Electricity and gas connection to apartment

Does anyone know if I need to connect electricity and gas to an apartment unit before moving in? Apparently, I am thinking of staying in for a few days upon settlement, but I am not sure if apartment is any different to a house, do we need to connect electricity and gas or is it already there?

Does anyone know if I need to connect electricity and gas to an apartment unit before moving in? Apparently, I am thinking of staying in for a few days upon settlement, but I am not sure if apartment is any different to a house, do we need to connect electricity and gas or is it already there?

Should already be connected and running if its established and not new, but you would need to change it into your name for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Should already be connected and running if its established and not new, but you would need to change it into your name for obvious reasons.

Ah I see. But I am going to rent it out, so I guess i could stay in for a few days and then let the tenant to switch the name. But electricity and gas and water should be there right?

I cant speak for SA and how they bill/charge but in Victoria:

Water is already on and bills will usually default to the name recorded. At settlement I expect your conveyancer will change into your name. When a tenant moves in (that's if they pay for water usage) then they (or agent) contact water company and transfer into their name. The owner continues to pay service charges. I know in some other states the owner/LL pays for both service and usage. I always make a point of checking the water bill to ensure that I am not paying for usage charges.

With electricity, if you want this to be on then you need to contact the electricity company to switch this on, but there is usually a connection fee added to your first bill and typically a 1-2 day wait. That is unless the former tenants/owners have left it on but most will have this disconnected as soon as they move out.

With gas, I don't believe it actually gets shut off but I'm really not sure (best to check). I assume this is for your stove. There could also be charges involved to get the bill into your name. Again, best to check with the gas company.

In Victoria,Vendor supposed to arrange to get electricity and gas disconnected.
After the settlement it is up to the buyer/tenant to sign up with a retailer and get reconnected.
Cheers Spades.

Ah I see. But I am going to rent it out, so I guess i could stay in for a few days and then let the tenant to switch the name. But electricity and gas and water should be there right?

Doesn't work that way.After settlement you have to arrange to get utilities connected.
If your only using the utilities for a couple of days and want to switch the utilities over to the tenant,you have to get utilities disconnected and then tenant arranges to get the utilities connected.
I wouldn't leave the utilities on and leave it up to the tenant as you may have a headache on your hands,where tenant is still using the utilities in your name.

I cant speak for SA and how they bill/charge but in Victoria:

Water is already on and bills will usually default to the name recorded. At settlement I expect your conveyancer will change into your name. When a tenant moves in (that's if they pay for water usage) then they (or agent) contact water company and transfer into their name. The owner continues to pay service charges. I know in some other states the owner/LL pays for both service and usage. I always make a point of checking the water bill to ensure that I am not paying for usage charges.

With electricity, if you want this to be on then you need to contact the electricity company to switch this on, but there is usually a connection fee added to your first bill and typically a 1-2 day wait. That is unless the former tenants/owners have left it on but most will have this disconnected as soon as they move out.

With gas, I don't believe it actually gets shut off but I'm really not sure (best to check). I assume this is for your stove. There could also be charges involved to get the bill into your name. Again, best to check with the gas company.

I should also add that if you do not intend to move in for those days between settlement and the tenants moving in then I would do nothing and leave it with the tenants to sign up/connect all the utilities. This would be the easiest approach.

Back