Fire rated windows

Currently trying to find a good company for two 1200x1800 fire rated windows for a dwelling built on a boundary. The building site is in Melbourne metro.

Cost is the number 1 consideration but delivery times is a close second priority. Slab going in so they must be able to deliver in weeks, not months.

Anyone with any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Up here in Sydney we have a company called southern star windows, I think they originally started in Melbourne and I believe they are still operating down there so I would give them a try. That's who I use for windows and doors in Sydney.

What's your plan b? Window drenching system or fire shutter?

What fire rating do you need to achieve? (AFAIK glass doesn't carry a fire rating).

Thanks guys for the comments.

I was told that I needed sixty dash... whatever that means. I assume it is like 60/60 for party wall.

I did come across Parrhammer today when I was ringing around for quotes.

I will try Star Windows on Monday.

SNM: this is plan B; plan A was trying to get it through council through an amendment. Now the options within plan B include a fixed or an operable fire rated window.

How does fire shutter work?

Sometimes you can get a clearance if the windows are highset, above 1600mm because people can duck under the flames coming out a window when they are escaping past that way.

It does depend how/where the windows are actually faced. If you need BAL60 you may need windows with a mesh on it.

Hi WM, they are 1200x1800 but no, not above 1600 height. But they are on level 1. It is simply on a boundary but actually it is bordering a shared carport.
Council condition imposed for these bedrooms windows to be north facing and hence on the boundary with shared carport.

Has anyone used acrylic glass blocks? They come fire-rated as well. Not sure about cost at this stage. Will investigate more. These are bedroom windows. Not a really attractive looking thing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 8.24.01 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 8.24.01 pm.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 47
Hi WM, they are 1200x1800 but no, not above 1600 height. But they are on level 1. It is simply on a boundary but actually it is bordering a shared carport.
Council condition imposed for these bedrooms windows to be north facing and hence on the boundary with shared carport.

Has anyone used acrylic glass blocks? They come fire-rated as well. Not sure about cost at this stage. Will investigate more. These are bedroom windows. Not a really attractive looking thing.

Interesting. I would have tried to call the strata boundary midway through the carport if that unit uses half of it then those windows might not have been within 3m of another building.

Look into Stopline and Autofire windows or perhaps metal fire shutters.

I wouldn't use glass bricks as you need ventilation

Interesting. I would have tried to call the strata boundary midway through the carport if that unit uses half of it then those windows might not have been within 3m of another building.

That was my initial reaction too but apparently a shared carport is the same as a driveway. It is common property. Boundary rule applies. But please correct me if I was misinformed! It is gonna make a huge difference.

Fixed normal fire rated windows are a bit cheaper but extra operable sky windows will be needed. Operable fire-rated window only 1 quote so far 3K/sqm:eek: so 7K each.

No difference between glass blocks and normal fixed fire rated windows because both don't open. Both need another opening for ventilation.

How does metal shutters work?

60/60 relates to the resistance level rating.

Try:
M&J Quality Doors
Factory 3, 164-170 Barry Rd, Campbellfield, VIC 3061
Ph: (03) 9357 6444 Fax: (03) 9357 5428
Email: [email protected]
Door Manufacturer & Fire rated glazing supplier

You could try using crimsafe screens for fire attenuation, likely to be cheaper than the prices you've been quoted.

Metal shutter is built in to the structurabove the opening. They're held up by counterweight or spring loaded to remain in the open position. There's a fusible link (which melts when affected by heat or set off by a fire alarm system.

The advantage is that you can have normal windows for light and ventilation.

Hi Liz, Sanj and Scott,

Thank you for the input. I will follow up on Monday with the building surveyor to see if metal shutters is an alternative.

Been spending sometime with the land surveyor and building surveyor on the phone today. The subdivision is now right midway through the shared carport instead of the edge.

No more fire-rated windows required!!

Yeah pretty happy about that and the quotes for these windows are still coming in. Not cheap. All 10K+ for the two.

Fire engineer's fees starts at 2K apparently. Building surveyor had a mate who is one, got some advice. Didn't need to go to someone formally which is good.

Thanks for all your help. Now I know a lot more about fire rated windows than before :D

Back