Gladstone Air-Con Recommendation

Hey somersofters, anyone have a good recommendation for a company to go through for a replacement air-con in gladstone, it's a small inner city unit. Agent says current 8 year old one has a "faulty outdoor PCB", whatever that means?

Side question, can this expense be covered under insurance?
thanks in advance!

I have used Azure Air Conditioning for a couple of installs I've had done.

Cheers Spacebar!! Agent has obtained a few quotes & Azure looks the best priced so you were spot on! Frustratingly the unit's 2nd air-con is now leaking.. looks like xmas shopping will be tight this year!

aircons are repairable\
external printed circuit boards ~$300 are cheaper than a new outside unit, split system, that requires a regas anyway

compressor seal and regassing ~$200

work (? show up anyway) in the territory, 54 aircons, circuit boards take 10 min to change
flip service breaker,
undo 4 screws on outside case
undo 1 screw on pcb retainer
unclip 3 wire connectors (install in same place on new board as you go)
pull old board
plug in new board
do up 5 screws
switch service breaker on

daikin inverters others may be different number of wires and screws

by make + model, they sell pcb on ebay

aircons are repairable\
external printed circuit boards ~$300 are cheaper than a new outside unit, split system, that requires a regas anyway

work (? show up anyway) in the territory, 54 aircons, circuit boards take 10 min to change
flip service breaker,
undo 4 screws on outside case
undo 1 screw on pcb retainer
unclip 3 wire connectors (install in same place on new board as you go)
pull old board
plug in new board
do up 5 screws
switch service breaker on

daikin inverters others may be different number of wires and screws

by make + model, they sell pcb on ebay

Cheers AlmostBob! On the work order form it says it will require new PCB, tried to source but no luck. Wonder if these things come in & out of stock around the place so if I just say i'll wait until they can source one? Few hundred dollars certainly beats almost a couple grand!

approach the importer, maker, directly, sometimes end user gets better service than dealers
I'm assuming that everybody is turning the aircon on, for the first time, after leaving them
to fill up with leaves and dirt all winter, not cycling so the oil pools at the bottom, instead of in the compressor, phooomm dead,​
so they ran out of spares
(am getting aircon compressor repair for my camper because I left it
to fill up with leaves and dirt all winter, not cycling so the oil pools at the bottom, instead of in the compressor, phooomm dead,​
waiting 4 weeks for kia spares)

the aircon bloke here, has more work than he wants, so he sold a box of boards, gave instructions, and skedaddled.
when the units fail catastrophically he takes them away recos brings them back ~$400, he knows its not the pcb

left out a line in the first reply
me said:
should be
leaking is usually

Last edited:
kelivinator ksr20, lifespan 20+ years

main pcb outside LINK $256.10 in stock

that'll do it

I don't think the repairer is trying it on,
too many recommendations, word of mouth,
too many websites for 'out rogue businesses',
can't get away with scamming

he may only use factory parts, for warranty purposes, after 8 years warranty is long dead

kelivinator ksr20, lifespan 20+ years

main pcb outside LINK $256.10 in stock

that'll do it

I don't think the repairer is trying it on,
too many recommendations, word of mouth,
too many websites for 'out rogue businesses',
can't get away with scamming

he may only use factory parts, for warranty purposes, after 8 years warranty is long dead

Legendary AlmostBob! Can't thank you enough for your help on this, definitely a financial relief! I'll be sure to update with how it goes!

airconditioners it seems should be regularly operated, to keep the lubricant mixed in the refrigerant gas, moving around the vanes and seals of the compoments, who knew

If anybody is looking for an aircon bloke in Queensland now
contact travelling aircon guru Paul
Cowboy Refrigeration
Service and installation of Domestic Air Conditioning
Paul Hackett
Ph 0418 907 382​

based out of Kununurra,
worth it, if you can get him, not sure of his route
50 aircons, 12 just not working, everything dirty, using heaps too much $electrical when he got here
50 aircons, peak load down 20kw when he left

prices fair and reasonable, and a nice bloke

and booked to return when he comes back this way

Back