First investment property 2013

Hi
I am ready financially to purchase my investment property, but lack the education and skills to confidently take the first step.

I have been recommended the Dymphnia Boholt course as a good all rounder start off point, what are your thoughts?

Hi Amber,

Good luck with your journey! Somersoft is a great free resource to help.

site:somersoft.com/forums dymphna boholt
typed into google, or a search on here for those words will provide you with plenty of reading material.

Hi Andrew
Thank you, I have done lots of reading, but am truly in analysis, paralysis stage.

I am torn between doing a structured course and coughing up $5000 or using that money with the money I have saved and just jumping in with the little I know!

Do any investors see a property advisor to do the big picture planning for them for the next 40 years or is that overkill?

Hey Amber,

I'm quite new to this forum as well and instead of spending 5K on a course I would recommend you to read some books first.

I'm currently reading books from Margaret Lomas and I'm really enjoying all her material.

Try your local library or buy some books.

Good luck.

Hi there Amber
it is interesting that you talk about seeing a property advisor - I think most people would appreciate having a mentor who could talk them through the ins and outs of property
when you talk about the big picture - I do think you need to consider your long term goals
Myself and my husband are probably at a further end down the track - we are now considering "what next" given the retirement age is not that far away
As for courses, I have done them and suggest if you want to do a course - look to see if you can find a 2nd hand course available on ebay or do as has been suggested - review some of the reading material at the library and of course read the information on Somersoft - tis very helpful indeed

Welcome.

Id suggest visiting your local library first, and or spending some time on here and get an idea on what you want to get out of a potential course, ie. what dont you know? At the moment, you know you dont know much, which is a great place to start. Before jumping into a paid course, Id do enough research that you know what it is that you dont know. ie, you know what structure to buy in, what sort of properties (cashflow positive, negative etc).

Another good place to start is the regular meet ups somersoft people do face to face....

In terms of current market updates combined with education I think the property resource shop is excellent.

http://propertyresourceshop.com/

It's $297 for the year and you get to watch all of the Brisbane and coast meetings which are recorded to video/audio. Not free but I would say if you are looking to build a knowledge base it would be money very well spent.

Back