Being owned by things..

Simon said:
I cannot rave about owning a sailboat enough. Is exercise, gives kids (and adults) confidence in trying new stuff, see some great spots you wouldn't otherwise, shapes character, makes friends and is cheap!

If anyone ever wants to come for a sail with me on Lake Macquarie - just give me a call! An open invite to all.
Simon,

I know where you're coming from completely. As an adolescent I always used to go camping with my mates up at Myall Lakes where we'd sail our hobie cat and windsurfers all day. We also had a little dinghy that we'd take out and explore the lake. Of a night, we'd BBQ some stuff and drink some beers and play cheat at cards or with dice. We'd go fishin at dusk off the jetty down the end of the road, and look up at the myriad of stars trying to pick out the constellations.

Now that I'm all grown up ;) I want to buy a little 24 footer so I can take my boy out and explore Pittwater with him. We've looked at a couple lately, but Kay and I have agreed that its "IP#1 first!", so a little bit of the reward for our discipline and applying the delayed gratification approach.

When we finally get her then I'll look you up and maybe we can take them out for a weekend somewhere. She'll definately be setup to overnight, as that's the best bit I reckon...

Can't wait!, but IP first...

Cheers,
Michael.

Well said Dunc. There is a belief that the more expensive the kitchen, the less it is used.

When I was up north amongst coal miners last year, the status symbols were the latest accessorized 4wd, HSVs, home gyms (rarely used), home theatres (well used) and barbies (rarely used). Everyone wants a bigger thingamejig....makes up for a sense of not already feeling important enough I guess.

Meanwhile, I took in my car my little 20 year old backpacker's MSR 'any fuel' stove so I could do stir fries and a cuppa wherever I was. These things are just so cool and so practical. They take anything from petrol to metho to kero and probably cheap spirits to run, and they can do a mean stir fry. But compared to those big 6 gas burner barbies, I am an impotent and unimpressive weak excuse for an Aussie male.....

Some guys like big things. I get a kick out of little things. Things that have been designed with utilitarian simplicity foremost, and to be as inconspicuous as possible....when they are smaller, you don't feel as owned by them...

Last edited:
We got a DVD player a while back for attending an Accor sales presentation. Finally decided to open the box the other day to hook it up to telly - looked at back of DVD player - looked at back of telly - there appears to be nothing I can plug into...... :confused: Friend tells me I need to upgrade TV as it only has an aerial jack....... what the...... :p

Cheers,

The Y-man

Simon said:
Let me paint the picture. Imagine a group of internet baes people all owning 30+ year old trrailer sailers with an average cost price of $6000 and a sale value of $6000 ish. Pulled by my 95 VS Commodore.

We spent about $5 in fuel.

Slept in our boats, kids lit a fire on a sand spit and got filthy and did marshmallows and potatos in it. Next morning they played in a little dinghy all day and on a rope swing.
You've just described my childhood up to the age of 17yo. Dad started with a Griffin 16, then a Boomerang 20 and when I was 14 upgraded to a 40 foot steel ketch which now lives at the southern end of Lake Macquarie.

Memories are of hanging out with other kids, doing what we wanted to do on the beach, waterfall, in the water, dinghies etc. Our parents didn't worry, they knew we were safe. BBQs at the Basin were always fun, as was the 4 week trip to the Whitsundays (trailed the boat up there). I didn't realise how good we had it until I grew older. Mum and Dad weren't rich and it was a relatively cheap hobby once you purchased the boat.

asy said:
We've also noticed (have you?) that the ads seem VERY much louder than the shows they are interrupting... :(

asy :D

Not just seem louder asy....

I remember seeing an interview with a commercial tv executive. He was very indignant that anyone should suggest that they would actually turn up the volume....Thats illegal, he puffed.

He then went on to admit that they do fiddle with sound. They compress it, meaning they get more sound, less silence in an advert. They remove the quiet bits to make it more piercing, so it the customer gets the message, clearly. Whats wrong with that?, he asked.

Its not your imagination.

The Y-man said:
Friend tells me I need to upgrade TV as it only has an aerial jack....... what the...... :p

He's right; the TV has no A/V sockets. Most nature strip TVs don't have 'em, which must indicate that many must be ditched for that reason.

A way out is to use a video modulator to convert A/V into RF (often channel 0 or 1 but sometimes UHF). Or use a nature strip VCR to do the same thing.

Peter

thefirstbruce said:
Meanwhile, I took in my car my little 20 year old backpacker's MSR 'any fuel' stove so I could do stir fries and a cuppa wherever I was. These things are just so cool and so practical. They take anything from petrol to metho to kero and probably cheap spirits to run, and they can do a mean stir fry. But compared to those big 6 gas burner barbies, I am an impotent and unimpressive weak excuse for an Aussie male.....

Not only are you pathetic because of the size of your stove compared to a 6-burner-mega-BBQ, but you cook some wierdo ethnic food like stir-fry as well! :eek: :D :D :D

Hey Y-Man, If you've got a video deck, odds are it's got video/audio in.
The DVD player can go through that.

DVD Player on,
Video On
Tv on channel (whatever your video is)
Video on AV IN
Play DVD & enjoy.

Great thread dunc.
We have the same type of bbq as you, cooks a treat and converts to entertainment after.A friend of mine is totally embarrased by it .
We still go bush camping go crabbing on the river in a very old tinny.
It goes well we always get crabs and fish and we are always laughed at by those cruising by in their BiG Boats sipping chardonay
We have great fun we don,t have to pretend that we have $$$ to impress others.
Keep it simple, and its so much fun.

cheers yadreamin

Back