Facebook - what a great resource

Biggles,

I'm usually more worried about the truth in their ability to pay rent - the rest doesn't worry me too much as long as the rent is on par with the market.

I've had people apply claiming they worked at a certain company - unfortunately (for the applicant), I knew people in that place, and knew they didin't work there...

If they have a workplace contact number, ignore it and confirm via the main switch on the number published on white pages - if the main switch don't know who they are....

The Y-man

It's discrimmination if you reject a tenant application solely based on age. One may have an argument that the person lied about there age thus it's justified to reject the tenant because of the lie, but I wouldn't be even raising the issue of age in a public forum (or tenant lied about it) as it creates evidence and appearance one is rejecting a tenant simply on age. It's not an area I would want to have to deal with

That's all my point is. The chances it would be taken up is remote, however is still a chance.

There is no application on the table to reject based on age and no one is talking about kicking out an existing tenant cause of their age

You are allowed to use the words "age" and "sex" win a sentence without being taken to court of discriminating against someone.

We already know it is illegal to discrimminate etc

Biggles, I agree with the other comments, I think you're confusing facebook with some sort of information database. How can you be sure this is even the same person??

You can't be sure of their true name (on fb), you shouldn't know their email address, or photos, and shouldn't able to identify them from their comments? How else can you be sure it's the same person? I think it's invading other people's privacy and a little creepy to be honest.

Biggles, I agree with the other comments, I think you're confusing facebook with some sort of information database. How can you be sure this is even the same person??

I haven't just picked someone at random with the same christian name. I am 100% certain this is the tenant, that bit isn't in question.

I think it's invading other people's privacy and a little creepy to be honest.

How? If people have their information on a public website for the public to view, then what privacy is there? If I had hacked their account it's a different story. Each to their own. Given the lengths that some people will go to in order to secure a rental property to hide a dodgy past or unfavorable information, and the way VCAT favors tenants and makes it difficult for landlords, I'm not happy to just sit back and let a 20 year old select who will go in my property. If there's information available for me to double check some things then I'm going to use it in addition to the property manager doing the usual checks. I call it due dilligence rather than invasion of privacy.

How? If people have their information on a public website for the public to view, then what privacy is there?
As mentioned before, fb isn't an information database, but a social networking site amongst friends. What other information are you trying to analyse them on other than the accuracy of their name/age? which they're not obliged to provide correctly..

Each to their own.
Agree, each to their own ;)

My concern now is, if a new tenant has signed a lease to move into a property in a few weeks time and has paid bond but I have not yet signed the leases (they have been sent to me to be signed), am I legally bound by them?

Biggles, if you've already signed an agency agreement with your PM that enables them to act on your behalf for the leasing of the property - then you don't have to and probably wouldn't be presented with the lease to sign. A go ahead from you over the phone is all the PM needs.

I don't think I've ever signed a tenants lease for a property.

we have just hired two new people and facebook profiles had a big impact on who got and more specifically who didn't get the jobs.

all employment agencies and most employers would check facebook.

i can't believe some of the stuff people leave in an "open" format on their facebook, especially the photos.

putting on there photo's of you throwing up on sat nite and bragging about skipping work monday while u r applying for another job is not the best way of getting new employment :D

if they are not smart enough to have private access do u really want them working for you ?

... I'm not happy to just sit back and let a 20 year old select who will go in my property.

Biggles, I think this is the root of your problem, why are you letting a teenager + a few months take care of your investments?

I've never had to worry about my tenants, my property manager who is middle aged woman, highly experienced and owner of the agency made sure I got good tenants and I never had to do silly things like check facebook pages my gosh! :rolleyes: But it's good you are talking about it and obviously been open.

Protecting your online reputation will become even more important in the future as search becomes more efficient.

To the OP, If a property manager lied to me they wouldn't get a chance to explain. Why should they?

Ok this may seem like a silly question but if you look up the person with surname X how did you find that person with surname Y?

How did you know what the "other" surname was?

It's happening- employers are checking Facebook profiles even more.

http://m.smh.com.au/technology/tech...ting-boasting-led-to-sack-20101101-17ahp.html

It used to be the case that an employer could not openly check a social media site to check on an employee- or at least to discriminate based on findings. Perhaps that still is the case.

I don't think that it would be possible now not to check Facebook or to Google a prospective employee. But generally that just confirms opinions already made.

Several years ago I googled my shop. The first hit was from a trusted employee. Her Myspace entry said "I hate my job and I hate my boss". That helped me shape me relationship with my employee. And it helped me by making sure my own information appeared at the top of a google search :)

How did you know what the "other" surname was?

Because there are two people on the lease and I looked up the other one. Found that person who discloses on Facebook who their partner is then took it from there. It is without a doubt the person because the person talks about my house and specific things that were happening in me accepting their application. There are other things too but I don't want to get into too many of the details. I do know without a doubt it is the same person though.

I can't believe the things people will openly put on a public website, such as photos and the amount of information they post on their wall. I think it is a good resource for landlords and employers and don't see any harm in using it. It's so difficult these days to sack an employee or get rid of a dodgy tenant so I think the best way to avoid problems is to do as much research as you can before taking them on.

The lying PM is an issue. You can also be certain that the PM probably won't be jacking up the rent at appropriate times like the good ones do.

Looking after your interests is likely to take 2nd place.

I'd be going elsewhere.

It's discrimmination if you reject a tenant application solely based on age. One may have an argument that the person lied about there age thus it's justified to reject the tenant because of the lie, but I wouldn't be even raising the issue of age in a public forum (or tenant lied about it) as it creates evidence and appearance one is rejecting a tenant simply on age. It's not an area I would want to have to deal with

That's all my point is. The chances it would be taken up is remote, however is still a chance.

People discriminate based on age everyday in almost every aspect of life, not just rentals. Its never spoken however, which is why people get away with it. Definately dont lead with that!!!

---

Well done on the FB investigation. I am going to assume that both the property manager and the tenant(s) are young. Even though i am of their generation, the majority of young people dont realise that tools such as FB are great for social interaction, but also great for people like you to do your due dilligents. Kudos to you i think. If people want to hide things they could but forget that FB is available to everyone!

I actually love your story. Sounds like the agent might have a problem here.

In the end i guess its up to you to read the situation. Was this tenant the only one presented to you? Were others presented to you but the agent made it obvious to you that THIS tenant is the one for your property ect ect.

There was a case in the US where 2 guys befriended friends from school on Facebook. Then when they posted that they were going to concerts etc they robbed the houses.

They got caught eventually because one couple installed a video camera in their house.

I agree people are making themselves vulnerable.

Time for a new property manager I think. Whilst all this is now sorted and I accept explanations given, I've since found out that they didn't do a NTD check before signing the new tenants up. I assumed (silly me) this was automatic and always done! Even though it was probably too late to change anything I still requested they do it for peace of mind and all came up ok, but that's not the point. When I queried why they weren't done, they said I have to specifically request it (I didn't last time - was a different PM though). They said it's $15 each tenant which is fair enough - worth the money, but now on reading the lease agreement it says the current tenants should be paying for it as they are breaking the lease. So not only did they not do the checks because I didn't request it because it costs me money, but I'm not even up for the cost, so why would I not want it done? :confused:

First tenants was a smooth easy transaction, they were good tenants and the PM was obviously a bit more reliable. This time round is a bit of a mess, but at least a learning experience.

Erm.. biggles.. I thought that's the point of engaging a PM.
As they have access to NTD and a private landlord doesn't?!!?
Does your contract with them state that NTD are an additional cost?

Back