Engineer quote. is this right?

Hi People

I've been quoted $450 + GST for an engineer to check the plans for a 6 posted 6x5m car port. That seems pretty excessive, all he really needs to do is check footings and beam specs to hang a panel lift roller door. This is for the purposes of obtaining a Construction Certificate which ive been told i have 14 days to get...

This guy is in Sydney and is working through my draftsman. I just want to make sure I'm not getting shafted on price.

Can anyone assist? Thanks
Kris

craig, any recommendations? Any one in Sydney that can assist with this? I assume the engineer basically certifys it as 'ok' for the Construction Cert , right?

yes that is the case , but the project is small and if your certifier see,s or you can prove it is a text book construction, ie span sheets from building codes, the certifier may accept it as being ok, did you undertsand that???

yep. Ive asked the draftsman why the high cost for something so simple... It shouldnt cost $2k in fees to build a $5k carport.

all he really needs to do is check footings and beam specs to hang a panel lift roller door.

Kris

From a business point of view $450 seems normal.
His hourly rate would be at least $150/hour

If he comes to your house, that would be 2 hours including travel plus lets says he spends half an hour going over drawings and doing calcs and half an hour on the phone etc and it comes to 3 hours in total.

$150 per hour is not much these days and often what you are paying for is the risk factor in signing and giving you the ok.

Cheers

Thanks! He is just being sent the plans, which he has already. Just want to make sure that seems about right..

Back