First home owner grant

I have an investment property. If i brought another property but used it as a residential property, what do I qualify for? Do i still qualify for the first home owner grant and the stamp duty concession?

How long do i have to live in it before i can rent it out if i choose to?

I'll have a shot an answering your question. Others correct me if I'm wrong.

I have an investment property. If i brought another property but used it as a residential property, what do I qualify for?

You will qualify for the first home owners grant if it is the first home you will be living in. I think since you have had an investment property only you will qualify.

Do i still qualify for the first home owner grant and the stamp duty concession?

I think this is only applicable if it is a brand new property.

How long do i have to live in it before i can rent it out if i choose to?

You have to start living in it within the first 12 months for a continuing period of at least 6 months.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Thats weird... i've gotten mixed answers from my accountant/friends/this forum. Where can i find information on this. Alot of people say i don't qualify for both. Some say one, not the other and now its both.

Thanks for that. So if i was to leverage the grant, i can move in for 6 months and after 6 months rent it out as an investment property for good? or do i need to move back in after a certain amount of time?

If you buy your first property with the intention of living in it for 6 months only to calaim the FHOG and then you will convert it to an IP, does the bank or financial institution care if you tell them this is your intention from the start?

Should you keep this from discussions with them?

Will they try to refinace the home loan as and investment home loan or it doesn't matter to them as long as you are paying your bill on time for the life of the loan?

Hiya

In general, the use of the property applies at the date of application, so PPOR is ok.

Some lenders do want to know once you rent the place out, in the past they used to charge a higher rate for IP loans than PPORs

ta
rolf

Some lenders do want to know once you rent the place out, in the past they used to charge a higher rate for IP loans than PPORs

I've noticed that when comparing loans some lenders still do charge a slightly different comparison rate between a regular home loan and an investment home loan. (i've seen .01% difference only) This could be due to a different loan establishment fee.

Am I legally required to inform them when my situation changes?

Under the terms of most mortgage backed loan contracts, YES you will have to notify them.

But its case by case, have a long and tall Campari and Soda or 4 and have a read of the contract

ta
rolf

Rolf's right- FHOG fine but no stamps, seeing as you've already purchased.

Purpose of loan is also the key here- no grants to those who say it's going to be an IP from the start, obviously! Most FHB's I'm dealing with atm are using the grant, living in for 6-12 mths then moving back in with lucky mum and dad to continue saving :D

Most FHB's I'm dealing with atm are using the grant, living in for 6-12 mths then moving back in with lucky mum and dad to continue saving :D

Interesting to see that virtually ALL the FHB Q's on this forum are about buying it as a PPOR and making it an IP in 6 months time. I wonder if the govt. anticipated this and sees it as a way of mitigating the rental crisis and rising rents environment?

Maybe this will cause a spike in the vacancy rate as more rentals become available to tenants in 6 months time?
Maybe as an investor it would be good time to start writing 12 month leases for your existing tenancies?

Purpose of loan is also the key here- no grants to those who say it's going to be an IP from the start, obviously! Most FHB's I'm dealing with atm are using the grant, living in for 6-12 mths then moving back in with lucky mum and dad to continue saving :D

Yes but am i under any obligations down the track to have to take it back and use it as my primary residency after the 6 months period. ie. say in 5 years time, can i still keep as investment property or do i have to earn my residency again by staying for another 6 months

Back