House a mess, phone camera and lack of lighting, but you get the idea.

$12.95 (previously $19) per square metre. 60sqm laid, no defects with any of the boards. I had them laid professionally as I'm time poor, cost $18/square metre installed including beeding etc. The installer said Ikea flooring is incredibly easy to lay. I do suggest buy a different brand lining, as the Ikea lining takes a lot longer to set up as its seperated between the spongy stuff and the water proof sheeting.

As for durability, I've dropped hammers and my cordless drill too many times already on the floor, without a scratch or dent to be seen. Its very strong stuff, trying to break the offcuts down to fit in the bin showed me this.

nice pics. that's a blackbutt oak i think

Is that an apartment?

Have to be careful with the moisture levels on the floors if you're on the ground floor or in a house as it can affect the boards.

Looks good no doubt!!. well done!

Melbournian- Do you mean the ebay ones aren't fire tested or the ikea ones?

CJ, I'm uber impressed!

Would I possibly be able to get the name of your installer? That is an awesome price and looks like they did a great job! Just to clarify- do you mean $18 per metre including installation and everything else or cost of floorboards + $18 per sq metre installation fee?

Just took a look at the Ikea website and couldn't see the $12m2 ones?

Melbournian: This is a house and yes I've been told about keeping an eye on moisture.

jodes92: Don't know if the installer would be too handy for you as they are in Adelaide, while your location tag says NSW.

Looking at the Ikea website, I think the $12.95 price downgrade seems to be State-specific, as it comes up in SA but not NSW.

The $18/square metre is only the install price. After getting an installer I would definitely recommend going down that route unless you really want to save as much as possible, as these contractors came in at 7am and finished cleaning up the house by 1pm. Now if I did it, we'd be looking at a week minimum. :D

I've used the 12.5mm laminate from Lion King Flooring on ebay. Much better quality product that the thin laminates from Bunnings, Ikea etc. Scratch/Dint/Water resistant as well.

Melbournian- Do you mean the ebay ones aren't fire tested or the ikea ones?

You need to have them fire rated - if they're in multi residential unit - it's in the BCA code. if you don't and owners corp find out - they legally can go in and rip out the floors if they request a certificate and it is not provided.

Also - if you sell your apartment - and if the lawyer requests for it - they can get out of the contract. I wouldn't buy those ebay ones if you going to install them in an apartment. You're only putting yourself in trouble.

I just used Universal Flooring off e-bay for bamboo. I ordered the sample kit $15 and then he sent his brochure with it and I dealt with him direct "off ebay". He responded to emails really quickly. Delivery was 24 hours from when i paid and not too expensive $160 from Sydney to Newcastle and the product was excellent and cheap.

HTH

Rochelle

I just used Universal Flooring off e-bay for bamboo. I ordered the sample kit $15 and then he sent his brochure with it and I dealt with him direct "off ebay". He responded to emails really quickly. Delivery was 24 hours from when i paid and not too expensive $160 from Sydney to Newcastle and the product was excellent and cheap.

HTH

Rochelle
I have used the same people,very good to deal with,product amazing.

What price are we talking for the bamboo and how easy is it to install?

We're looking at it here (strandwoven coffee) and it is $90/sqm, which really adds up considering we want to do all the living areas in it, so pretty much half the house.

Just looked at my order and I ordered 51.5m2 including planks, underlay, trims and install kit and delivery (which i think was $160 + $25 insurance) came to $3307.

This did a very big lounge/dining area/kitchen area and hallway. This was for 14mm clicklock strandwoven natural bamboo.

Make sure you get the clicklock. Its sooo easy to install and because its clicklock it cant come apart. Make sure you leave room for expansion under the trim or skirts.

It was back breaking work (for my husband not for me!) but he said it was very easy to put down. Just a pain more than anything ie: bending over all the time.....but it was worth it. It looks great.

Cheers
R

Back