Electricity Bill Slashed Thanks to Solar - "Awesome"

Has anyone out there who owns a business or commercial site put solar onto their premises?

One of our sheds has a 4 acre roof.

I'll do you a deal Charlie, you pay for all of the upfront capital, insurance and installation costs, along with all of the ongoing maintenance costs, and you can have 80% of the moolah generated. ;)

One of our sheds has a 4 acre roof.

I'll do you a deal Charlie, you pay for all of the upfront capital, insurance and installation costs, along with all of the ongoing maintenance costs, and you can have 80% of the moolah generated. ;)

Dazz that is a very generous offer but how about I negotiate and say 99% of moolah generated. Therefore you still lose nothing.

What state is the shed in? Can you send me the details of your electricity bill? I will need this information to do my figures. If it is feasible for me then we would have to set up a legal document protecting both our interests.

Cheers Dazz and as I have said before Happy New Year to you. We may even become mates. Now that would be interesting. Can I call you Dazza?

Now that the govt grant for solar panels has ended (or reduced significantly- which one is it??) is it still worth doing this for a PPOR?

Where can I look up some prices etc- I am in Melb, VIC and really scared of my power bills...and the constant increases happening!

:)

Now that the govt grant for solar panels has ended (or reduced significantly- which one is it??) is it still worth doing this for a PPOR?

Where can I look up some prices etc- I am in Melb, VIC and really scared of my power bills...and the constant increases happening!

You'd be really scared of opening our power bill at one of our properties.
We have put it on the monthly budget plan, but it is still $1045.00 a month

The federal govt rebate (RECS or now called STC's) has not finished as far as I am aware. This rebate however fluctuates according to how much RECS or STC's are worth on the market. They usually fluctuate around the $30 mark. At the end of this financial year they are cutting the multiplyer for STC's from 5 to 4 I think so you wont get as much of a rebate. This should not affect the rebate in a significant way however it will definately reduce it.

Don't know of any companies in Vic except AGL and Origin do them. I went through a family owned company that have been around since 1982, much better service I reckon.

Make sure you buy the mono-crystalline panels. They are tried and tested. These are the panels withn the pattern on them. People will probably get up me for saying this but I have research of actual output from thin film and mono-crystalline panels and the monos are ahead per watt for price paid. Thin film panels need a lot more area aswell as they are lower wattage panels so need more of them. I have been told thin films also have heavy metals in them such as cadmium.

Do your own research though. For PPOR you cannot claim the GST or interest if borrow the money or depreciation.

Good luck with it Melbournee

Re comm property - my brother owns a large factory (and uses - not leased out) and would liked to have used solar since they use a heck of a lot of power. Snap freezing involved.

But the numbers just didn't stack up. He really tried.

He just ended up with solar hot water to the staff room and that's it.

Re comm property - my brother owns a large factory (and uses - not leased out) and would liked to have used solar since they use a heck of a lot of power. Snap freezing involved.

But the numbers just didn't stack up. He really tried.

He just ended up with solar hot water to the staff room and that's it.

Amadio,

What State is he in? I might be able to help him further if he was still interested as sounds like he was keen.

I saw somewhere on youtube that in the USA somewhere a factory that was using solar during the day to keep their goods frozen. It was actually a drive through massive shed (distribution centre) with 4000 solar panels on the roof and was keeping the temp inside at minus 15 or 18 deg c.

Section 44.2 specifically states ;

"In this section premises includes chattels provided with the premises (whether under the agreement or not) for use by the tenant."

It is against the Act for a Landlord to contract out that statement. Whatever comes with the premises the Tenant gets as part of paying their rent.

I don't think it is arguable.

Everything is arguable Dazz.

Don't include the roof as part of the premises.
Don't give the Tenant an exclusive use of the premises (or at least the roof)
Sublet the premises.
Have the solar system owned by a third party (not the landlord)

Always more then one way to skin a cat.

Great to have you back again Dazz.

Everything is arguable Dazz.

Don't include the roof as part of the premises.
Don't give the Tenant an exclusive use of the premises (or at least the roof)
Sublet the premises.
Have the solar system owned by a third party (not the landlord)

Always more then one way to skin a cat.

Great to have you back again Dazz.

Did you read that Dazz, everything is arguable. Dazz you haven't got back to me on the negotiations on your 4 acre commercial shed roof. Would love to do you a deal. Don't go quiet on me Dazz.

BV, thanks for that info.

Is there another credit on the invoice saying something like Avoided TUOS? Country Energy give us a credit of 0.975 of a cent for avoided TUOS. Apparently this is a fee they pay when they buy electricity from the power stations and because they didn't have to buy any of the electricity we produced from the power stations they have given it back to us as a credit.

Cheers
I've received the first invoice and there is no such credit.

My electricity bill went from $500 to $135 but $51 of the $135 is GST
I wonder if this should be the case.
The GST as I understand it should be applied to the billing amount and not to the consumed electricity.
Or have I got it wrong?
Is this right?

I've received the first invoice and there is no such credit.

My electricity bill went from $500 to $135 but $51 of the $135 is GST
I wonder if this should be the case.
The GST as I understand it should be applied to the billing amount and not to the consumed electricity.
Or have I got it wrong?
Is this right?

Interesting there is no credit for avoided TUOS.

Just checked our bill and the GST is on what we have consumed. There is no GST on the electricity made.

Well done BV for reducing your bill anyway. Have you worked out a quarterly return as an annualised percentage. Would be interesting to know.

Well done BV for reducing your bill anyway. Have you worked out a quarterly return as an annualised percentage. Would be interesting to know.
It's approx $400 per quarter so the system cost should be recovered in approx 6 quarters.
Its a 1.5Kw system and we also had a good period of rain so I'm very happy with the performance.

It's approx $400 per quarter so the system cost should be recovered in approx 6 quarters.
Its a 1.5Kw system and we also had a good period of rain so I'm very happy with the performance.

2, 5, 10, 20, 30 years down the track you will be laughing. Good on you BV.

Swapped my dad onto AGL as his electricity provider this morning from Country Energy.

With Country Energy he was getting the 60 cents plus basically 1 cent as an Avoided TUOS fee. So therefore 61 cents for what he is feeding in.

With AGL he will get 68 cents for what he feeds in. He also gets a 7% discount on the consumption charge that he is using. The service availability charge remains the same.

All charges were exactly the same between AGL and Country Energy.

The only way I can see him losing out are if there is a major blackout they will fix him up last as he is not with Country Energy anymore and they are still responsible for the infrastructure.

Anyone else with AGL? How are you finding them?

i don't know where you're getting your figures dazz.

on the system i am having installed - cost after government rebate $10,000.

annual electricity bill currently $2,000.

return at current governement feedin tariffs, minimum $2,500/yr.

system pays for itself in 4 years and thereafter i get free electricity. i'd call that a 25% return. although the nsw state government had very nice rebates/tariffs before cutting them a few months back - fortunately we got in in time.

if the tariff system is cut for some reason, of the underlying costs go thru the roof, then i'll get a solar hot water as well (currently on electric as no gas) ... which will cut the underlying bill by 1/3rd.

considering the price of electricity has increased by 60% over the last couple of years, and expected to increase further as out stupid state government has sold off a good slab of our electricity system to some singapore company, i will be very happy not to have to pay anything.

Lizzie, in a previous post I said the 25% return might have been a bit optimistic but after reading a few posts in here I don't think you will be far off it.

How did your install go? Hope everything went well. Is it pumping a good amount of power in?

Cheers and all the best.

Posted here for relevance also

Why can't you just power your own house, forget about feeding back into the grid and getting rebates that will reduce over time

i.e. I recently read that in WA it's currently 40c/kWh and will be 20c/kWh in a few short weeks

Hi,

I have spent a bit of time reading all through this post and am mightly confused about the real benefits of solar.... I get the green fuzzy feeling, and feeding into grid, and discounted electricity. 1) I wouldnt trust electicity company - how do you know that you are getting what you give?

Is it about the 'save our environment' or $$$. ?? I think solar, at this stage, is for those with alot of spare cash... to get a real impact from solar it needs to be affordable to all. Until it is - I am not convinced on solar.. sorry..

For for the average punter (that's me!), renting with an investment property, job, food, bills, it is pretty hard to get ahead to fork out the cost of solar, and with all the Government confusion/unstability over solar - I dont see the financial benefits of borrowing money to purchase solar.

Anyway that is my take on it! I am just getting up to speed with gas in the house!!!

JDog

Back