ETax 2014

Bloody hell this year has been frustrating. First the mygov crud.

Now I have finally got to the lodgement page and its giving me a V9999 error for rental page.
Their fix! delete it and start again.

This is my understanding so far.
The new system needs the following info for each tax payer
- Medicare
- mobile number
- email
- last date of doctor's visit
- Doctor's name
- my bank details used for medicare
- last years tax refund

Is this true?

You didn't need to do the Medicare part. Nothing to do with tax. The only bits you needed to do was the ATO part. Last years bank acct and details on NOA are sufficient.

Just started doing the e-tax. I had to register for myGov but I don't really have any issues.
Just last year NOA and my bank details were enough connect to the ATO.

I found this year etax has been a massive pain. I rolled over my rental properties and i keep getting 'Data exists that must be reviewed for lodgement' in rental properties. I checked every field, no good, only way to get rid of it is to remove every rental property completely. All my depreciation schedules wasted.

Emailed ATO they didnt reply, a month later emailed again, they said call them, called they said they will call back to be in 3 days....its been another 2 weeks...Useless!!

I think ill have to move depreciation to an accounting program and reenter everything, countless hours wasted as these guys are useless.

Can i send them a bill for wasted time?

Smallbuyer

Hi, that is frustrating. I had the same message over and over. But the cure to my pain was simple. I went to every field including the pre-field depreciation (into the calcultaion sheet), and found one box that I haven't ticked or filled. Problem solved. May be it will work with yours?
Best wishes

I must have got one of the better helpdesk people. Was acknowledged there was a logged issue with importing some depreciation schedules for rentals. I tabbed through ever single field to check.

No fix however. Delete and start again as originally posted. Still cheesed took ages to reenter it all.

I won't be redoing the depreciation schedule in etax, better to keep as much as possible out of their stupid program in case it has the same issue next year

Last edited:
Can anyone advise on this?

I've paid my tax quarterly for the past year but now I'm not sure if I need to put it into ETAX.

Do I need to input it somewhere in etax or does the ATO calculate it afterwards?

Can anyone advise on this?

I've paid my tax quarterly for the past year but now I'm not sure if I need to put it into ETAX.

Do I need to input it somewhere in etax or does the ATO calculate it afterwards?

From the help pages

Tax estimate ? important information
The Tax estimate section of the e-tax interview is used to display the tax assessment estimates which e-tax has made. These estimates are based on the interview screens completed at the time you access the Tax estimate section. If you have not completed all the interview screens e-tax will still display estimates based on the information you have entered.
The e-tax calculation is an estimate only and is not intended to apply where:
■ the actual estimate is dependent on data held on your file with the ATO
■ you have requested the ATO to apply discretion, or
■ very complex calculations are involved.

The situations where the e-tax estimate may not be accurate include where you:
■ are completing an item that was subject to legislative change that, at the time of developing e-tax, had not become law (e-tax will advise you when this is the case and where you can find out more information)
■ lodged an instalment activity statement under the pay as you go (PAYG) system
■ are entitled to use your spouse?s unused seniors and pensioners tax offset
■ are a foreign resident and have claimed the seniors and pensioners tax offset
■ received a lump sum payment in arrears, including from a superannuation income stream
■ received income that was subject to averaging (income of primary producers and special professionals)
■ were a foreign resident and withholding tax was not deducted on your interest or dividends
■ received an employment termination payment, including a foreign employment termination payment
■ received income from a superannuation income stream and you turned 60 years old during the 2013-14 financial year
■ received an Australian superannuation lump sum payment
■ changed your residency status during the year
■ are claiming a housekeeper tax offset because of special circumstances
■ have requested the ATO to calculate the deductible amount of your undeducted purchase price of a foreign pension or annuity
■ received exempt foreign employment income
■ received credit for tax paid by trustee
■ already have a credit or debit balance with the ATO
■ have a debt with the Department of Human Services or other Australian government department
■ have an income tax refund due and a Family Assistance debt
■ have an income tax refund due and have consented to use all or part of your refund to repay your spouse's Family Assistance debt
■ are lodging the return late
■ have a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) debt and have not provided details of this debt, or you are eligible for the HECS-HELP benefit
■ have a Financial Supplement debt and have not provided details of this debt
■ are entitled to a Government super contribution
■ are a minor (child under 18 years old) entitled to the low-income tax offset (LITO) and have eligible taxable income and excepted income
■ are a foreign resident and received an Australian Government pension or allowance
■ have amounts where rounding rules apply.

To use e-tax a new identity validation is required from mygov.gov.au....Good luck all. Its a very intrusive change and some may not be that keen to have this single identifier that includes super, medicare, centrelink (Yes its the Australia Card online). It will pose a real problem for doing family tax returns too. Multiple registrations, each with unique identifiers etc. I'm interested in any feedback on this process.
I have 2 examples:

tax payer 1 (me): registration with myGov was simple but I registered ages ago and only lodged on 31st of October, so I forgot my password and apparently ALL the answers to my secret questions:rolleyes: So I had to re-register with a new email account. There is no way to recover a locked account :mad:

tax payer 2: had a lot of trouble linking myGov with ATO due to SMSF, self employed and no refund account. Gave up after 3 goes when I accidentally stumbled across a bank account that was used at some time for an odd reason. Eventually got myGov and ATO linked and no problems after that.

Some general e-Tax 2014 feedback.

1. the printing to .pdf / .xps this year was horrid. Files are huge but text quality is very blurry for me. For example, last year I printed my lodged tax return to .xps (for record keeping) and the text was very sharp at a file size of 400k. This year I printed my lodged return to .xps and the text is blurry at the file size of 17mb! :eek: I also tried printing to .pdf which was marginally better but still nowhere near as sharp as last year.

2. I rolled over my rental properties and in the left hand side list of rental property worksheets it said (rollover)(rollover) property address. So when I went to lodge I got an error about the name being too many characters. I just went back in a clicked on everything again. One (rollover) disappeared, so I could finally lodge.

3. My partner is a low income earner and self-employed, so I had fill out all the sole-earner, join-earner stuff for the superannuation co-contribution. I had to go through the worksheets three times and found it as confusing as anything. In the end, it didn't really add anything that wasn't already filled out in other parts of the tax return so I can't really say that I "get it".

Overall, I found e-Tax 2013 a lot easier to use than e-Tax 2014 and the print outs from 2013 (to .pdf and .xps) were a lot sharper.

Back