Filling holes in door handles

Hi there

I am replacing my internal door handles which are the really old ones where if it has a lock, there are two holes in the doors. The new ones only need one hole in the door, so I'm wondering if I just fill up the hole with a similar sized piece of wood and putty and sand around it?

Has anyone had similar experience and could shed some light as to what is an easy fix?

many thanks

In my experience it never quite turns out right, and you end up doing lots of mucking around/painting/putty blah blah blah then a few months later it's cracked and ugly. If you use a really strong adhesive/take serious time doing it with a similarly sized piece of wood glued in then puttied then sanded then resanded then painted then aaargh then I guess it'll turn out okay, but imo bugger it - cheaper and faster just to put a deadlock in the extra hole for 25 bucks and there you go

A two pack builders bog is the best and then when its dry,use base coat or cornice cement,this fills the finer areas ,sand with fine sandpaper,
undercoat and then apply your top coat.

If they are just plain interior doors it could be easier/cheaper to just buy a new one for $25.
Depends if you have the skills to trim to size and hang a new door.

Get yourself a peice of timber at similar size thickness to the door.

Get hole saw size of hole

Drill the timber so u get a peice to fit in hole

liquid nail in

bog with cornice cement or whatever compound you wish and ta ta.

But bear in mind new doors with 4 panels on em can be bought for $40 each + install labour.

I understand if its just a patch etc.

If house looks crap as it is and you dont wanna spend money you can just cut sqaaures and put over the holes and paint and this will take 10 mins and patch up till next time u want to reno.

A two pack builders bog is the best and then when its dry,use base coat or cornice cement,this fills the finer areas ,sand with fine sandpaper,
undercoat and then apply your top coat.

Mate, what Pa1nter said is spot on. The trick is to do the builders bog in a couple of stages. Make sure that the bog is squeezed in behind the door. That way the chance of the bog cracking is minimized greatly. The good thing is that it doesn't take a long time to do. Have a crack!

Great, thanks guys.

I will give it a go! It is for a sale so hopefully no cracks for at least a few months. Of course I would want to do a good job for the buyer.

cheers

starbright

I would assume you are replacing the existing door locks with a cylinder type IE one you use a hole saw to drill out (about 51mm dia).

If this is the case Just get a peice of jamb type material about 200mm long 100mm wide and 18 mm thick. Mark a line on the 18mm thick side and also along one face of your jamb measure from this face edge and mark 60mm then drill your 51mm hole in this peice of jamb.

Now mark the edge of the door where the lock is to go.
Line the mark up on the peice of jamb and your mark on the door edge keep face edge of jamb flush to edge of door. Clamp in place. Use your whole saw and drill hole that way you don't have to worry about filling the holes you now just put in the new cylinder lock. You may have to fill in the two small screw holes that held the face plates on.

This will take a LOT LESS time and leaves a better job and you will not have to buy new doors.
Just keep the hole saw level and square to the door when drilling if not confident drill from one side about half way or bit more and put the jamb on the other side and drill to meet up with your first hole, or make two jambs with hole.

Hope the above makes sense. If I have confused you let me know and I will post a photo on the one I now carry around in my ute for this sole purpose.

Brian

Back