Electoral representation?

Several ALP members are supporting Lisa Clutterham for preselection in Gillard's electorate of Lalor.

Clutterham is not an ALP member, but that doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is that she's never lived in Melbourne let alone in the electorate of Lalor.

So now we're not even pretending that MPs are supposed to be representing their electorate?

Those supporting her are presumably trying to take preselection power away from the factional 'warlords', but do they need to spit on the public in the process?

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...look-set-to-contest-lalor-20130710-2pqfl.html

Newcastle (Charleston) had that in the form of Greg Combet ... he was a powerbroker in government but did absolutely nothing for the electorate.

Not even sure if he lived there when not in Canberra

None of them live in the electorate except for the school principal?

Thi one's from Sydney
The Bill Shorten backed one lived in a mansion in Parkville
I suspect the ex Keating minister's daughter didn't live there either.

I don't think you need to live in an electorate to do a good job of representing it. In some cases, an outsider without bias and vested interests may do a better job. Of course the candidate needs to understand the area.

I could probably do a good job of representing people in a few electorates that I understand but don't live in.

With her now a member of the Labor Party and GPS's being fitted into cars as standard I don't see what the fuss is :D.

EdB, she's not from Melbourne and only just joined the Labor Party.

Rudd would do well to snub any factonal picks but not if he's picking candidates for the same self serving purposes.

This imo reflects what he thinks of the people of Lalor.

I don't think you need to live in an electorate to do a good job of representing it. In some cases, an outsider without bias and vested interests may do a better job. Of course the candidate needs to understand the area.

I could probably do a good job of representing people in a few electorates that I understand but don't live in.

Considering she's never even lived in Melbourne and has only briefly visited the electorate, I don't see how she can understand the area at all.

Rudd would do well to snub any factonal picks but not if he's picking candidates for the same self serving purposes.

This imo reflects what he thinks of the people of Lalor.

My sentiments exactly.

Not sure what you are concerned about? The fact that 60% of people in Lalor vote ALP as their first preference no matter who is in charge means that they can put Hannibal Lecter as the ALP candidate and they will vote him in.

Not sure what you are concerned about? The fact that 60% of people in Lalor vote ALP as their first preference no matter who is in charge means that they can put Hannibal Lecter as the ALP candidate and they will vote him in.

That made me laugh :p I'm surprised it's only 60%

MPs are supposed to represent their electorate. I'm concerned that prominent ALP members (including our PM, it would appear) would endorse somebody who joined the party just to be preselected, who has never lived in the state or city and who hasn't even been to most (if any) of the suburbs in the electorate.

I know a lot of candidates 'pretend' to live in their electorates and bought houses in their electorates solely to be eligible to run, but they used to at least be a bit sly about this and they didn't openly broadcast their irrelevance to their seats and the people they are supposed to be representing. To me, it seems politicians are increasingly contemptuous of voters and the political process and the ALP are only proving it to be so.

The fact that Lalor is such a safe seat is irrelevant. Whether it's a safe seat or a marginal seat, MPs are supposed to be representing their electorates. Just because a charismatic Lithuanian-American cannibal could be voted in, doesn't mean that he'd be qualified to represent the electorate.

Nobody mention Barnaby Joyce. I did once but I think I got away with it ;)

Barnaby has come home. He's not a fly in.

He was born in Tamworth. Grew up in and went to school in Woolbrook, he went to university in Armidale. His girls were born in Tamworth. He started work in and around Tamworth. I played rugby with him for a year at Quirindi while he worked in the area as an accountant in 1994. He has relos all around the electorate. His wife was born in Manilla, near Tamworth.

Basically he is a Tamworth local who moved away for 15 years.

See ya's.

I think if the system was reformed, we'd actually get some talented people in to government, rather than professional politics or people who are puppets of party machines.

I think if the system was reformed, we'd actually get some talented people in to government, rather than professional politics or people who are puppets of party machines.

I'm not opposed to reformation of the preselection process, particularly a move away from the 'party machine', but surely we can manage to source talented candidates who at least reside in the same city as their electorates? Plus, at 29, this one is the picture of an aspiring professional politician.

Anyway, apparently Rudd has doesn't like her (though many of his cohorts do, so the media assumed he was in on it and took the bait) and isn't giving his endorsement. He basically said her radio interview was rubbish and she isn't an appropriate candidate, so I don't like her chances now.

I'm not opposed to reformation of the preselection process, particularly a move away from the 'party machine', but surely we can manage to source talented candidates who at least reside in the same city as their electorates? Plus, at 29, this one is the picture of an aspiring professional politician.

Anyway, apparently Rudd has doesn't like her (though many of his cohorts do, so the media assumed he was in on it and took the bait) and isn't giving his endorsement. He basically said her radio interview was rubbish and she isn't an appropriate candidate, so I don't like her chances now.

Paying more will attract more talent. Albeit for the wrong reasons. But it'll attract talent.

Yikes. Why is Bill Shorten supporting her? Is he a mole planted by the Coalition determined to make the ALP seem as shady as possibly?

*shakes head*

Same shady faction, that's why.

Check out her husband and you'll gasp.

It's a sad state of affairs that politics these days is not about policies and ideals. Probably like that around the world though.

Yikes. Why is Bill Shorten supporting her? Is he a mole planted by the Coalition determined to make the ALP seem as shady as possibly?

*shakes head*

Bill Shorten is the boss of labor, dont you worry about that.;)

he is the common denominator around all things labor regarding leadership spills. And he's so clever he's on both sides...!

What a ledgend! Smoke and mirrors guy galore!

Barnaby has come home. He's not a fly in.

He was born in Tamworth. Grew up in and went to school in Woolbrook, he went to university in Armidale. His girls were born in Tamworth. He started work in and around Tamworth. I played rugby with him for a year at Quirindi while he worked in the area as an accountant in 1994. He has relos all around the electorate. His wife was born in Manilla, near Tamworth.

Basically he is a Tamworth local who moved away for 15 years.

See ya's.

How will Barnaby wearing a maroon's jersey go down in Tamworth?

Back