ETax 2014

Agreed OK

We have a few clients who we do the unit trust and discretionary trust financials and tax returns and advice regarding them and they do their own individual returns on etax. they use our checklists and sometimes ask a few questions and not an issue.

Just because you want someone to clean your garage doesn't mean they also have to clean every room in the house. Maybe that part you are able to handle on your own.

Yep me too - I probably make a rod for my own back...I dont charge extra for 2 x Indiv ITRs if I'm doing a SMSF / Disc / UT etc....It gives peace of mind doing it all. Others choose etax and have the pleasure of doing it themselves. Its kinda like DIY surgery.

I attempted the so called backdoor approach to etax. It doesnt work.

That My Gov thing is truly appalling...A username that is a just letters and numbers. ONE single unique email address per person. EVERY aspect of it revolves around Medicare and asks the same thing over and over and over. (How the F would I know what bank account Medicare pay into ??)
Try doing your three kids tax to claim a $20 tax credit !! Each needs a mygov account but also a unique email etc...AND every mygov user must have a individual unique mobile phone number and email. No exceptions !! Its like instisting a unique street address is required.
- Not all taxpayers have a mobile
- Some taxpayers dont have a email
- Some retired couples may share mobile / email....
- Kids
- Very remote locations (eg Antarctica)..No mobile no use.

The idea that you can DIY simple tax returns is affected by this invasive and complex process. They have failed in that aspect.

The new version of e-tax is better and is certainly faster.

I attempted the so called backdoor approach to etax. It doesnt work. ..

It works fine. I've used it twice already. You must have done something incorrectly. When e-tax prompts for the myGov username simply type taxhelp as the username and click either pre-fill or lodge (depending on which screen is asking for the myGov username). e-tax then takes you to the standard verification by prior NOA and generates the same old style of hex password of years gone by. If you check the whirlpool link I gave earlier you'll find plenty of others reporting that it works fine, and, so far, not one claiming that it doesn't work.

Edit: picture attached for those who want proof.

Attachments

• e-tax.jpg
    e-tax.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 172
Bruce ...appreciate the tip....That mygov is SO INTRUSIVE.....I dont know if anyone else fiddled and added ehealth / Medicare but it wanted to know my last date I visited a doctor, their name and my bank details used for medicare AND for last years tax refund and so much more. Now big brother has my mobile number and personal email and you cant use an alias as they send validation info that it and it tests that the email is a working account too (I tried a fake email)....

I wonder how long that alternative will remain alive ?? Its obviously not available if the simple "mytax" option is used. So the simple verification is not available for simple returns...Only a public servant could require such a approach.

I downloaded Etax and then setup a MyGov account, didn't realize you could avoid it. Didn't need to link it to Medicare, cant claim anything so no point for me. Etax looks fairly unchanged, didn't notice much of a difference.
Cheers, nat

Did anyone else have trouble with the D9 Gifts and Donations screen?

The screen just comes up blank for me, no options to fill any details in.

I initially had a problem creating a new account where no text boxes were available to enter into. The help line person said it was because I was using Windows 7. about a week later there was an update to install and I was then able to go through the screens until I got to the D9 screen which seems to now have the same problem.

I tried to call the help line again, went through all the options to get to the right department, and was then informed that I had called at a peak time and to call back later. No option to even stay on hold!!

This system is such a time waster!

Logout, retry ??

I had an issue with screen size and scrolling. Ensure Windows screen % is 100%. If its 125% etc the buttons can disappear and cant be scrolled to. I found that early.

Logout, retry ??

I had an issue with screen size and scrolling. Ensure Windows screen % is 100%. If its 125% etc the buttons can disappear and cant be scrolled to. I found that early.

Thanks Paul,

I tried that, also checked for new updates. None found. Screen is on 100%

I'm on hold for eTax Help now...

I hated trying to get anything done on the MyGov website, and then I heard it was to be used for eTax. I really hated when last years e-Tax forced me to input my wife's taxable income in it... either let me fill them in as one entity, or de-link. It's a massive PITA, and so fiddly because it's been poorly implemented.

I do my own e-Tax, and I used to do my wife's but then send it to an accountant because she was scared and didn't trust me to get it right (for the record, we'd end up at essentially identical results)

That My Gov thing is truly appalling...A username that is a just letters and numbers. ONE single unique email address per person. EVERY aspect of it revolves around Medicare and asks the same thing over and over and over. (How the F would I know what bank account Medicare pay into ??)
Try doing your three kids tax to claim a $20 tax credit !! Each needs a mygov account but also a unique email etc...AND every mygov user must have a individual unique mobile phone number and email. No exceptions !! Its like instisting a unique street address is required.

Agree when doing kids tax returns. I didn't want to do all this so I just used etax as normal but didn't lodge electronically. Instead I printed their returns, signed them and posted them off. Have already received their refunds but am waiting on mine which was lodged electrically at the same time!

I'm also expecting the look of horror on my face when my Notice of Assessment comes this year. It will include a tax receipt which shows where all my $$$ were spend. http://www.joehockey.com/media-files/media-releases/ContentPieces/92/download.pdf Here is a old draft....That light blue "welfare" line has me concerned.

Wonder what peoples thoughts are on the one pager that the ATO sends out stating where the government spends individuals taxes?

The 'light blue' welfare line that may concern some may be the intention - it sells the governments fiscal strategy quite well.

Its a bit of a marketing gimic by the gov thats been used in the past...without much success.

Hi Paul

I thought i didn't dream that up. I think its only a matter of time before Aus goes down that route. I think the gov will slowly stop various deductions and start to simplify things. Medical expenses tax offset is being phased out so whats next.
I think the "average" employee with basic tax needs wont know and wont care. But i could be wrong.
Cheers, nat

Yep - complexity of the tax system will definitely be a feature of the next review. Gov'ts over time are pretty concerned with very low proportion of ppl doing their own returns.

Complexity creates innefficiecy - an industry is built on it! Pretty big cost to pay for Australians because of complexity.

Does need to be balanced with simplicity concerns. As Paul mentioned, simplicity does mean things get missed and you cant capture everything as best as possible.

They've kind of started this process - it was part of the aim of axing the low income tax offset a few years ago.

They've kind of started this process - it was part of the aim of axing the low income tax offset a few years ago.

They started seriously in 1996 and is a work in progress with a few stalls.

It takes longer than terms of government so unlikely to ever be effectively done.

- Removing simple tax returns
- Collecting ALL super through one integrated clearing system
- Removing stamp duty on all except property transfers
- Taxing trusts as companies

All dreams.....

I like the NZ system. All PAYG withholding is reported monthly and employer enters each employee data. Workers comp integrates - No withholding = no workers comp. This system could cut contractor "fraud", unpaid super tracing etc. End of year the IRD already has all PAYG data....Bingo easy simple tax returns.

This is my understanding so far.
The new system needs the following info for each tax payer
- Medicare
- mobile number
- email
- last date of doctor's visit
- Doctor's name
- my bank details used for medicare
- last years tax refund

Is this true?

This is my understanding so far.
The new system needs the following info for each tax payer
- Medicare
- mobile number
- email
- last date of doctor's visit
- Doctor's name
- my bank details used for medicare
- last years tax refund

Is this true?

I'm really glad I didn't sign up for the MyGov nonsense and simply used the old method of authenticating via a prior year's notice of assessment for the returns I've done so far.

Back