Faulty Hungry Air-Con in Rented unit

There might be more efficient high end systems about is it reasonable to expect the owner to keep up to date with the latest? For comparison, few owners do that in their own residences.

Yeah, but tenants are special and should be kept up to date because they are paying such large sums of money for the asset.:eek::D

Had one couple of months ago. Went to the unit (next door to the unit we use as an office) as some lights out. Sure enough one bulb out in a 2 bulb fitting. Get a little ladder and take bulb out give it to her and tell her to get another and let us know and we will install. Discussion ensues as to what type of bulb and where to buy then she says it's OK she will make do with the one bulb. For the sake of a $3 light bulb WTF.

She then takes me to the bathroom and wants me to install a heater to help with the condensation. She wants a strip heater installed. (basically there is not a stretch of wall long enough to accommodate) I tell her to buy a $20 blower heater and set it on the washing machine.

Are we running a hotel!!!! Sometimes the tenants really do think so.

Cheers

Whilst I agree with what has been said, and that if it is not faulty then it is not the landlord's job to ensure the appliances are energy efficient, I would still mention it to the PM or landlord.

If I owned a place that had a continual turnover of tenants, and I was paying an agent a week's rent each six months or so and I found out they were leaving due to high heating or cooling bills, I would consider changing that appliance, especially if it is old.

I look at it similarly to an IP we had where the sewerage backed up into the yard every six months or so. After paying a plumber each time to run an eel through it, and knowing there were so many trees in neighbouring yards that we could never stop the roots from invading the old clay pipes, we bit the bullet and put in a new sewer. It cost about $4K from memory but our plan was to hold the house long term so money spent now saved us paying the plumber every few months and probably saved money in the long run.

Maybe the landlord has no idea why the tenants leave so often?

I would suggest that you spend $40 and get an oil column heater, they will usually heat a 2 bd unit at about half the cost of a modern A/C so should be far cheaper than an older AC

I am wondering if the quality of life fashion that led to the demand for airconditioners will be sustained into the future with the increases in energy charges.

We are all aware that some developers and builders could have done a little better in the first place, but they must have satisfied government regulation and inspection such as they are.

It is usual for our PMs to get demands for airconditioning as a matter of course. That has included a large house originally built to the high standard of Defence Service Homes and added to later with a large special natural ventilating unit for the Digger owner who suffered airway problems (and airconditioning would have made worse).

Whether the airconditioning units are operated or cleaned is another question.

What has been going on is that the ante for rental homes is continually being raised. Sometimes by regulators, RTA advice and Tribunal decisions and sometimes by owners hoping to earn better than the paltry 2% or whatever.

Having rented again not so long ago while a new house was built my wife and I especially noted that the PMs almost invariably and unconsciously promoted airconditioning. We found ourselves saying that the sort of larger homes we after didn't need it.

Is airconditioning demand driven? Maybe, but there would be very few home owners who wouldn't prefer to have it switched off with the ramping up of energy bills over the past decade. Consumers have to get used to not being subsided by other users says Government, remember global warming and other government commitments etc.

Faulty aircondioner is considered an urgent repair. Based on Fair Trade NSW goverment.

"If urgent repairs are needed you should notify the
landlord or agent right away. The landlord or agent must
arrange for the repairs to be done as soon as possible. If
you cannot reach them, check your tenancy agreement
for the details of a nominated tradesperson to contact.
If urgent repairs are not done within a reasonable time
you may be able to arrange for the work to be done and
be reimbursed by the landlord (but only up to $1000).
However, you must be able to show that:
● the need for the urgent repair was not your fault
● you contacted the landlord or agent about the
problem or made a reasonable attempt to do so
● you gave the landlord or agent a reasonable
opportunity to get the repairs done
● the repairs were carried out by a licensed
tradesperson (if appropriate).
You must give the landlord written notice setting out
the details of the repair and copies of all receipts. The
landlord is required to pay you back within 14 days of
receiving your notice. If they do not you can apply to the
Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal for an order"

Hope this helps.

Get yourself a small portable energy efficient heater, and only use it to heat one room at a time (by closing off all doors to maintain the heat in that one room only).

Most of the portable ones are very cheap, and would probably provide a better heat than an old AC anyway.

Being a unit it shouldn't cost you too much - certainly less than what you've been paying I would think.

Air conditioning for heating is more energy efficient than electric resistive heating -- radiators and the such. Unless the unit has some kind of fault where part of the heat is going outside or something.

Probably the OP is heating up a huge area, for a long time. Turn the thermostat down.

Back