First home buyer in Clayton (Melbourne)

Hi guys,

I am currently studying in Monash and was thinking of purchasing my first home here in Melb to stay for at least another 2-3 years.

Since I am close to Monash I searched for houses around Clayton area, and came to one at Clayton South. It is quite near to a train station. As new (2-3yrs) townhouse, with 3 bedrooms, 2 toilets and 1 lockup garage. Managed to get it down to around 530k after much bargaining.

I was wondering if this is a good suburb to buy in for future IP and if the price is right for a property like that in today's market, what with the agents marking prices up and whatnot.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Clayton south near Clayton Station or near Westall?

The Westall area has developed quite a bit recently - prior to that it had a very industrial feel to it (well, it still does IMHO :)....)

Either way, I don't think I've had an extended vacancy for our IP there (we're close to the Clayton Station end) and while we might have expected students, we've always had families in our 3Bed/2Bth.

Price - hard to say right or wrong - check sales of similar properties (age, size, location) in the area.... FYI I think we paid $175k in 2000 for ours :D (was built 1997-ish) and was going to be our first PPOR (never got to live there for various reasons)

The Y-man

It's near Westall. I'm pretty sure it's in the area called 'The Village' developed by austcorp, after reading through threads that I've searched on this forum under 'Clayton South'.

We're not very worried about its value for IP atm but more for a PPOR. I'm still looking around other places but boy have the prices risen through the roof.

Hi guys,

I am currently studying in Monash and was thinking of purchasing my first home here in Melb to stay for at least another 2-3 years.

Since I am close to Monash I searched for houses around Clayton area, and came to one at Clayton South. It is quite near to a train station. As new (2-3yrs) townhouse, with 3 bedrooms, 2 toilets and 1 lockup garage. Managed to get it down to around 530k after much bargaining.

I was wondering if this is a good suburb to buy in for future IP and if the price is right for a property like that in today's market, what with the agents marking prices up and whatnot.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Mellboy,

I live in the area, about 2km from the station ( i am actually half way between Clayton & Westall Stations). I have been watching the area closely & things have gone up a fair bit.You will be lucky to find a 3 Bdm for less than 550K (for something half decent of course). Where exactly are you looking? How many other townhouses in the the lot? It wouldnt happen to be on a corner block would it as some were built up the road from me. Anyway Clayton South is not to bad as long as you can put up with the smell from the tip of late. EPA is closing down tips & fining owners etc. Cant wait till they sort it out.

I get on at Westall station every day and haven't noticed the smell and think it would be more so closer to the Main Rd/Fairbank Rd direction, but it is something you should investigate more as it has been a problem in the area close to the Clayton Sth/Clarinda/Dingley tips.

http://moorabbin-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/clayton-south-tip-fined-for-odours/

Another thing to be aware of especially if you are on the road going from the train station to Rosebank Ave is there will be a lot of school kids using that street in the mornings and evenings to get to the school on Rosebank Ave

Thanks for the heads up.

I did a google maps and found that it is about 8 mins from Westall Station. I'm not entirely sure but I reckon it should not be a problem to the area. As you said, I too did not smell anything funny from my 5 or so inspection visits to that area.

I also did notice school kids around that road, at around 2pm. Thanks for the reminder.

lived in clayton south all my life, and please note that clayton south is large in size and prices vary greatly ie. it starts at centre road and finishes at heatherton road. I would recommend you buy within 1km from clayton station, for ease of shops/station/transport etc

I am currently looking at more modern designed 3 bedroom homes so I guess townhouses appeal to me more. I have searched high and low for properties in clayton and surrounding suburbs and found that I was happy with this one for its fittings and budget.

But I'm getting mixed feedback regarding the smell from the Clayton South Landfill and it's really getting to me now.

I am currently looking at more modern designed 3 bedroom homes so I guess townhouses appeal to me more. I have searched high and low for properties in clayton and surrounding suburbs and found that I was happy with this one for its fittings and budget.

But I'm getting mixed feedback regarding the smell from the Clayton South Landfill and it's really getting to me now.

Sorry Melboy if i turned you off. The area you are looking at is little further away from the tip area as oppsed to where i live.Read the local paper article posted by cmason that will give you more information. It has only been bad for the last few months, however i have been living in the area for about 14 years and this is the worst it has ever been. The EPA is looking into it so i am not to concerned. If you do a search on house prices in Clayton & Clayton South you will see they have gone through the roof in the past 5-10 years. Again apologies for turning you off but i wouldnt worry about it. Maybe speak to the locals & get more opinions.

Sorry Melboy if i turned you off. The area you are looking at is little further away from the tip area as oppsed to where i live.Read the local paper article posted by cmason that will give you more information. It has only been bad for the last few months, however i have been living in the area for about 14 years and this is the worst it has ever been. The EPA is looking into it so i am not to concerned. If you do a search on house prices in Clayton & Clayton South you will see they have gone through the roof in the past 5-10 years. Again apologies for turning you off but i wouldnt worry about it. Maybe speak to the locals & get more opinions.

Not at all mate don't apologize I thank you for your helpful feedback. Thanks again for reassuring me that it's fine. I guess I'll go ahead with the property then. Cheers :D

Back