Financial quotient

Ok so following the discussion on the this thread there was mention of FQ or financial quotient as a concept in a similar vein to IQ and EQ.

So...

What is it?

How does one get more of it?

Can people who have lots of it share it with people who have less of it or is it somehow fixed?

Thoughts?

its not fixed

learnable for sure

ta
rolf

Ok so following the discussion on the this thread there was mention of FQ or financial quotient as a concept in a similar vein to IQ and EQ.

So...

What is it?

How does one get more of it?

Can people who have lots of it share it with people who have less of it or is it somehow fixed?

Thoughts?

is the quotient proportional to the time spent (or number of posts) on SS?

It's based on the green dot's, apparently you get red dot's in the RH side of your posts if you're naughty ;)

Sash said:
very few people have FQ (Financial Quotient) to be truly wealthy. This is why rich people know and understand the value of a dollar. Some of the tightest people are are also the richest...I even know some on SS....I am not telling though!

Never heard of Finance Quotinet before, though I did find this from RDPD

Financial Intelligence

“It is not real estate, stocks, mutual funds, businesses, or money that make a person rich,” Kiyosaki writes. “It is information, knowledge, wisdom, and know-how, a.k.a. financial intelligence, that makes one wealthy.” He notes that buying a new set of golf clubs won’t improve your game, but paying for lessons will. It’s his hope that Increase Your Financial IQ can help readers improve their money “game”.

Kiyosaki divides financial intelligence into five “Financial IQs”:

1.Making more money. This is measured by how much money you earn. If you make $100,000 a year, you have a higher Financial IQ than someone earning $30,000 a year.

2.Protecting your money. Once you earn your money, you need to hold onto it. Protecting your money, especially from taxes, is the second Financial IQ.

3.Budgeting your money. “Being able to live well and still invest no matter how much you make requires a high level of financial intelligence,” Kiyosaki writes. This Financial IQ is measured by how much money you have left after expenses.

4.Leveraging your money. This Financial IQ is measured by return on investment. How well do you make your budget surplus generate more money?

5.Improving your financial information. Financial information doesn’t just mean knowledge of basic financial concepts — it also means detailed knowledge of the investments you make.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/05/07/robert-kiyosaki-increase-your-financial-iq/

Apparently

Intelligence Quotient (IQ) is used to measure the intellectual of a person in solving problems

Emotional Quotient (EQ) or Emotional intelligence (EI) is the ability to identify, assess, and control the emotions of oneself, of others, and of groups

Financial Quotient (FQ) is about the intelligence on managing your money

I belive its important to develop your emotional intelligence (EI) as an investor and overcoming some fears also, maybe my EI blends with Sash's FQ though?

i.e. overcome some of these fears with knowledge

Last edited:
Making more money. This is measured by how much money you earn. If you make $100,000 a year, you have a higher Financial IQ than someone earning $30,000 a year.

Gotta disagree on that one. I can show you hundreds of people I have met who earn six figure amounts who have a high mortgage debt for a McMansion, two financed 4WDs in the driveway and a boat and a caravan both purchased new, on finance, and and and. These same folks have zilch in investments and live pay-day to payday, not even making additional Super payments. They spend twice as much as I do on groceries, ten times as much on clothes and entertainment etc etc. On the rare occassions they speak to me at work, they tell me how much they admire my guts for investing, as they couldnt posssibly do what i do. (Rolls eyes)

I would argue there is a negative correlation between university education time and 'financial quotient'.

Aaron this is precisely why I am so interested in building my FQ now as I have the classic school/degree/job background (and my job is in the welfare industry) and I know it has done NOTHING for my FQ, if anything hurt it.

REDWING - this is great! Build and Balance these 5 traits and I think that would make a huge difference. I think we should add NETWORK with people who make/protect/manage/leverage their money well.

1.Making more money. This is measured by how much money you earn. If you make $100,000 a year, you have a higher Financial IQ than someone earning $30,000 a year.

2.Protecting your money. Once you earn your money, you need to hold onto it. Protecting your money, especially from taxes, is the second Financial IQ.

3.Budgeting your money. “Being able to live well and still invest no matter how much you make requires a high level of financial intelligence,” Kiyosaki writes. This Financial IQ is measured by how much money you have left after expenses.

4.Leveraging your money. This Financial IQ is measured by return on investment. How well do you make your budget surplus generate more money?

5.Improving your financial information. Financial information doesn’t just mean knowledge of basic financial concepts — it also means detailed knowledge of the investments you make.

Making more money. This is measured by how much money you earn. If you make $100,000 a year, you have a higher Financial IQ than someone earning $30,000 a year.

Gotta disagree on that one. I can show you hundreds of people I have met who earn six figure amounts who have a high mortgage debt for a McMansion, two financed 4WDs in the driveway and a boat and a caravan both purchased new, on finance, and and and. These same folks have zilch in investments and live pay-day to payday, not even making additional Super payments. They spend twice as much as I do on groceries, ten times as much on clothes and entertainment etc etc. On the rare occassions they speak to me at work, they tell me how much they admire my guts for investing, as they couldnt posssibly do what i do. (Rolls eyes)

So 1 out of 5 traits does not a high FQ make? Making more money is great but on its own does NOT equate to a higher FQ. you need to balance it with the other 4.

So 1 out of 5 traits does not a high FQ make? Making more money is great but on its own does NOT equate to a higher FQ. you need to balance it with the other 4.

Does No.1 refer to salary/wages or passive?

Passive, I can understand, but as others have said, people on higher wages/salary will spend more and often more than they earn.

Someone earning $300K post tax passive income would have a higher FQ compared to someone making a loss of $30K from passive income.

It's based on the green dot's, apparently you get red dot's in the RH side of your posts if you're naughty ;)

Had never really taken any notice of those before. I will have to continue down the "GOOD" path. Is this not also proportional to the number of posts?

Great post and info redwing.

From my perspective....some of the key traits of wealhy people are defined via the following:

1. They tend to have above average IQs and EQs.....but very high FQ! So they might not have been the smartest or most popular in school ....but they had a burning desire to be wealthy. Really bright people or popular people tend be academics or ego driven...this is an inhibitor to success...if they have too much of this.

2. They develop a simple and repeatable investment strategy and improve this. They don't chop and change....they are decisive and patient. One of the biggest wealth destroyers is not having a clear and well defined strategy. In otherwards they are entrepeneurs.

3. They are persistent and will keep motivated and going even when all seems to be lost.

4. They are well researched and educated. They don't listened to unsuccessful people. You would not believe how many people do things because their solicitor, accountant, financial planner, or broker told them so. The first question I ask is what have you achieved?

5. Above all they are accountable ...they take action...and don't blame others or the environment (economic, status, etc.) for their failures.

My 2 cents worth.....

Never heard of Finance Quotinet before, though I did find this from RDPD

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/05/07/robert-kiyosaki-increase-your-financial-iq/

Apparently

I belive its important to develop your emotional intelligence (EI) as an investor and overcoming some fears also, maybe my EI blends with Sash's FQ though?

i.e. overcome some of these fears with knowledge

Really bright people or popular people tend be academics or ego driven...this is an inhibitor to success...if they have too much of this.

I doubt academics are really 'bright' people. For the most part they are just full-time students who so happen to like doing research or just hate going out to work in the private sector. Nothing smart about that per se.

You would not believe how many people do things because their solicitor, accountant, financial planner, or broker told them so. The first question I ask is what have you achieved?

The second question may well be, what have they achieved :D

I doubt academics are really 'bright' people. For the most part they are just full-time students who so happen to like doing research or just hate going out to work in the private sector. Nothing smart about that per se.

They had to make it into university first didn't they?

is the quotient proportional to the time spent (or number of posts) on SS?
In theory; yes.

But I'm testament to the fact that it isn't! :D

Seriously; anyone on here has a much high financial quotient than most of the planet.

Just being aware of the existence of FQ, and what it means makes yours higher than Joe Thong.

If you went out into the street and asked 100 people what a DS was, most would give you the 1000 yard stare.

But, that depends where you ask too; do it at the top end of Collins st, and a high proportion would answer correctly.

Do it at the Dandenong market and many would ask if it was another type of Gubbmint incentive they hadn't been given.

I would argue there is a negative correlation between university education time and 'financial quotient'.
True. There are loads of very intelligent people with no financial "intelligence".

We were friends with a couple in our apartment block in LA.

Both were PhD's.

She was 50, he was 44.

I'm talking enormously intelligent. She went to Stanford; him - I can't remember.

Still renting, and owned no other assets.

Were thinking about investing though.

If you went out into the street and asked 100 people what a DS was, most would give you the 1000 yard stare.

But, that depends where you ask too; do it at the top end of Collins st, and a high proportion would answer correctly.

Do it at the Dandenong market and many would ask if it was another type of Gubbmint incentive they hadn't been given.

Most would answer Nintendo DS. I would!

There's another kind of DS?

Back