fixed rates - exit fees

how much generally does it cost to get out of a fixed rate home loan?

does it go on how much you borrowed?

etc 300k loan, 500k loan?'

i'm only after ball park figures.

Generally depends on the rate, remaining term and loan amount. Your lender will give you a payout figure over the phone - they are the only ones that can give you an answer.

Cheers

Jamie

this is just a scenario i'm trying to figure out, i don't actually have fixed rates.

loan 1. 500k owing 5.3% p.a fixed for 3 years starting from today

loan 2. 130k similar interest rate fixed 3 years from today

how much would the exit fees roughly cost?

this is just a scenario i'm trying to figure out, i don't actually have fixed rates.

it depends on difference in the wholesale cost of funding at the time of (a) taking the loan and (b) breaking it, multiplied by the numbers of years left in the term.

in other words, no one knows until it happens.

my guess is 19 k

ta

rolf

This sounds like some kind of trick question.

line one you state you don't have fixed yet line 2 and 3 state that the rates are fixed.

I hate customer service jobs for this reason. I'd rather be a copper and bash the truth out of someone lol

This sounds like some kind of trick question.

line one you state you don't have fixed yet line 2 and 3 state that the rates are fixed.

I hate customer service jobs for this reason. I'd rather be a copper and bash the truth out of someone lol

its a scenario :)

Generally depends on the rate, remaining term and loan amount. Your lender will give you a payout figure over the phone - they are the only ones that can give you an answer.

Cheers

Jamie

have you had any experiences in the past with exit fees jamie? i'm just trying to get an idea of what i'd be looking at if had to brake a fixed rate

Really rough .....Loan amount x (fixed rate - current fixed rate same period + 1%) x term remaining.

Eg $500k x 1.3% x 3 yrs = $19,500.

That is probably overstating it but basically loan amount multiplied by the change in wholesale fixed rates (banks cost of funds) plus the banks profit margin forgone multiplied by term remaining.

Really rough .....Loan amount x (fixed rate - current fixed rate same period + 1%) x term remaining.

Eg $500k x 1.3% x 3 yrs = $19,500.

That is probably overstating it but basically loan amount multiplied by the change in wholesale fixed rates (banks cost of funds) plus the banks profit margin forgone multiplied by term remaining.

that's strange . . . in most fixed rate terms and conditions i've read the bank don't add the profit margin.

and where did you get the 0.3% from?

Not strange. The profit margin is built into their cost of funds. This is why there is a break cost.

0.3% rough difference between 5.30% in example and average 3 year fixed rate now in the market. Yes I know there are loads cheaper. Example only.

Back