Electric power tower - avoid or ok to buy?

more of a visual than an EMR thing most likely due to the inverse square law.

it must be well priced otherwise you would not be asking the q ?

ta

rolf

Hi,
I have the view of these towers from the backyard in one of my properties it did not stop me buying, as long as price is right. The value of my property from others in the same area has not declined at all.

Macca

There has been no discount priced in for the view, unfortunately :(.

I feel it may be more difficult to sell in the future than a property which did not face a tower, but wanted to see what you guys thought?

Hi,
How long property been on the market might give you an insight,but personally if the numbers stack up having the towers there would not bother me , as I hold long term.

Macca

It's interesting with undesirable qualities in homes. I know most people here will disagree, but I think it can actually be a positive.
Home buyers worry about things like electricity towers, busy roads or railway tracks much more than tenants do.
So the discount that you get when buying a property like that generally outweighs the the discount that you have to give to a tenant for living there.

It seems that those sorts of places often have a higher rate of return because they are undesirable to buyers.

Sure, they'll always be worth less than a property without those negative sides, but they'll generally increase in value at the same rate as unaffected properties.

One of my houses is on a busy road and another is opposite railway tracks. 8.8% is pretty difficult to get in Rockhampton and that's what I have with the railway one.

Obviously each to their own, but this works for me.

But in regards to the question asked: Stay away from the property if it doesn't come with a significant discount.

Would you avoid a property where your front of your property is facing a electric power tower?

i.e you step out of your house and this is your view...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Prospect,+NSW+2148&hl=en&ll=-33.797979,150.916572&spn=0.003401,0.004399&sll=-33.79798,150.916574&sspn=0.003419,0.004399&t=h&hnear=Prospect+New+South+Wales,+Australia&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-33.797996,150.916688&panoid=ZPn8MPPrb22-OEIHMUO9ig&cbp=12,143.04,,0,-2.47[/

In SA we call them xmas trees,they do have a lot of stigma attached to them with do they affect our health?I dont know,thats another thread starter,but the visual impact for me is a real turn off,in a new subdivision not far from where i live,they have these towers,i have watched the developer slash the prices as they will not sell at the price they want,and they were priced fairly to start with.

As others have said, as long as the numbers stack up then its fine.

However I have found that most vendors do not discount the price which is just a turn off and I dont even bother to look at the property.

However I have found that most vendors do not discount the price which is just a turn off and I dont even bother to look at the property.

Ditto... there are so many properties out there that it's not worth looking at stuff with problems -- unless the problems can be fixed some way to increase value.

Back