Evict a tenant after purchase

Hi,
I purchased a property on a 60 day settlement, The 1 year lease ends at about 100 days.

Im in Melbourne,
Any way I can get them out? I would like to move in ASAP.

I note that the pool has gone green, and in the lease contract it is a responsibility, otherwise it s well kept

Congrats! on your purchase!

Did you inspect it with a 'green pool'?

I am not sure about this one, but check the in going tenants inspection report, if it says ' green' then you will have to clean it yourself.

If it says 'clean' you will have the right to ask them to return it to its previous state (minus reasonable wear and tear).

There are some lovely Property managers on this site who might be able to help with the legal bits about lease breaking in Vic!

I hope this helps!

Why didn't you stipulate vacant possession on the offer?

I just didnt

I gave them a 24 hour unconditional offer and they accepted. I am about 17% under the reserve at auction 3 weeks ago. And the mkt value came in higher, so I am lucky in this respect. However bank is only taking the contract price :rolleyes:

Now back to the question, any ideas

Thanks

You could try bribing the tenants to leave. Otherwise you're probably stuck.

You're also probably stuck with a green pool.

You could try bribing the tenants to leave. Otherwise you're probably stuck.

You're also probably stuck with a green pool.

1) ok, but bribing in Australia is illegal,

2) Nope, the pool is apart of the condition of the lease. It was perfectly clean when they went in, with photos as proof

Last edited:
1) ok, but bribing in Australia is illegal,

2) Nope, the pool is apart of the condition of the lease. It was perfectly clean when they went in, with photos as proof

1) It isn't illegal and happens in business every day. Eg if you buy 2 items I'll give you a 3rd free. Ohnoes bust me for bribing. :cool: Try offering tenant an incentive to vacate on settlement.

2) That isnt your problem yet as they arent your tenants yet. You can send them a breach and go through the motions once you own it.

Last edited by a moderator:
By bribe, thatbum meant give them some incentive to vacate early.. Pay for their moving costs, or free rent for a while.

I've just gone through the same thing. I politely asked them to leave and the pm has helped them find a new place... No financial loss. Just ask them, and if they say no, negotiate from there.. It just comes down to $$ incentive.

By bribe, thatbum meant give them some incentive to vacate early.. Pay for their moving costs, or free rent for a while.

I've just gone through the same thing. I politely asked them to leave and the pm has helped them find a new place... No financial loss. Just ask them, and if they say no, negotiate from there.. It just comes down to $$ incentive.

Thanks
Pool will take some chlorine only, maybe 500 bucks to fix, Ive got quotes already, I even factored into my purchase price

PM would like some easy tenants

I personally wouldnt rent them the property i am currently living in due to the smell and condition of the property i bought

Issue a NTV for landlord moving in now and allow the tenants to leave from settlement date without penalty.

Offer an incentive for them to leave early.

Or... You'll just have to wait.

Tenants moving out 7 weeks earlier than contract. NO incentives needed
PM did a good job, lets say she looked after me, I will look after her.
She probably placed them into a more affordable hose than this one.

Thanks
Pool will take some chlorine only, maybe 500 bucks to fix, Ive got quotes already, I even factored into my purchase price

If you do it yourself, it will be heaps cheaper than that.

Step 1, take water sample to pool shop

Step 2, buy product

Step 3, follow instructions.

Done!

FWIW, it won't be just chlorine, although that will be a major part of it.

ask at the pool shop after the water analysis how much for a pool guy to visit n do the rescue, quite time consuming, unless you have time n want to DIY. Usually only takes a few vacs n extra backwashes n 20L drum of chlorine then balance what's left. Good luck
cheers
crest133

If they are still on a 12 month lease you cannot have them vacated during that time legally.

You need to wait until 60 days before the expiration of the lease and then give them notice that you (the landlord) will be moving in.

Like I said, there is no 'legal' way around this, I've seen some creative property managers though. It's a very fine line you are treading down here. Remember that in Australia the tenants have ALL the power.

If they are still on a 12 month lease you cannot have them vacated during that time legally.

You need to wait until 60 days before the expiration of the lease and then give them notice that you (the landlord) will be moving in.

Like I said, there is no 'legal' way around this, I've seen some creative property managers though. It's a very fine line you are treading down here. Remember that in Australia the tenants have ALL the power.

Uh I think they simply just made an arrangement with the tenant. Nothing wrong with that.

Give them one month free rent under the condition that they vacate on the date you want them to, or perhaps take them to Mac D and they can order what ever they want on you.

Back