Electrical Work in the Backyard

As a licensed electrical contractor and r/e agent in WA, I let you know that it is definitely against the law to perform any electrical work. The exception is low voltage installation.
Any electrician who signs off work not performed by him/her is a fool. Yes the client may dig the trench but I would install the conduit myself.
In WA all electrical work requires a safety certificate, no matter how small the job is. I always write them out as I invoice the client. So all recent electrical work in WA can be traced. Why Australia has to have a different licence system for every state or territory..... I don't know. The clever country? :eek:There should be one licence nation wide for everything. Trades, Driving etc. :confused:

You asked what tools you need to dig a trench. In an earlier post i pointed out that if its a short distance, get a trenching shovel, if its longer, get a dingo with a trenching attachment. So maybe you didn't read the thread.

electroinvestor,

240 volt is considered 'low voltage', i think you mean 'extra low voltage' installations.

And any householder can glue a few sticks of conduit together, put some string in and throw it in the ground. Especially under the guidance of a sparkie.

Its no big deal. I wish sparkies would stop being so precious about this stuff.

I have. My intention is to have the sparky remove the existing cabling. Then I do the trenching and have them come back to lay the cables back.

Whats illegal or unsafe about that?

Its no big deal. I wish sparkies would stop being so precious about this stuff.

Precious about what?

It is written in the code, ie: AS/NZ3000

Really, it is people that like to play weekend Electricians that give qualified Electricians the label Rip offs.

The amount of work I've attended to over the years - where Hubby thought he could instantly become master of the Trade and botched up the work is not a laughing matter. It is dangerous to the point that death can occur to either him or one of his family members. Get it into your thick heads and stop playing with something you cannot see, and least wise know much about.
When it bites, it bites bad.

Ok evand,
Below 50v is extra low voltage. No licence required. Just because some people can complete a circuit does not make them electricians. Almost every week I see some crappy and illegal work carried out by "experts". Often this work is very dangerous. Like supply to a garden shed buried 100mm below the lawn and run in thin walled black poly retic pipe. House was for sale and the owner was proud of his work. Told me it works and swore at me when I criticized his job.
Or a brass screw inserted into a fuse link with the comment "since I put it in the power never failed":eek:
I could go on and on, better not.

Back