Electricity Bills sky-rocketing !!

I bet there is another thread going on...But our electricity and gas usage is slightly higher this quarter than it was last year and electricity bill has sky rocketed

We are with Energy Australia at the moment and I just spoke with someone at Energy Watch who suggest AGL would give a 16% discount on Electricity and 12% discount on Gas. They also claim the electricity rates are regulated.

Apparently in 3 years electricity bills have gone up by 50% in 3 years in NSW...

Anybody experience the same?

What have you done?

Long live Carbon Tax :mad:

yep bills have gone up. The price in NSW is regulated but companies will give you a discount on that regulated price.
If you are happy to sign up to a 2 year contract then all companies will give you at least 10% off. just ring and ask.

I have solar,and big brother is high up the food chain at Alinta so any bills he sorts out for me,so my suggestion is buy a solar package,or get a brother who works for a electricity company.Easy!!!

i had less power usage and a higher bill!
i was going back through mine and the have increased every qtr and in some the usage is less that the previous qtr

My business power bill doubled in a month.

I had everything checked- and found a broken valve in the hot water service. Hot water was continually flowing through the tank.

It's 4 of us at home and the bill was $1625 during winter and the latest bill is $1200+!!! :x

Time to do an check of what you are using and have running. That's excessive in my opinion even with a electric hot water.

I live alone but, 1 fridge, 1 chest freezer, PC 24/7, 1.8kW solar and my highest winter bill was $80. Gas HWS but I did cook a lot of roasts etc in electric oven.

Pool by any chance with pump constant running?

Yeh I will do a check...the only addition to me appears to be one portable aircon. The usage wasn't heaps higher than last year. Gas is fine ...it's the electricity...is there some way I can check the meter and the usage? I might compare it with te bills earlier in the year

If they built the current houses like they did in old days, they would be more efficient.
All the old homesteads, are naturally very cool inside.

Of course you will get to the point, where electric companies will increase their rates, because people aren't using enough, and their profits are down.

Wait til I see what a 130,000L pool pump makes the next bill!:eek:

pinkboy

Our pool is 40K litres and when we were looking at going solar, I actually looked at my power bill for the first time and was surprised a just how little the pool costs. Your pump will be larger, but our pool running cost is a tiny portion of our total bill.

If they built the current houses like they did in old days, they would be more efficient.
All the old homesteads, are naturally very cool inside.

That's not my experience.

I've lived in some old wooden farm homesteads and they were terrible. Freezing in winter and hot in summer. I reckon todays modern insulated houses, whether brick or wood or weatherboard are all 10 times better than the old ones.

See ya's.

That's not my experience.

I've lived in some old wooden farm homesteads and they were terrible. Freezing in winter and hot in summer. I reckon todays modern insulated houses, whether brick or wood or weatherboard are all 10 times better than the old ones.

See ya's.

I'm referring to the ones built long ago. Ones like Lanyon Homestead, close to Canberra.
Their walls are massive, awnings / verandahs over windows.

I'm referring to the ones built long ago. Ones like Lanyon Homestead, close to Canberra.
Their walls are massive, awnings / verandahs over windows.

I googled that, and I guess that is the "Rolls Royce" of houses, and not something the masses would have been able to afford. I'm guessing the workers on that homestead probably lived in slab huts.

Lovely place, but not a house any old Tom, Dick or Harry could afford to build or run, even a hundred years ago.

Back