Finding a mentor

Hi all,
I read an article about an investor and one of his pieces of advice was to "find yourself a mentor". It's one thing I've managed without up to now, but I think it's probably the "missing piece" of my puzzle to move forward. I have several IPs, but have just selected and bought to the best of my (limited) knowledge and ability so far (and I'm sure I could have done better with guidance). Does anyone have ideas on how one finds a "mentor"?
Thanks for any ideas!

PS Thanks to the organizers of the recent Melbourne meeting in Nunawading - was very good info. :)

Find someone has more properties, more money, more of everything than you.

More importantly, more willing to share knowledge.

Good luck.

There's a few dozen on this site right here ;)

I'd agree with this .

In Business , I know successful people who pay a mentor with good results , and I know a couple who work as mentors ( including my sister , Ex CEO etc ) . In my hobby , song writing , I have two mentors including one who has written 7 number one's in the US.. ( $120 / hour ).

I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing it the property investing area , however there are networks around , such as this place , and there are groups who meet in real time in some places . Check out meeting place.

Cliff

Nice. To elaborate further. Simply PM members whose views and strategies seem to align with yours.

Listen when you meet people. Friends parents who I just said hi to, turned out to be successful investors, even their kids didn't really know how successful.

Go and knock on developers doors, work your way up by befriending labourers. Though be genuine, as everyone is a mentor in their own way.

Some past members are now friends and potential JV partners. Others I assisted and now show me good deals. Always make sure you are not the smartest most succesful guy in your network.

Be open to learning and knowledge will come. Even those unsuccessful biter individuals can teach you what not to do if you have a posture of learning. This stands true for every aspect of your life. From rock climbing, employment, to investing.

I agree with what nhg wrote above!

i wouldn't recommend so called "mentor"...

My mentors are :

Somersoft members
what i hear @ open market
Some RE agents (some are on this forum)
My accountant (family members)
And last but not least
My excellent and efficient broker (on forum)

All above have two things in common.

Pro-activeness
property investor/developer

Thanks for all of these answers - all very good. So, I think I need to ask more questions, and network a bit more.
Time to cut down my day job hours I think! :p
Thanks again!

Find a local property investing group. A good place to start is right here. I have been to a few here in Perth and have found the speakers to be interesting, well informed and willing to share their knowledge.

Once people realise you are wanting to pick their brains out of a genuine interest to get ahead and not just because to want to give them 100 reasons why what they are doing is wrong, you will find that all sorts of knowledge will come your way.

Just a thought..

Back