Ferntree Gully for FHB

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first house and wanted some opinions on Ferntree Gully from those that know the area well.

The houses and land seem quite large to me and I think the prices are what we are comfortable with (i.e. Under 500k)
Another thing that attracts me to this area is the train line, as opposed to some other surrounding areas (Knoxfield, Rowville etc) as I think they are too car dependant.
As I generally work in the CBD I don't want to be too far from a train, and really don't want to rely on buses to get me to a station.

Our plan is to either keep this house as our PPOR and buy an IP in another few years or after a few years turn it into an IP and buy another PPOR closer in.
What are rentals like around there? Vacancy rates etc?

Any advice would be appreciated,

G.

Thanks Y-Man, I have noticed your positive comments on FTGully before so thought you'd reply sooner or later. :)

Have you ever owned IP's around there or only PPOR's?

G Man,

I have never owned property in the area, but know several who have/do.

The main thing I see is the relative affordability of the area, decent transport (at least north of the highway), without being the mountain goat country of the UFG.

It is quite a long ride to the city though - check metlink timetables.

The Y-man

G'day,

I'm not far from FTG. I think it will jump fairly soon to match the prices in Boronia. You're right, the train line is a great asset. In the last 12 months I noticed that Boronia jumped very significantly, especially places over 800m2 for development. I didn't notice the same jump in FTG, maybe its yet to come?

Just make sure you get a burger at Captain Americas, they're amazing!

G Man,

It is quite a long ride to the city though - check metlink timetables.

The Y-man

Thanks Y-Man, I have done that as I used to live in Box HIll which would take me around 45 minutes to get to work (city) and FTG station is 25 minutes longer. That I can handle.

G'day,

I'm not far from FTG. I think it will jump fairly soon to match the prices in Boronia. You're right, the train line is a great asset. In the last 12 months I noticed that Boronia jumped very significantly, especially places over 800m2 for development. I didn't notice the same jump in FTG, maybe its yet to come?

Just make sure you get a burger at Captain Americas, they're amazing!

Thanks landlord, from what I can tell FTG has had fairly steady growth over the last few years but no great jump, but as you say it may be yet to come.
Can't comment on Captain America's but will try it, that and frequent drives up to Pie in the Sky.......

What part of FTG? Down towards Mountain Gate is good around Windermere estate. Not to keen on the triangle of FTG road-Burwood HWY and Scorsby road.

Not to keen on the triangle of FTG road-Burwood HWY and Scorsby road.

Hi Y33,
Any reason why?

There seems to be more places for sale around the Windermere estate, but I would prefer on the north side of Burwood Hwy between Dorset and Scoresby rds.
Closer to the station suits me, although if I found the right house around Windemere rd then I'd settle with that.

Back