FHOG Doubled and Tripled

ok, just got off the phone to mb. He says that he is investigating. He is not sure if its the contract date they look at or the settlement date. Hopefully I will hear from him soon.

Lynn

I think I see where you're heading with this.

Many of the FHBs tend to look at "wheres my $7k" not realising that they're beating the rush and just made it.

I can see the positives here too but atm i'm still pissed and will be for a few days, like some other peeps here on this forum. Its only natural isnt it..... I will be grumpy for a while.

ok, let me know when you find out! I signed a contract 5 weeks ago and it settles in 3 weeks so kinda in the same position.

Havent had a chance to read back through the other posts to see.... Did you send in your application already? Has the cash been deposited in your account yet. Just wandering. Mine was sent to Melbourne by accident. Will be mailed to Perth tomorrow I think. I hope this helps.

Sure I'll let ya know.

I think it's natural to be a bit annoyed missing out on $7k by a few weeks.
So whats the deal, I know its from today but is the new FHBG from signing contract or settlement?
I signed a contract 6 weeks ago but settlement isn't for another 3 weeks.
It really should be from settlement because thats when they hand over the cashola

omg you said the exact same thing I did in my recent post. I hadnt even read this message of yours yet haha

Well my fhog application was sent to the Melbourne ANZ instead of Perth's ANZ. I just wish it would get lost, and then I could fill out another form.
Dunno even if that would help. Probably wont qualify for the extra $7 K

Chances are it may get lost - according to my wife who works in mortgages at One Direct (ala ANZ). These go missing all the time. Good luck with it - lets hope for your sake it has gone missing!!!:D

Chances are it may get lost - according to my wife who works in mortgages at One Direct (ala ANZ). These go missing all the time. Good luck with it - lets hope for your sake it has gone missing!!!:D

I hope they go by the date they recieve the application. lol
:)

Found this in another topic. Posted by Invstor

Hope this is true!!

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=469302&posted=1#post469302

Originally Posted by INVSTOR
This is a quote from a Perth spruiker:

2.) The Rudd Federal Government has this morning doubled the FHB grant from $7,000 to $14,000, while those FHB who build - will get a grant of $21,000. This Commonwealth assistance is for the 2008-09 financial year, so it expires in 8.5 months time.

Yes, thats what i'm doing. I'll live in the House for 6 months then move home and rent it out.... i'll only miss out on about $1500 stamp relief... not really worth staying another 6 months

i wish my stamp duty was so cheap. Mine is costing 9k!!! i hate all these fees and charges!

I think it's natural to be a bit annoyed missing out on $7k by a few weeks.
So whats the deal, I know its from today but is the new FHBG from signing contract or settlement?
I signed a contract 6 weeks ago but settlement isn't for another 3 weeks.
It really should be from settlement because thats when they hand over the cashola

Im in the same boat. Not happy jan

Why so angry people!

I am amazed at the emotion of individuals here (and two other acquaintenaces that also had the same reaction) to the news about the rules on the FHOG and how they just missed out based on the eligibility rules, having just recebtly purchased. It comes across as if you were owed something, and then the government took it away from you.

My question is to those who are feeling aggrieved, if you committed to the purchase, I am assuming you believe it was in your best financial interests to do so. Then what has changed after this policy announcement? :confused:

So... is anybody here in a position to offer low-cost new homes to FHBs who are chasing the $21k? I imagine that if you could produce such a product around the $200k price point there would be plenty of interest. Bloody narrow window to squeeze through though!

So... is anybody here in a position to offer low-cost new homes to FHBs who are chasing the $21k? I imagine that if you could produce such a product around the $200k price point there would be plenty of interest. Bloody narrow window to squeeze through though!

Hi MC,

Yes, there are a few properties around my area for $200K give or take.......BUT if the FHB's are going to be Gen Y's who in my narrow experience (to date) want all the best now (using Mum & dad's last place as a starting point) then they will be sorely disappointed with what $200K will get them.

If FHB's want to take the "climb-the-ladder" approach then there is certainly some opportunity - but not for long IMHO.

Lynn,

Sorry I didn't answer you questions.. I think backdrafting policies is a path too messy to go down.

I didn’t know censorship was a problem here.. I like having a good rant about the government. I think they can do a much better job at implementing their policies.. people usually like to plan ahead when buying their first property, it would be good if the government could do the same when make such policies. Remember the current economic situation didn’t occur overnight.

While I’m on the topic of dissing the government, will I get in trouble for blaming the cost of houses (7.5x the average wage) on them? i.e. their encouragement of negative gearing fuelling the price bubble, and their building restrictions causing a chronic undersupply?

Its not a Gen Y issue - it would happen across the board - dont see where I said Gen Y anywhere

you didn't say gen y and you didn't need to... your reference to "kids" in your last post confirms this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your point was that first home buyers (kids) have the luxury of buying unnecessary crap with their first home ... umm, wake up.

Its obvious most kids are spending their disposable income on crap, but the dedicated kid buying a house in this environment wouldn't be wasting a cent of a government grant on crap. don't confuse the two.

A newly built home for 200k? Maybe if it's a 2 bedder and one bath in the country. A 200k home means the builder makes 40k. We arn't in a hurry to build these sorts of homes.

Back in 1978 when I started investing I got No FHOG, No stamp duty relief.

Actually nothing at all. I worked 3 jobs to cover negative shortfalls:eek:
But kept on moving forward. Well there was not much else to do?

Gee Cee, If you chose to negative gear up to your neck back in the day that was your choice.. this grant is for people getting into the market

A newly built home for 200k? Maybe if it's a 2 bedder and one bath in the country. A 200k home means the builder makes 40k. We arn't in a hurry to build these sorts of homes.

Well, given the huge slump in demand for the sort of homes 'you' are building, it's a wonder! This will only stimulate demand at a price point that is attractive to FHBs. And the idea that you can't build a "home" for $200k is laughable. The FHOG is available on houses, duplexes, flats, units, studios...

Theres no contradiction. The kids that could get in with 7k now have 14k. In my limited experience most will find somewhere to spend it on a plasma, trip etc... sorry I use plasma liberally I admit.

Its not a Gen Y issue - it would happen across the board - dont see where I said Gen Y anywhere

how do you expect consistency in this economic environment much less any other... do you expect the govt to keep the grant at 14k now forever just to be consistent?

The recurring theme that runs through my mind with it all is beggars cant be choosers.

You've got pensioners happy but whinging they're getting some extra $, you've got FHB's doing the same thing.

Its good to see that you can appreciate things though

I was hoping to use the extra towards a car!!!!

If your living in Melbourne you could buy a new home in Melton on a small block say 300sqm for about $220k new.

Withe the FHBG of $21k you would only need to save about $5k and you would have $10% deposit. Good times!

Back