Hunza Pie
Been cooking this one for 30 years now.

1 bunch spinach fine chopped
2 onions fine diced
cook one cup of rice, cool it a bit
4 cups grated tasty cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
6 large cooked potatoes mashed

Mix all ingredients well ( except the potatoes ) , get those hands in there.
Can be mixed in a plastic bag.
Press mixture into a greased baking dish.
Top with mashed potato, track the top of the mash with a fork.
Bake at 180c for about 45 mins, top should be light brown.
Make extra, freezes and reheats in microwave just great.
Enjoy.
cheers
crest133

lizzie said:
must be a business opportunity there ...
No demand at all, its hard when the only person who has even heard of matzo is me. Nova Scotia is a trip back to 1940's Aus, the Sullivans (aging myself?) will fit right in. The local Sunday paper ran a story welcoming both families of immigrants to the province, an extremely homogeneous place

I'm sorry guys... I know I'm a philistine, but the vege recipes just aren't ringing a bell with me; however, more than happy to have them served to me and have my horizons expanded.

I cooked a special meal for my wife and myself on Friday night - just to show her how special she is to me...

2 x ~3-400g Prime Rib steaks - about 1" thick.
Seared quickly on each side then cooked indirectly on the grill of a hooded BBQ (same as oven, but you get the bonus of char-grill marks & taste) until medium.
Served Garlic roast potato & veg

Dessert - Butter Crepes (recipe above), served with crushed & warmed blackberries (for filling and sauce), a smear of Marscapone also as a filling, a scoop (or 2) of choc fudge Ice-Cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Now that's a meal....

I've got a stunner recipe coming.....made it last night and my partner was floored.......came from the chefs who run E'cco in Brisbane....who Brisbanites would have heard of....

It is pork done in a "master stock" served with mushrooms and bok choy....
I am not fond of pork, and have thought all day how to adapt it to beef or lamb....though it is a fusion of sweetness and traditional asian garlic, ginger, and chili...... will post tomorrow when I have time to write out the recipe from hardcopy....

Barracuda said:
I'm sorry guys... I know I'm a philistine, but the vege recipes just aren't ringing a bell with me; however, more than happy to have them served to me and have my horizons expanded.

I cooked a special meal for my wife and myself on Friday night - just to show her how special she is to me...

2 x ~3-400g Prime Rib steaks - about 1" thick.
Seared quickly on each side then cooked indirectly on the grill of a hooded BBQ (same as oven, but you get the bonus of char-grill marks & taste) until medium.
Served Garlic roast potato & veg

Dessert - Butter Crepes (recipe above), served with crushed & warmed blackberries (for filling and sauce), a smear of Marscapone also as a filling, a scoop (or 2) of choc fudge Ice-Cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Now that's a meal....

Ah Yea, now thats my kinda tucker .Oh and l hope you served the steaks with a well chilled ale [or 2]:D

yadreamin said:
Ah Yea, now thats my kinda tucker .Oh and l hope you served the steaks with a well chilled ale [or 2]:D
Ale for a steak?

No, a lovely bottle of red (or three) would be much better ;)

geoffw said:
Ale for a steak?

No, a lovely bottle of red (or three) would be much better ;)

Well, I'm with Geoff here, the red wine won the best supporting role for the night.

Unfortunately, after 12 months not drinking (easier than you think) I couldn't bring myself to open a bottle and reached for the cask of Banrock Station that I keep for cooking.:(

Perhaps I've left it on the shelf a little too long and I should get a fresh cask....

Cheers, Barracuda

Pork in Master Stock with Mushrooms and Bok Choy

Sorry for the delay....here's the recipe...comes from e'cco bistro in Brisbane, a long time favourite of the in crowd.....

1kg lean Pork Belly
2 bunches Bok Choy quartered
olive oil
300g mixed mushrooms (shiitake, shimeji, wood ear, oyster, enoki) cleaned
2 red chilis, finely sliced
1 small knob ginger, finely sliced
salt and pepper

Stock
2L chicken stock or water
200 ml shao hsing cooking wine (chinese rice wine)
150 ml soy sauce
100g castor sugar
3 strips dried orange peels
2 sticks of cassia bark or 1 cinnamon quill
4 star anise
4 garlic cloves
1 large knob of ginger, sliced
3 spring onions

The night before eating:

Stock: all ingredients into pot at moderate heat to boil, then simmer for 20-30 mins. remove from heat.

Preheat oven 150C.
Place pork in flat baking tray/dish, place strained stock over, place baking paper over with weight on top (another smaller dish) to keep pork flat during cooking. Cook for 1.5-2 hours, turning once. Test with skewer (comes out easily)
Refrigerate overnight in stock.
Remove pork from stock, slice into 3 slices per serve.
Reheat stock til warmed through, strain again through fine seive, and add pork over low heat.

Meanwhile blanch bok choy for 1-2 mins in boiling water.
Drain.
Heat oil in fry pan over high heat.Add mushies tossing gently. Add ginger and chili.

To serve, place 2 slices pork on bottom of bowl, top with bok choy and mushies, then another slice of pork. Spoon over a little of the stock.

Keep the stock for future use, adding aromatics and liquid as necessary. In China, some master stocks are generations old.

My notes:
I didn't weight the pork when cooking, and we ate it on the night. Though the leftovers threw off a lot of fat that we strained off the next day. I also used white wine, rather then rice wine, as Coles were out of it when I went shopping. Zapped the bok choy for a couple of mins. I will add red capsicum and snow peas next time I cook it. And I served with lots of stock in each bowl.

Recommended wines:
St Hallet Gamekeepers Reserve Shiraz Grenarche $12
Podre Ruggeri Corsini Langhe Nebbiolo $30

Back