EBM Insurance

Thanks Bret.
Thanks also for commenting on my deleted message. I thought it was a stupid question when no one answered.
Anyway, need more clarity on this. Some providers say that a dishwasher which is connected to plumbing as well as a oven thats connected to the main gas system is part of building but not belonging to contents. Is that correct.

Ovens are generally classed as part of the building however if it is not the "original" one and has been replaced at some stage it is very questionable. Leave it with me, I'm going to get some more clarification on this for you as there is there is quite a bit of debate about it. Dishwashers are quite a question mark, and I have just been told that the air conditioners are the most questionable of the lot and it varies by State. I will have a chat with a couple of claims people and try to get you the best answer I can, bearing in mind it can easily vary depending on the Insurer.

This whole question is as clear as mud. I have spoken to both a RentCover claims manager and a general broker, they both agree that it is a very questionable area.

From a RentCover viewpoint (and this may be different with other policies), we regard items such as ovens, dishwashers and air-conditioners as part of the building, as that's how we believe they should be classed. The exception is air-conditioners in Queensland which apparently are always regarded as contents rather than building (as long as it is only servicing the individual unit), go figure the logic being different in one State.

If the building insurer denies a claim on the basis that they consider the item contents rather than building, then we can certainly look at it in relation to cover, as well as making sure the building insurer has justified grounds to deny it.

I checked on the question about if the ovens had been replaced as to what difference it made, and as a general rule they are still accepted by the building insurer, except in Queensland where again they are often classed as contents.

I guess the most important thing is that you make sure you are covered adequately for both so that at the end of the day you will be covered. In a Strata unit you won't have control over the building policy but it's not hard to make sure that the contents sum insured has plenty of room to move. RentCover for example has a standard $50,000 contents.

tax deduction against property insurance

My Investment property is purchased jointly with my wife on a 80-20 basis.
The insurance policy I purchased has only my name. Does it have an effect during tax deductions?

Back