Effects of living near coal power station?

I've done what I said I'd never do - buy a house near a coal power station (well pending inspection of property).

The house is less than 2km as the crow flies from the coal station emission stacks. This is incredibly close in my opinion, I did a bit of research a while back about living in close proximity to these polluting death machines and some studies show a higher incidence of cancer in surrounding areas.

Any opinions on this? I aim to move out within 5 years to minimize any harmful effects.

Which way is the prevailing winds? Towards you or away from?

I would expect theat there would be strict EPA requirements on their emissions. Most coal fired stations will have precipators that remove all solids and particlulates from the end product anyway.

The problem with those studies is that there are equal and opposite studies which say otherwise.
You may just as easy be hit by a bus, or an out of control hoon driver tomorrow as die from cancer at some time in the future from our toxic environment.

kp

Well I grew up in Gladstone Qld - coal powerstation emissions from one direction and alumina refinery emissions from the other. Apart from being asthmatic which I don't believe had anything to do with the emissions I am fine - no cancer, no extra head etc.

I think it's actually better to be closer to the power station as the wind carries the plume and deposits it further away from the house.

Back