first international flight, nervous YEP!

***** then I've been pretty damn lucky 10 out 10 so far, never had a problem with luggage, except Customs staff in Australia wanting to go through it nearly every time.

BUT I will admit it would inconvenience and worry me no end.

Last edited:
Im a big fan of Air crash investigators and have just finished watching the reruns.

I'm a person who always needs to be in control especially driving and find
it hard not to be able to know about who is piloting the plane, how old they
are, how much experience, did they get a good night sleep before departure.

I'm positioned towards the rear next to the exit.

I second this :D

You will have a ball Craig.

I think around late september they have their annual fair (a bit like the Ekka in Brisbane but much smaller) Good for 9yr old as well. Hop on and serach for activities / program in town on the internet to see if on when you are there.

The chocolate shops were a buzz for the other half, and the place is fine to walk around and get lost in. (Before GFC anyway)

Take some asprin for the flight to thin your blood, and buy a good property book you haven't had time to read, and the time will fly.

Everything will be fine.

F

Considering you are a well traveled international man of mystery Goose, how about filling us in on the Czech sterilization policy of Romani's and showing some stats on pick pocketing hot spots and heroin addiction in Prague....that's if you got into the culture in any other way apart from drinking lots of cheap beer. Then fill us in on the risk of hepatitis and diarrhea, and the quality and cost of health care.
Again with the stats :rolleyes:, have you actually been there WW?
Do you live your life by "stats" and only make decisions once said stats have been consulted??
Have a look at the stats for heroin sales/use in melbourne, I'm sure they give prague a run for it's money.
Ok, I'm glad you have read up on the place in some medical journal and know all about it healthwise, but the OP said he was going for a short holiday, and that's it.
His other half is there so I'm sure she can show him where to go/not to go, no need to make him think he is being thrown to the wolves and shouldn't trust anyone who comes within cooee of him.

That's right Craig, all the pick pockets that can afford to live in Prague never stray from the train station :rolleyes:
It's more than just a station, it's a complex with lots of cafes, bars, seats etc for unsavoury types to just "hang around".
That was one of the only places I felt unsafe each time I've been there, and the locals also agree.

Again with the stats :rolleyes:, have you actually been there WW?

No Goose...never been there and no desire. but ask me how many people I know who've been there in the last 2 years.

And you formed your views on how many days there, and how long ago?

Do you live your life by "stats" and only make decisions once said stats have been consulted??

I aim to make financial decisions based on the most accurate picture of the macro and micro environment, as do many other investors here. It helps me quantify risk adjusted reward. But if my use of stats makes you feel inadequate about your investment decisions, put me on your ignore list.

Have a look at the stats for heroin sales/use in melbourne, I'm sure they give prague a run for it's money.

I bet they do.

Ok, I'm glad you have read up on the place in some medical journal and know all about it healthwise, but the OP said he was going for a short holiday, and that's it.

No, I haven't read up about it Goose. Hepatitis and Dysentery are just the two most common gotchas for international travelers, apart from STDs...as is the inability to get health care in a timely and professional manner outside major cities.....and as a caring father with a 9yo in his care, I am sure Craig is more interested in these things than getting hammered drinking lots of cheap beer.

His other half is there so I'm sure she can show him where to go/not to go, no need to make him think he is being thrown to the wolves and shouldn't trust anyone who comes within cooee of him.

yes well really no need to comment any further then is there.

It's more than just a station, it's a complex with lots of cafes, bars, seats etc for unsavoury types to just "hang around".
That was one of the only places I felt unsafe each time I've been there, and the locals also agree.

Craig, for a more comprehensive list of unsafe spots, check Lonely Planet guide and forums.

Lost my luggage once on the way to the Middle East. It went to Europe. It got on the wrong connecting flight in Hong Kong.

Just make sure that the first person checking you in knows where you're going to end up and understands all your connecting flights.

I've travelled in the US, Middle East, Europe & Asia. Been to some dodgy places in each of those areas. Never bothered with a money pouch, always done things the same way I do them here.

Never been mugged, harrassed or pick pocketed, although some people I've been with have within 20 metres of me. Just walk confidently and be aware of your surroundings. The bad guys will go after an easier target.

if you didn't want to catch the travel bug then you shouldn't have picked Prague!!

that's one place I have not been...so envious hehe

Have a great time!!

US airline stats say about 1 in 150 people get separated from their baggage.

Over ~15 return flights to the USA, with 3-4 connections each way, I was separated from my checked baggage at least 6 times. It is very common when one flight is late for connections.

i've done about 30 or more international connections over the past 8 years, mostly throughout SE Asia, and probably about 20 or so domestic flights.

I have only ever once had a problem with my baggage, and that was in the USA - my connection at LAX to come back to Sydney, bags missed the plane and were delivered the next day after i landed thankfully.

Hence, I would suggest that the old US and A is the problem when it comes to baggage.

Ive travelled OS a fair bit in my time and Prague is one of my favourite places in the world the beer in that city is true liquid gold and cheap well it was when i went there in the 90's. The city itself is fantastic to just wander around very jelouse.

I just got back from singapore and flew on the new A380 really liked this plane the seats are bigger and the plane is quieter.

EXCEPT it was my first flight with kids we have 10mth old twins and two people flying with twins is an experience i could do without. It was like trying to keep a litter of kittens in a basket, everytime you wanted to do something that required two hands you had to find someone to hold your allocated child

We were the last people getting on the flight on the way back due to a few unscheduled stops so got the glares from everyone as we boarded the plane 2 children, 3 bags 4 bottles of duty free gin clinking our way to our seats.

Pilots know their stuff. They are wonderful people. I am very close to one ;)

Tip: yes if you can get a seat up the back. Not due to safety reasons, more that people tend to use the toilets up the front more.

i actually recommend sitting over, or in front of the wing.
The noise difference is HUGE - you get 10 times the engine noise when sitting behind the engines.

Im not sure if this is such a problem on the new A380, ive heard many reports that they are whisper quiet inside, so that might not be such an issue.

EXCEPT it was my first flight with kids we have 10mth old twins and two people flying with twins is an experience i could do without. It was like trying to keep a litter of kittens in a basket, everytime you wanted to do something that required two hands you had to find someone to hold your allocated child

We were the last people getting on the flight on the way back due to a few unscheduled stops so got the glares from everyone as we boarded the plane 2 children, 3 bags 4 bottles of duty free gin clinking our way to our seats.

Ouch, but it is a really big peeve for me when I hop on flights and sit near screaming kids......especially babies.

I don't take too kindly to parents on a 12 hour flight when you just manage to get to sleep, and get woken up be a screaming kid.

I wouldn't travel with kids until they are around Craigs age (9)

I have been on over 40 internationals, and you always seem to be on with some screaming babies..................UUUGGGHHHHH:mad:

i actually recommend sitting over, or in front of the wing.
The noise difference is HUGE - you get 10 times the engine noise when sitting behind the engines.

Im not sure if this is such a problem on the new A380, ive heard many reports that they are whisper quiet inside, so that might not be such an issue.
I find the 380 too quiet.. you can hear peoples conversions and their earphones. It's easiler to sleep on noisier planes. This was such a problem for the pilots having their rest sleeps they now create "white noise" for them to sleep better. The best economy seats on the 380 are upstairs on the window, you get an armrest cupboard next to you making it seem like a business class seat.

last time I went to Prague a beer was 10 cents & there were no hotels, had to sleep with a local family, but that was 1990.

I usually travel overseas at least 6-7 times per year, for business. I've only had one problem with baggage... when I was returning to Australia on Finnair, and they had a baggage handlers strike. My suggestion would be to take a change of undies and socks for every flight change for you, and a full change of clothes for your 9 y/o.
I also love watching Air Crash Investigation... but my basic rule is not to start getting concerned until the hosties start panicking!
Have a great time!! It sounds like its going to be fabulous time.
Nothing to worry about... just make sure you have travel insurance, and they will look after anything which goes wrong.
cheers
Pen

Hence, I would suggest that the old US and A is the problem when it comes to baggage.

I agree... American air lines and airports are consistently bad in their service/ processes etc. I'd try to avoid travelling there as much as possible.

Pen

Going from Calgary to LA last year, landed in LAX, waiting for our luggage (refurbishment there meant everything came out on trolleys rather than belt). The customs guys still had their belts (and a big line up of bags to load after they go through the scanners). One guy took much joy in throwing the bags approx 3 feet above the belt, letting them crash back down, flexing his muscles in a show off way and then glaring at any nearby passengers. Very glad our bags weren't going through there, but also explains a lot of damage done over the years to our bags.

I'm going on my first overseas trip in November - going to Colombia via LA for a wedding.

Dreading the questions I'll get from the American customs when they see I'm going to Colombia for such a short trip (9 days).

When returning & going through Customs here, if they ask if you've been to farming or rural areas, tell them 'yes'!

We bypassed everyone else waiting, our bags were checked & we were through in minutes. :)

Back