Electrcity account while vacant

You said we should not jump to conclusions, but with only half a story, isn't that kind of understandable?

Professionals who get paid to answer questions insist on a 10 page detailed form being filled out before they even think about commenting, so that the people asking for advice don't turn around and say to them "oh, did I forget to mention <insert blah blah> which renders everything useless now".

"Don't worry about if I have a job or am married or have kids, I just wanna know how to retire in 2 years time. Just restrict your answers to that question."

I can now see why they refuse to answer anything until that detailed 10 page form is filled out.

GDay,
I have a rental property that has been vacant now for 3 months +. The company who were supplying the previous tenant electricity has sent me a bill for Service to property charge of $1 per day since vacant.
I called them and they said I have to pay it. It is to keep the power infrastructure in good order. I told them I was not using any infrastructure while disconnected so I shouldn't have to pay, they disagreed.
I called the Victorian Electrical Ombudsmen, I spoke to a lady who said yes I have to pay....grrrrr.

I called the supplier back after a few more days to tell them my details, as they only had ""To The Occupier"" addressed on the bill, and spoke to a service assistant. He after speaking to his manager said I don't have to pay anything, as in Victoria it is illegal to bill the landlord of a vacant house the service fee!!!!!

Has anyone else heard of this? Or has anyone been paying this??

Cheers
legs:D

Hi Legs,

Call and explain the situation to the retailer and tell them you'd like to open up an 'unknown tenant procedure'.

Cheers Spades.

Last edited:
Sheesh! We were only trying to be helpful...

You said we should not jump to conclusions, but with only half a story, isn't that kind of understandable? I think most replies were trying to help you find a tenant. If only we knew you weren't looking... but you didn't mention that.

Had you said it was empty because you were trying to sell, most of us would understand completely. Most of us here would advise having a house empty of tenants to sell.

Then you would have avoided some of the comments you didn't want or need.

I totally understand, however there's a way to do that...

I totally understand, however there's a way to do that...

??? I'm not sure what that means?

Anyway, good luck with the sale. We are about to list a property (after negotiating with tenants to leave early so we could have full access and dress the house).

These tenants were fabulous, happy to resettle before the school year started. Their furniture was amazing and the agent said she would have been happy to photograph their things (if they allowed) but once they moved we had an empty house again, so short term hire furniture is going in as I type.

I just hope it sells.

??? I'm not sure what that means?

Anyway, good luck with the sale. We are about to list a property (after negotiating with tenants to leave early so we could have full access and dress the house).

These tenants were fabulous, happy to resettle before the school year started. Their furniture was amazing and the agent said she would have been happy to photograph their things (if they allowed) but once they moved we had an empty house again, so short term hire furniture is going in as I type.

I just hope it sells.

What I mean is this: instead of saying I'm in a pickle, I've got bigger things to worry about, etc., why not ask why it's been empty so long, was it my intention, etc.

I appreciate the advice, really. It's just the presumptions that annoyed me.

My apologies. I was actually composing my post when you replied, so I didn't see your post.

We just get so many people apparently worrying big time over small issues. It becomes a repetitive theme- a lot of time is spent discussing small amounts of money. It is quite possible for people to forget the big picture.

I've had the vacancy period sting me before.

A property which was vacant beyond 30 days (insurer informed) was broken into on the 35th day. Stole the toilet (yes it was mounted!), attempted the kitchen, some tools/paint etc. Caused more damage than what they actually made off with, no policy coverage.

Back