Fire Safety..

Just wondering what fire protection other people use in this site ,insurance wired smoke mode detectors,cover most insurance pdf guidelines,but does anyone have a high flow rate sprinkler system room by room total floor areas under a sprinkler system,and if so what was the cost ,i'm in the final stage of setting one up, solar powered the only problem so far is flw rate of fluid onto the sprinklered sqm's of floor fire area but with the amount of small high flow rate pumps out there it's only a small problem,so if anyone knows the total install per sqm's it would help,there is not much demand for home sprinkler systems..

QLD Fire and Rescue should be able to supply or point you to the requirements. There are standards around all of this particularly if they are new installs.
A.

I was involved in a controlled burn of a house about 15 + years ago to test a number of fire related matters including a residential sprinkler system. The system worked very well, from memory we set a small pillow on fire in a bed and the sprinkler operated, extinguished the fire and shut itself off which was interesting. Contained the fire to the immediate area of the pillow.

This system I think was all metal there are now some PVC ones like this one in the link. The cost was about $1500 then but having a quick look on the net seems $1000 will sort most average properties out now, to what extent not sure have not looked up any requirements / standards.

As for my IP I have hard wired photo electric in all bedrooms, hall and lounge all interconnected when one activates they all activate.

I have stand alone photo electric in all bedrooms, lounge and hall at my PPOR.

http://members.melbpc.org.au/~dewhurst/index.html

Thanks
Brian

I was involved in a controlled burn of a house about 15 + years ago to test a number of fire related matters including a residential sprinkler system. The system worked very well, from memory we set a small pillow on fire in a bed and the sprinkler operated, extinguished the fire and shut itself off which was interesting. Contained the fire to the immediate area of the pillow.

This system I think was all metal there are now some PVC ones like this one in the link. The cost was about $1500 then but having a quick look on the net seems $1000 will sort most average properties out now, to what extent not sure have not looked up any requirements / standards.

As for my IP I have hard wired photo electric in all bedrooms, hall and lounge all interconnected when one activates they all activate.

I have stand alone photo electric in all bedrooms, lounge and hall at my PPOR.

http://members.melbpc.org.au/~dewhurst/index.html

Thanks
Brian
Brain thanks for your time to post that,i was just looking into it from a small business side of things,i have hard wired smoke modes in every property we control,insurance companies will wipe you like a dunny rag
if they it was not set-up like that,then you have the legal minefield
if there was a fire,and i hope touch wood it never happens to anyone..

Thanks ,we have all smoke mode hard wired in every property we control that let,s you sleep at night knowing,that if there is ever a problem the tenants get out safely,plus all the BCC Council requirements,plus Legal minefieds out if they are not set..
I'm just making a test unit once i get the flow rate up ,then refine the power jets,floor mounted pop ups,i think materiak cost will be above 2k
in copper pipe..

Hi Wilbur,

Are you setting a sprinkler system in a house using solar as the power source to operate a your flow pump and your wanting to know how many heads are required so you can get the correct size flow pump?

Why pop ups from the floor?

I wonder the ramification of installing a sprinkler system in an IP maybe a mine field all to itself.

Brian

Hi Scott,

Without going looking I am not aware of any regulations in regard to residential rules or standards. By residential I mean a stand alone home not units etc.

Of course if you install a system in a property (house)I dare say you will have a duty of care to ensure a system is maintained and serviced to a set standard and I dare say if things do go pear shaped a insurance company may look at any angle to leave you in the ditch and servicing, installalation certification to a set standard maybe that out.

I think existing systems are covered under AS2118 again will have to look that up.

Thanks
Brian

Back