Fencing issues

one side of my property has a timber fence, the other sides don't have any. so i talked to my other two neighbors if i can put up a timber fence (to be consistent with what i already have on one side) and asked them to share with the cost. one neighbor wanted to fence his and my side of the property chain wire as this is what he has on his other side of the property; meanwhile my other neighbor doesn't really care but has indicated to pay the minimum (chain wire i guess) as he is planning to develop his property next year and will have to erect a fence according to his specs.

while i understand their concerns, i'm not sure how to proceed. I want a timber fence or no fence at all.

can somebody please give me some options.

cheers,

Simply follow the procedure, and do it all in writing. So issue a "notice to fence" with a quote for a timber fence, then if they want chain wire, it'll be up to them to prove that this is the standard for the neighbourhood and submit their objections etc. Whatever you do, FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE. Deviate from it and you could end up not being entitled to anything from the neighbours. :eek:

opps, forgot to mention.

I have sent them written notices and emailed them copies of the quotes. they emailed back with their concerns as mentioned in my post above.

as much as possible, i don't want to antagonize my neighbors by going to a court. is there any other option?

as much as possible, i don't want to antagonize my neighbors by going to a court. is there any other option?

Yes. One of you is going to have to "give in". You woun't get far with the attitude of "I want a timber fence or no fence at all".

Put yourself in the other guy's shoes. Why would he want chain wire one side and timber the other? (Yes I know, same thing applies to you :()

Where people really cannot agree, they often put up a fence and then come inside their own boundary and erect, at their own cost, their prefered fence.

I personally went through this recently. We had to replace a rear fence. All ours were primrose colorbond. All the back neighbour's were green colorbond. I don't like green. He wanted to match his colour - all perfectly understandable.

We could have double sheeted the fence green his side and primrose our side or we could have resprayed one side. However, commonsense and a willingness to compromise ruled the day and we did primrose posts & rails and green sheets.......and now the plants in the garden have grown, neither of us can even see the damn fence. ;)

What do most houses in the street have? If chain wire is the predominant fencing type, and you think that the neighbour won't budge from wanting chain wire, and you absolutely want a timber fence and there's no fence at all currently, I'd be tempted to put up a timber fence at your own cost right now. At least that way you'll only have to pay for your timber fence, and your neighbour won't then have grounds to come after you for half of a chain-wire fence, because there's an adequate existing fence.

But if there's no dividing fence, and chain-wire is the standard, you could be forced to pay half for a chain-wire as "the dividing fence", AND bear the whole cost of a timber fence as well, to comply with your aesthetic desires. Ouch! :eek:

If timber is the predominant type in the street/area, then the neighbour has to pay for a timber fence, whether he wants it or not. And if they won't agree, then I don't see any option other than going through the courts.

Back