Seperation of 2 Dwellings and Zero Lot Housing

Just spoke to my council in relation to a detached dual occupancy and they mentioned they dont care how close the two properties are as long as they meet BCA codes.

Im not too familiar with these codes but from i have read it I understand it is 1.8 metres unless fire rated materials are used?

What's the deal with Zero lot housing then? Usually its just the garage that extends out without any windows. As its a brick wall would this be fire rated? Also does this mean that the garage can be built on the boundary, or the eaves can go upto the boundary?

Thanks

Brick walls are usually 60/60/60 FRL in single skin, min 90mm wide. Some certifiers want these to be solid bricks, others are okay with standard bricks.

You can meet the requirement with studwork too, you generally need two skins of 16mm FYRCHEK (a different type of plasterboard) and compressed fibre cement sheeting (CFC sheet) to the external with lapped joints.

the wall will either need to extend above the roof at the boundary by 450mm min, OR use a roof of non combustible material (steel frame), OR use mineral fibre fire blanket over the timbers.

parapets are old hat though, most builders don't use these anymore.

there are a few local changes to this, notable SA of all places - and generally there's an industry accepted standard to meet the 60/60/60 in each state.

The BCA is now available free online - you will need to check out a few sections to ensure compliance - refer to fire source features which will also determine the placement of openings near boundaries if you are zero lot lined.

Last edited:
Back