Fixing waterproofing - strata or owner cost/responsibility?

I inspected one of my IPs last week and the tenants informed me that there is hole in the ceiling downstairs that flows water when they have a shower directly above, so they don't use that shower anymore.

I asked the strata to organise for a plumber to have a look at it. His response is that the wall tiles need regrouting and the shower head be replaced so the water does touch the walls tiles and that would solve the issue. Speaking to my tiler and cabinetmaker they've both said it sounds like a waterproofing problem and that regrouting won't stop the leaking.

If waterproofing is the problem, is that strata's responsibility to fix or does it fall within an owner's scope? Not sure if it makes any difference but the wall in question is a common wall shared with the next door townhouse.

Thanks in advance.

I inspected one of my IPs last week and the tenants informed me that there is hole in the ceiling downstairs that flows water when they have a shower directly above, so they don't use that shower anymore.

I asked the strata to organise for a plumber to have a look at it. His response is that the wall tiles need regrouting and the shower head be replaced so the water does touch the walls tiles and that would solve the issue. Speaking to my tiler and cabinetmaker they've both said it sounds like a waterproofing problem and that regrouting won't stop the leaking.

If waterproofing is the problem, is that strata's responsibility to fix or does it fall within an owner's scope? Not sure if it makes any difference but the wall in question is a common wall shared with the next door townhouse.

Thanks in advance.

We had the similar problem...Group of 8 duplexes. After a heavy downpour we'd often get water getting into a lower ground floor family room. Obviously a drainage or waterproofing failure issue . We were told that it's our problem unless its a common wall in which case its for us to sort out with the neighbour. We could fight it but no guarantee of success. Now looking at a cost of somerwhere between $10 and $30k to fix. A common theme from plumbers I've spoken to is that waterproofing and water inundation is a fairly common issue these days with cheap products and short cuts taken to comply with pretty **** weak waterproofing requirements. One chap who came around to look at my problem said this was the 10th case he had inspected that week.

Thanks in advance.

You can try the strata's building insurance - assuming building insurance is covered by them. May / may not be covered depending on the type of policy.

The Y-man

It's always been my understanding that the owner owns the air in the rooms and the body corp/strata is responsible for the walls/building etc. I'd be double checking with dept of fair trading or equivalent state body before putting your hand in your pocket, ... that's why you pay annual body corp fees. The strata company should have insurance, so let them follow it through.

Mystery

Back