Establishing a ppor

Hi everyone,

This is my first post however I've spent many months absorbing the wealth of info that somersoft offers. There's so much to digest! Now that I'm getting into the property market I might be able to give back and contribute to discussions in the future.

Anyway, my wife and I have signed a contract on a house in Annerley, Brisbane and we settle in a couple of weeks. It's a circa 1920's qlder on a 780sqm corner block that's liveable but it looking a bit tired. Our initial plan for is to hold onto it for a while and down the track do some renovations (my dad's a builder).

As my wife is working in Caboolture this year and hates commuting (it's a 1hr drive each way to Annerley), we thought we'd initially rent it out for the first year and then move into it the following year when she will be working close to the city. This plan seemed good until the thought of capital gains tax raised it's ugly head and got us thinking what our other options are.

I guess I'm wanting to find out some of the rules to establishing a ppor. Is it possible to buy the property at the end of January, leave it vacant/start doing some work to it and move into into November or December. Would we be able to establish it as a ppor or would the time frame be too long between purchasing and moving in? Obviously if this was possible, we'd have to crunch some numbers and see whether it's feasible.

We bought it for $605k and as it is now, we'd only expect to get $400/week rent. As such, we didn't buy it as an investment property. But with a longer term view. I'd like to think we'll stay in it for a long time, however as were starting a family, we'll eventually have to extend or move to something bigger and if we can avoid getting lumped with a big tax, that'd be great!

I know we need to see our accountant for professional advice, but I thought I'd seek advice from the knowledgeable people here before hand. I hope these ramblings make sense!

Cheers,

lenny

lenny, congrats on buying a PPOR.

As I understand it you are concerned about the GCT implications down the track when you sell, if you do not move in straight away bit rather rent it out for a while.

Rather than leave it vacant, which is no good for insurance purposes after 60 days (typically), perhaps you could look into taking advantage of the 6 year rule? Move into your PPOR on settlement, stay a while (commute), then move out and rent it out. You can rent it for up to 6 years without incurring CGT if you do not have another PPOR at the same time.

Hi Propertunity, thanks for the reply.

I hadn't considered the insurance requirements.

It doesn't seem like there are any hard and fast rules for establishing a ppor eg. have to live there for 6 or 12 months. I imagine you have to prove your living there eg, show bills, change electoral rolls etc.

To be honest though, I think if we did move in, we probably wouldn't want to move away just to move back 6 months later.

If we were to move within 2 months of settlement, would this be considered a reasonable timeframe.

It sounds like the best financial option though is to move straight away. Might have to let my wife make this decision as she'll be the one having to commute...hmmm i wish we'd considers cgt a bit sooner!

lenny, if it's only a year, I can't see Annerley having a huge growth spurt this year that you have to worry about, anyway. I'd just do what you intended to do (ie rent it out until you move in), get a valuation when you move back in, and carry on with your lives. The CGT won't be payable until such time as you sell, and I doubt it'll be very much, anyway. And if you hold for a long time, inflation will significantly reduce the value of those dollars paid in CGT, anyway.

I know we need to see our accountant for professional advice, but I thought I'd seek advice from the knowledgeable people here before hand. I hope these ramblings make sense!

Cheers,

lenny

Are you a first home buyer? (hence the questions?)

The Y-man

Perp, I can't see our property having much capital growth in the next couple of years. We were looking ahead at that 10year or so mark when we decide to either sell or extend. As you said, perhaps it's not worth worrying that far down the track, particularly since no one knows what will happen in 10 years.

If we rented it out initially, why would be get a valuation done when we move in?

Y-man, yes we're first home buyers.

cheers,

lenny

Perp, I can't see our property having much capital growth in the next couple of years. We were looking ahead at that 10year or so mark when we decide to either sell or extend. As you said, perhaps it's not worth worrying that far down the track, particularly since no one knows what will happen in 10 years.

If we rented it out initially, why would be get a valuation done when we move in?

Y-man, yes we're first home buyers.

cheers,

lenny
lenny, you only pay CGT for the time that you're not living there, and the growth when you're using it as your PPOr is CGT-exempt.

So if it's worth $400K today, and still valued at $400K in a year when you move in, then you won't pay any CGT. If it's gone up to $420K, then you pay CGT on the $20K, with 50% discount if you own it more than 12 months, ie 30% marginal rate on $10K (50% gain), or $3K. So you may have to pay $3K in 10 years time when you ultimately sell - not a big deal. :)

lenny, you only pay CGT for the time that you're not living there, and the growth when you're using it as your PPOr is CGT-exempt.

So if it's worth $400K today, and still valued at $400K in a year when you move in, then you won't pay any CGT. If it's gone up to $420K, then you pay CGT on the $20K, with 50% discount if you own it more than 12 months, ie 30% marginal rate on $10K (50% gain), or $3K. So you may have to pay $3K in 10 years time when you ultimately sell - not a big deal. :)

If it an IP from the start (even just for a few months - but let's assume a yr in the example below) & then you move in there is no point getting a valuation - this is only available if it is PPOR first then becomes IP.
If it cost $400k today and in 10 years it is worth $1m, then the capital gain would be 1/10th of $600k (you should also be eligible for the 50% discount).

Thanks for the replies so far.

One important thing that I didn't mention that's definitely relevant is that it's likely we'll have to rent the house out for more than one year. Perhaps 2 or 3 year over the next five or 6 years. This is due to the nature of my wifes line of work, initially needing her to move around a bit.

I understand this will affect the ip/ppor ratio, thus potentially make it more costly for us down the track.

I didn't realise about the 50% cgt discount, that's good to know.

Cheers,

Lenny

You will also pay higher stamp duty if it is not for a PPOR.
To qualify for PPOR stamp duty you must reside there for at least 12 months.
Marg

My son bought his first home and as it was under $509K (not exactly but around that threshold) he avoided stamp (transfer) duty. He must live there fir 12 months. I don't think there is a limit on price for FHOG.

My son bought his first home and as it was under $500K (not exactly but around that threshold) he avoided stamp (transfer) duty. He must live there for 12 months. I don't think there is a limit on price for FHOG.

If you move in and your wife travels for the first twelve months, then you can rent it out but keep it as your PPOR and you have six years to move back in so you will not pay any cap gains tax on sale.

Back