Family that lives on $270 per month.

Who has time to do that, however I did wonder where she got that gadget she put her hamburger patties in to store in the freezer, I could do that if my husband asked me nicely, very nicely....if I had that gadget of course.
Fleur

Hahaha - I wondered that too and would like to get my hands on that gadget.

Shampoo! Luxury! We were so poor when I was growing up that mum used to wash our hair down at the creek by banging our heads against the rocks.

hmm now I know where you're coming from, Hoffy :p

cimbom: I finally watched the video and, as I expected, it's full of contradictions.
:rolleyes:

ok180: a sub standard vehicle
Tyres are important and you shouldn't have been allowed to drive without decent tyres. Standards are improving all the time. Still, if you're a country boy, there was probably no telling you ( no offence - it's a characteristic with both pros and cons).

If one of your kids died in a shi77y car because you were hell bent on teaching them a life lesson on saving by putting them in a sub standard vehicle how would you feel?
I think that almost all experts would say that most accidents are caused by operator error - not the car.

Having said that; we get folks coming in now and again who were pulled over by the cops and put off the road because of the tyres being bald. Often they are disgracefully dangerous. The scary thing is; if they weren't pulled over, they probably wouldn't have come in.

There is nothing wrong with a cheaper, older car for a P - Plater to drive - as long as it is in decent condition.

My ute for example, is a 1992 Mazda 4 cyl Bravo. It is in decent condition with decent tyres, and is probably worth about 2.5k. As a trade-in I would seriously doubt it would get more than $1k.

Not a fully-sick VT or late model Golf, but still goes from a to b.

Is it safe? Only as safe as I drive.

Who has time to do that, however I did wonder where she got that gadget she put her hamburger patties in to store in the freezer, I could do that if my husband asked me nicely, very nicely....if I had that gadget of course.
I find that my bare hands (washed, of course) work extremely well at forming patties - it's free and takes very little time.

I would have thought that someone wanting to save money would forego the cost of the pattie-maker and use their hands.

I forgot to mention we only had 3 walls - we had to get rid of the north facing wall to let some light and warmth in (we had no clothes and no heating), and the cockroaches down our way were as big as rats and ate more than me.

Gee, that sounds bad but guess who lived under the bit of cardboard that used to be the fourth wall of the shoe box :(

Last edited:
I am a believer in expecting kids to save and buy their own cars and special toys when younger but I used to make them save up half of the cost then we would put in the other half.

With my daughter, who was a saver, this did not save us any money at all :eek: but with my son we saved a fortune :)

LOL!

You win! :D

By the way; you are behind on your rent to us for that fourth wall.

I have the filter off a cigarette butt I found, perhaps you will accept as payment in kind to use as a a pillow, I find they stop the rocks sticking into the back of my head at night.:D

I used to think like that too. When I was ready to drive I had to save up and buy my own care. It was one of those boxy late 80's Nissan Pulsars. Like yours it was a bit of a lemon and when I bought it the tires were almost bald but I drove it regardless. Cost me about 3k back then.

Fast forward 6 months and I lost it into a tree late one night. Tires were shot and it was an old thing that was skittish on the road as it was because the suspension was also shot. If I was in a better car I wouldn't have almost killed myself but I couldn't afford a better car at the time. Not saying me flying off into the scenery was all the cars fault but I would have fared better in a more modern car with better safety features.

If one of your kids died in a shi77y car because you were hell bent on teaching them a life lesson on saving by putting them in a sub standard vehicle how would you feel?
Yes I see your point, and agree,

I've also been thinking about this since I was about 21 when someone told me exactly what you told me,

And to be honest I still don t know what to do,

You can get a high end latest BMW 7 series that could be steamrolled by a tank and youd be safe

Or you could buy a new camry for 30k which I'm sure is very safe,

Or what about those smaller cars for 16k? Hyundai, kia etc etc

How safe is a 2004 camry or 2000 corolla?
Where do you draw the line?

I have no idea and still have a few years before my kids get to driving age but I do want to teach them the lesson of life which has made me a financially grounded person

You can get brand new cars these days for 13k or so that are pretty good. The cheapy new cars back then were pretty crap though. Better than getting around in a bomby Camira or something lol.

My ute for example, is a 1992 Mazda 4 cyl Bravo. It is in decent condition with decent tyres, and is probably worth about 2.5k. As a trade-in I would seriously doubt it would get more than $1k.

Not a fully-sick VT or late model Golf, but still goes from a to b.

Is it safe? Only as safe as I drive.

I half agree with that......... my personal hack is a Diesel dual cab ute......... that my 17 year old learnt to drive in. Learnt some restraint and car control because like most of these 4wd things, the LSD, the 10 r tyres, and no weight over the rear axle, means you can steer it with the throttle on round abouts.

The real issue with most serious young peops crashes is that they are single car..................

No safety active or passive safety equipment can protect someone ploughing into a tree at 120kmh in a 60 zone like some young couple did in a 5 star rated WRX a mth back outside my office. Tragedy for those left behind.

Keep the racing for the track.

ta
rolf

Yes I see your point, and agree,

I've also been thinking about this since I was about 21 when someone told me exactly what you told me,

And to be honest I still don t know what to do,

You can get a high end latest BMW 7 series that could be steamrolled by a tank and youd be safe

Or you could buy a new camry for 30k which I'm sure is very safe,

Or what about those smaller cars for 16k? Hyundai, kia etc etc

How safe is a 2004 camry or 2000 corolla?
Where do you draw the line?

I have no idea and still have a few years before my kids get to driving age but I do want to teach them the lesson of life which has made me a financially grounded person
What do you mean by safe?

I get asked by customers all week long; "Is my car safe?"

No offence intended at all TMNT, but it's a silly question to me because;

a)no-one can tell if a car is going to break down before it occurs (unless you inspect it very very thoroughly and can see an internal fault which might cause a break down other than obvious things.

If we were to go to that enth degree, a service would cost $1000 and more every time due to inspection time....I'm quite happy to do that of course!! ;)

So, services are perform with the normnal checks, and then list any items which require extra time on another day, or are minor and can be addressed maybe next service, or are more expensive and so on.

If you mean; safe from accident - there is no car that is safe. If a truck slams into the back of you while you are waiting at the lights etc; you don't have much hope.

As soon as you get in it and start the engine - it is not safe.

To customers who ask me : "Is my car safe?", I would love to reply; "Only while it is parked in your locked garage".

Not good for return business I'd say.

I think the best defense for kids and cars is:
a)make sure their car is in decent condition with decent tyres, and
b) enroll them in both a defensive driver training course, and an advanced driver training course as soon as they get their L-Plates.

Personally, I think this (point b) should be part of obtaining a P-Plate licence.

On cars though; the safest cars are those with all the possible combinations of air bags and ABS, crumple zones, etc.

Last edited:
I half agree with that......... my personal hack is a Diesel dual cab ute......... that my 17 year old learnt to drive in. Learnt some restraint and car control because like most of these 4wd things, the LSD, the 10 r tyres, and no weight over the rear axle, means you can steer it with the throttle on round abouts.

The real issue with most serious young peops crashes is that they are single car..................

No safety active or passive safety equipment can protect someone ploughing into a tree at 120kmh in a 60 zone like some young couple did in a 5 star rated WRX a mth back outside my office. Tragedy for those left behind.

ta
rolf

Recently a 17 year old P rolled his car very close to my place while negotiating a right hand corner :(

Not that long ago this same corner was in a 100k zone, now in 80k zone and it is so mild that it has never had an advisory sign on it.

Years ago, I and plenty of others used to go around this curve at whatever speed we were doing at the time :D It was only that I saw the car on its side that I was able to work out where the accident was when mentioned in the news.

His car appeared in good condition and the weather was fine, I would suggest that texting may have a lot to do with this one :eek:

Fortunately, it seems he will be OK but a hard way to learn that driving needs concentration at all times.

ta
rolf
A few weeks ago, we had a fatal accident in the street I travel along to go home every single day .. 3 younger blokes in a car, dead straight road, 60km/h per hour zone...about 200 metres down the road from my son's primary school.

It was on the news and everything...still has the Police tape around the property (a newly built holiday house on a corner of the said street and a side street..

They lost control somehow, crashed into a house (into the garage actually - which almost fell down from the impact - speed involved) and two were killed..

No other cars involved, but a witness saw them overtake another car and lose control after passing and veer sideways left off the road...it's a highly built up suburban street with no traffic or pedestrians at that time - it was about 9.00pm at night.

It is not a street that you can really justify doing any sort of speed either, because they were only about 200 metres from the end of the road which is at the beach, and T-intersection

Last edited:

Teach them to drive properly and it won't be an issue.

My first car was a Holden Torana that was older than I was. It required actual care in the wet, rather than the standard 'point and squeeze' attitude I see from a lot of younger drivers (I've helped teach a few).

Teach them to drive properly and it won't be an issue.

My first car was a Holden Torana that was older than I was. It required actual care in the wet, rather than the standard 'point and squeeze' attitude I see from a lot of younger drivers (I've helped teach a few).

So all the safety features in cars is just for people who can't drive?

Interesting.

Ironically 5 minutes after I posted this a story popped up on my facebook feed from my local paper. Accident between an old 80's Corolla and a late model Rav 4. Guy in the Corolla is dead and the 3 people in the Rav 4 walked away from it, no word on who's fault it is but regardless. +1 for old bombs then...

I wonder if the person who was driving the Corolla is wandering the afterlife wishing they had an air bag. Oh well. :(

10380964_10152137964960988_4972180696875663698_n.jpg

Last edited:
So all the safety features in cars is just for people who can't drive?

Interesting.
Not exactly that they can't drive - many make bad decisions, and many are not concentrating - at the wrong time...it's to protect them from the ones who are making bad decisions and not concentrating.

Texting is the new wild card killer in the mix of course.

Despite fines for using phones, I see loads and loads of folks on them when driving.

People who can drive - sensibly - usually have very few accidents.

I'd love a dollar for every time I see folks hurtling up the freeway in the pouring rain, in the right lane, hard up the @rse of the driver in front who is holding them up - as they overtake me whilst I'm doing just under 100km/h (wet weather adjustment).

I normally sit on about $100-105km/h in the good weather - never get fined and not too fast/slow usually.

Now; in my opinion they are both making very bad decisions considering the conditions; and one is making a much worse decision that the other - guess which one - and we don't even know how good/bad their tyres and/or driving skill/experience is at that time.

I drive at the speed limit all the time, and I assume everyone is about to do something silly ahead of me, so adopt the 2 second rule when following cars...

Maybe it's because I'm older. :confused: But I'm not one of those annoying old f@rts who travel below the speed limit and create danger because of their variation to the traffic flow. They think they are doing the right thing by going slower, but are not. That is not sensible driving either.

Haven't had a speeding fine or crash in a couple of decades as a result, so there might be something in that - and I've driven some pretty awful cars along the way.

I'll probably get cleaned up by some fool on the way home while I'm texting, speeding and tailgating tonight on the way home though....

Last edited:
I've never had an accident and I consider myself to be a pretty good driver. I've driven in Ireland, UK, France, Spain and Italy. And I have to say I think WA drivers are craaaaaazzzzzyyyy. The number of times I have seen red lights ignored is frightening.

I think you would be very foolish to think that being a responsible driver will protect you from accidents in this or any other country for that matter.

Last month I saw someone get cleaned out by a ute running a red light very late and at speed. It was at a bridge going over a motorway and only the crash barriers stopped the other car going over and dropping down onto the motorway below. Driver was not doing anything wrong, had just slowly driven across the junction on a green light (I was the car behind). Luckily he got out of the car and seemed ok - he was driving a newish SUV.

On a side note ....why oh why do people keep driving into houses over here?? Every week in Perth there is at least one report of someone driving into someone's house. It's surreal. Maybe it's because there are so many dual carriageways running through residential areas, so people lose control at higher speeds and, without crash barriers, go straight into homes??

Back