Fhog

No it would be too soon to call. However I am sure that once people calculate that the repayments of a home loan in many cases will be below or similar to their rent there will be plenty of renters making the move.

There's certainly lots of first home buyers in the market right now, but given the time it takes to find a house and then settle on it, chances are that many landlords wouldn't be hit with vacancies yet even if is is the cause of tenants leaving in the near future.

The good news is that many of these vacancies would start appearing in late January or February, which in many markets is the ideal time to be looking for a new tenant.

Overall though, the tenant pool is quite large and I don't see it having a huge dent on the people looking to rent.

No, and I believe most of our tenants are unlikely to buy as most of our IP's are in low socio-economic areas.

Even those who can afford to buy won't because purchasing a home is as much about attitude as affordability. It is hard to change the learned response "Oh no, we could never afford to buy our own home" even when the facts say otherwise.

We have property which would have cost the person renting less per week to buy than rent, but they still rented week-in week-out even after we showed them they would be better off. They didn't wan't the commitment.

Andrew

Back