First house, what do I need?

Hi, seeing that I am going to move into my house... I am starting to make a list of what I will need. Please see if you can suggest anything else or give any tips on how to get get all these stuff. I plan to get them in stages esp for non essential stuff.

KITCHEN
=======
Fridge
Pots and Pans
Wok
Knife Set
Chopping Board
Cuttlery
Plates, Bowls
Cups / mugs
Glasses
Jug
Toaster
Microwave
Tea Towels
Can opener
Bottle opener (never had to use this actually)
Rubbish bin
Scissors

BEDROOM
======
Bed
(Already have my pillows, sheets, quilt)

LIVING ROOM
==========
Stereo
TV (never watch it)
Dining Table
Sofa / Couch
Cabinets, TV / Stereo

Misc
====
Washing Machine
Ironing Board
Iron
Vacuum Cleaner
Floor Mop, Broom
towels
Chairs, Stools, etc
Floor Mats
Lawn mower (low priority as I can borrow this for now)
Hose + fittings
Rubbish Bins
Toilet brush

Office
=====
Book shelves
Desks, Chairs

Last edited:
Crockery/Cutlery - some great stuff at low prices from the Salvo's or St Vinnies.

You probably find a decent couch, and TV cabinet if you look carefully enough (I am assuming you are looking for budget rather than "designer" stuff).

Cheers,

The Y-man

The Y-man said:
(I am assuming you are looking for budget rather than "designer" stuff).
Great idea Y-man, but knowing Muppie it'll be designer stuff, to go into the designer house. :)

Why not just head up to Ikea and have a look there, quick and easy to pick up a whole bunch of stuff at a reasonable price. http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_AU/virtual_catalogue/online_catalogues.html

I'm sure someone knows of a good cheap electrical wholesaler on the Gold Coast for all the big stuff.

Ruby :)

muppie said:
Hi, seeing that I am going to move into my house... I am starting to make a list of what I will need. Please see if you can suggest anything else or give any tips on how to get get all these stuff. I plan to get them in stages esp for non essential stuff.

Good idea. I agree with using op-shops. Also garage sales. And collection days! Or maybe relatives have spares?

The kitchen list is pretty good, except the phone number for 'dial a pizza' might be handy on your first day ;) Also can you manage without a kitchen table and rubbish bin?

Your bedroom though is pretty sparse; at least have a chest of drawers and a clock radio. I'm assuming the wardrobe is built in so is not necessary.

The living room may need some bookshelves and some form of table.

The office won't work without the most important thing - power! Get at least one power board (pref surge protected) and an extension lead. Also you can't assume there will be a phone there either. Note phone and internet sockets; these vary and may need adapters (and extension leads). You will be disoriented if you don't have a calendar on the wall somewhere.

For Misc, if you don't have circuit breakers, get some fuse wire. Ditto for spare light bulbs.

Peter

muppie said:

KITCHEN
=======
Fridge
Pots and Pans
Wok
Knife Set
Chopping Board
Cuttlery
Plates, Bowls
Cups / mugs
Glasses
Jug
Toaster
Microwave
Tea Towels

BEDROOM
======
Bed
(Already have my pillows, sheets, quilt)

LIVING ROOM
==========
Stereo
TV (never watch it)
Dining Table
Sofa / Couch
Cabinets, TV / Stereo

Misc
====
Washing Machine
Ironing Board
Iron
Vacuum Cleaner
Floor Mop, Broom
towels
Chairs, Stools, etc
Floor Mats

Office
=====
Book shelves
Desks, Chairs

Hi Mup :)
How about a clothes dryer? Or are you confident in getting no rain up there for a while?
I'd try Ebay if I were you- I just sold some furniture for a very sad price- I should have put higher reserves :(
You can pick up some great bargains there!
Happy shopping!!
Also try Freedom as well as Ikea. Nice, and not too pricey.

I'd say garage sales for smaller things; & there are huge saving to be made at auctions. My son picked up a brand new s/s microwave/convection oven for $350, with a 3 month warranty. I picked up a brand new dishwasher for him for $585. Some were still in the original cartons.

Decide on the make, style etc of what you want; set a price you are prepared to pay & go out & get it. The same model of an item can sell for $$$$$$ more if several people want it. Be patient it will pay big dividends.
The auction ads are usually in the Saturday papers.

happy hunting
blossomoz

Towels.
A sandwich toaster can be good.
Microwave utensils.
I assume you already have a computer.
If you have books, some shelves might help.
Cutlery may include a few bits and pieces. A corkscrew and bottle opener are absolutely essential.

You may like to get a hifi which also replays DVDs- there's a few bookshelf systems which do that. Just in case you succumb to a little TV.

Ah yes.

Food.

if you have a lawn, maybe a lawn mower and weed killers. oh something important, kill the weeds first before you mow your lawn the first time.

a hose to attach your external tap to..... for washing carports, verandahs etc. get a hose suitable to stetch at least the length of the house.

and for me, coffee!!!!!!!!

Thanks to your suggestions... I've added a few more things and though of some more. So many things to start out your own "life" eh....

Oh and I'm having a dog too... but that'll be another list :D

Muppie,

Dont forget you need a wife to clean the house & have your dinner & slippers ready for you upon arrival home from the office each night :eek: :)

Back