Electricity Bills sky-rocketing !!

I believe our hair dryer and hair straightener use up most then...Two of us use both and the use is at least 15 minutes every week day between us...

Will be more vigilant with the exhaust fans as well.

Our water and cooking is on gas.

I'd have to find out how we can access the power meter in a strata complex...

Whats an Energy Auditor? Anything as such exits? :confused:

You're in NSW?

This is a good place to start. Every state has a similar resource.

Energy auditors are in the Yellow Pages. If you're eligible (pensioner, low income / health care card etc) you can get a free energy audit here. I believe Field Force won the contract to do this govt work so if you want the same sort of thing done no doubt you could ring them and ask for a quote.

MsAli,

Just ask for your subsidisation money back.........:eek:

Pick any place with those blue eyesores on the roof.......march up to the front door with yonnie or boondie firmly in hand and ask for your money back. Launch aforesaid projectiles if refused.

Simple as that......:) Civil disobedience 101.

Now seriously, that is one heck of a bill you have.

Probably you need to learn what consitutes a KWh and what in your house is chewing through them. Here's a couple of quick tips.....

1) Combinations of resistive elements and electric motors (Tumble dryers, aircon, fridges, hair dryer etc etc) are generally at the highest consumption level.

2) Resistive elements are next (typically, iron, toaster, kettle, curling wands, straighteners etc etc)

3) Electric motors (especially without PF correction) next

4) LV lighting systems. Whilst LV may sound cheap, it really isnt. A Watt is a Watt at any voltage. Therefore a 50W Halogen LV light is consuming exactly that at 240V plus incremental tranny losses (typically 14-16W or 3-5W for electronic stepdown - higher if its running hot due to being covered in insulation)

Example:

1 LV light consuming 65W for 1 hour is .065KWh at 24c / KWh = 1.56c
4 LV light consuming 260W for 1 hour is .260KWh at 24c / KWh = 6.24c
4 LV light consuming 260W for 4 hours 1.04KWh at 24c / KWh = 24.96c

And that's just typically.........one room.

Same applies with the hair destroyers..........

Typically 2.4KW, operated for an hour at 24c / KWh will cost you 57.6c for each hour of operation............

Exhaust fan is about the same as a 40W light.....

Check the KW ratings on your appliances multiply by hours of use and you generally get a rough idea.........

Also check your tarrifs. You may be on time of use metering and not know it. Peak rates are typically double, off peak approx half and shoulder rates a couple of cents under the normal KWh rate.......

Have fun

Ciao

Nor

...I reckon it's due to the computers left on stand by on the weekend...

How many computers do you have? I leave computers, tv, ipod docks, toaster/kettle etc on standby all the time and my bill would be 1/3rd of yours.

Barely used the aircon this winter, although the locals were complaining about how cold winter was this year ... must've been renting a draft free house ... just double sock the feet, another long sleeve t-shirt on underneath and at night throw another blanket on the couch.

This summer has been really good so far in our "inbetween" purchase (despite nearly 40 degree days) due to being on a ridge and getting a breeze, combined with 12 foot ceilings.

But that is because I hate aircon - looking forward to the combustion fire again in the new house!

I think the long term solution is for you girls to go on some sort of tariff, which will mean 2am wake ups to do your hair and make-up :p

pinkboy.....early starts anyone?

I think the long term solution is for you girls to go on some sort of tariff, which will mean 2am wake ups to do your hair and make-up :p

pinkboy.....early starts anyone?
That could work well in our place. I already get up early for shaving.

The shaving cream says "shake well before use" so I get up at 5, shake it, and go back to bed for a couple of hours.

A mate of mine from my advertising days works on the account for one of the energy retailers. He was telling me recently how much the retailers all love the carbon tax. Electricity prices had been going up steadily for about 5 years, but people didn't make much noise about it. (He used the analogy of the frog in water slowly being boiled.) All the hullabaloo made by the shock jocks and pollies when the carbon tax came in meant that it copped all the blame, despite it being a small part of the picture.
When Tony Abbott started his crusade, my mate and his client had a celebratory lunch.

Also check your tarrifs. You may be on time of use metering and not know it. Peak rates are typically double, off peak approx half and shoulder rates a couple of cents under the normal KWh rate.......
We are on time use and our rates are about

9c low
22c middle

44c high

or thereabouts (can't be bother going to get most recent bill)

Bottom line is try and avoid the peak period which is 1pm to 8 pm:mad: Covers the highest use in our house.

Cheers

How many computers do you have? I leave computers, tv, ipod docks, toaster/kettle etc on standby all the time and my bill would be 1/3rd of yours.

Three desktops, 2 laptops...But then two of our computers are only switched on after 7pm till 10pm and on weekends (all days). One is on most days. Laptops - one most days. One when required.

We only have one split aircon.

Actually don't think it's hair dryer either causing this as we've used hair dryers for a long time and it's the first spring with a crazy bill. We use it between 7am and 7:30am only.

I've been trying to get others to understand it's IMPORTANT to switch off the lights when not in a room...

:(

I've been trying to get others to understand it's IMPORTANT to switch off the lights when not in a room...

:(

You can buy timers.
We have them in our laundry areas in our apt buildings. Tenants turn them on, and they shut off automatically..up to an hour later.
There are several ones to pick from.

You could get a motion detector light then?
We have one in our home, in the hallway.
We can set it between 30 seconds, or shut off in 30 minutes, if there isnt any movement.

Thanks Kathryn! I will look into it! Might turn out to be a good investment!

Thanks Kathryn! I will look into it! Might turn out to be a good investment!

Ours is an "outside light", because our hallway is between our apt and our son across the hall.
I have no idea whether they have prettier ones for homes.

I'm sure there is something....the internet is a huge place to look for stuff.

yeah electricity bills are up for sure. ive recently re-let my fully furnished apartment but took out the bills included offer, previous tenants ran the a/c, tv, computers, other crap non stop, was costing me a fortune

yeah electricity bills are up for sure. ive recently re-let my fully furnished apartment but took out the bills included offer, previous tenants ran the a/c, tv, computers, other crap non stop, was costing me a fortune

I didn't know my kids were your tenants :D.

Just got our shed electricity bill (via the owner). The owner sends us a copy of their tax invoice to view, plus our tax invoice after the split is done to the 4 occupants in our complex.

Now I know my basic consumption is fairy consistant and low due to my business mostly running off diesel compressors ad hoc, and we really only run our main dust collector and extractor, a couple of computers and lights. So Im fairly right with my bill every month.

We have a seafood shop next door to us in the complex. Now I reckon he is going to start hurting as Ive seen the main bill go from a fairly consistant ~$4k over the past 12 months (and about $3k the previous 12mths) to ~$8k August, ~$9k September, ~$10k October. The other workshops either side of my office tenancy within the complex would probably use less than us, which I believe would collectively be only 10% of the bill! His freezers run 24/7, he charges all his truck freezers, shopfront, office, tearoom etc.

Will be interesting to see how he travels with the costs going up. Even our Regional Council is captured as one of the 500 Carbon Tax victims, so everything is starting to bite as in rates, council fees, DA application and renewals etc which all businesses have to endure.

pinkboy

Back