Flat pack kitchens

So I got my tax return, and we're off to buy ourselves a kitchen on teh intarwebs. Nothing fancy, basically just looking to run a 2400 long bench down one wall because we can't think of a better layout.

According to their website, Bunnings Flatpax runs to $1300 for the bench and cupboards/drawers.

DIY kitchens runs to $1200 for that bench plus another 1000 long one to stick in an odd corner, and they do ANY colour not just the 4 that bunnings has. No handles included, colour melamine doors, says it has blum hinges and runners.

Anyone got comments on either of those two, or any other flatpack kitchen places, preferably in Adelaide? I need to get this freighted out to the middle of nowhere so I can see DIY kitchens runninng up a nasty freight bill as I'm probably going to have to get it freighted to Broken Hill or Adelaide and then to the IP.

elf your a clever girl see if you can go local, and get a kitchen builder to cut one up, and supply the f/pack ie you pick up and offer the cash to him/her.assemble it your self at home, use your charm you have plenty!

The local place wanted $1800 for about a metre of benchtop, flatpack, white melamine, overheads (and that was the display model on special). I didn't ask the local cabinetmaker since if that is the flatpack price I'm not sure I want to know what custom costs. So, no way in hell I'm going local.

sorry !just a thought, there is a chinese importer here in canberra , they call themselves A1 auctions, they have pre built modules price?, availability? hav'nt used them b4 but i see heaps of people buying, perhaps others have seen similar, and can add to this comment to help?

i remember brenda irwin highly recommending www.kitcheninabox.com.au

i did look on their website when we were going to redo the ppor kitchen (now on hold) and they were the best value for money (ie, cheapest for product) but were limited in choices.

the second cheapest was www.redikitsolutions.com.au and they had more variety. these mob also work thru "mr ply and wood" stores and i remember their installation costs were pretty cheap.

see if you can google a design website (google: kitchen design and heaps of free ones come up) - i remember a european one that was very expensive to purchase, but their "design" function was great to give you a 3d, walk around, view of the kitchen - then you buy it thru the cheaper guys.

have fun with the grid paper!

Whee, more links!

There's a lot of discussion threads in this forum about the flatpax kitchens and Ikea but not about the other ones! Freight will be my single biggest component. There's no kitchen places out here so I've just ordered the various colour chips from Formica direct, they post them out free.

The kitchen is HUGE but the layout is awkward. It is 5x4.8m but has a really big fireplace, two awkwardly placed windows, and a chopped-out corner for the door. The oven (ok, cable with electrical tape around it) is currently opposite the sink (ok, cupboard door cut through the wall with pipes going through it) - so that's a solid 4m walk away from the sink, and you have to go around where you'd put the table. So we're just putting the fridge, oven and sink all in a straight line on the shortest wall, adds up to 4m and is dead simple - came to that conclusion with that grid paper :D Can't do overheads though, it goes really low on that side.

Edit: kitcheninabox comes to within a dollar or two of Flatpax. Hmmmm ....

Last edited:
I would be trying freight companies who normally deliver goods to your area and are willing to add yours on the back. What about furniture removers, does anyone ever shift into your area? Try backloading companies as well, and I've heard rail freight is particularly cheap for country.

I did start this thread to try and get a comparison of the quality between DIYkitchens and bunnings .... since DIYkitchens is the cheapest of any I've looked at by a HUGE margin. I can't remember who here recommended them on some other kitchen thread, but whoever it was, thanks! :D

There's a removalist company who backhauls from Adelaide to Broken Hill and the IP is a little off their route but they still go there, the freight quote I got from DIYkitchens was only to Adelaide (they are in Sydney) and I'm still waiting for one from Sydney to BH. Also still waiting on a plumber, some quotes for house ties and the local council to get back to me on subdivision hoo-hah. Waiting waiting waiting waiting .... story of my life these days, and one of the downsides of living rural. Many phonecalls to make on Monday methinks.

Hi there i just stumbled on yr post and thought id ask have you tried adkins hardware and building supplies?80883222
I just did a basix kitchen from them and it
was quite easy and cheap ,but yl need to allow 4 weeks for the benchtop.
(by the way the benchtops come cut ready to join with joiners on the right/left angle and are cheaper than bunnings a s you dont need to get the angles cut etc..
kind regards

We shopped around for ages for a flat pack kitchen. In the end we went for one through Mr Ply & Wood, we used the Hornsby depot and they were fantastic. The problem with <ikea and many of the others was that we were limited to the standard carcase sizes.

Mr Ply & Wood will customise things for a small additional fee. They delivered to our door and I'm sure they could handle interstate delivery. The way they packaged everything was amazing, it was all encased in 16mm MDF, I'm still using the packaging material for odd jobs.

They work in with the Laminex company who do all carcases, we went for high gloss polyurethane and the finish was the best we could find.

A company called CAA kitchens in Adelaide apparently sells very cheap but nice kitchens.

Not sure if it was Pushka that knew about this co. but do a search for more information because they have been discussed here on SS.

Oooh, old thread.

Turns out we kept forgetting to add in the 'ends' of the benches in the flatpack quotes, which adds some obscene amount to the price. Why the hell a bit of coloured stuff on the ends costs more than a cabinet carcass is beyond me. Then bare mimimum of $500 delivery (with half the Bunnings stores saying they don't deliver and the other half saying they do). Flatpack from anywhere ended up close to $3000.

We went a custom kitchen from a local builder in the end, with nice upgraded fronts (matchboard look) for about $4500. Looks lovely. Still haven't taken a photo - never seem to have all the dishes clean at once :D

haha - we just spent today putting together the carcasses for our new kitchen ... hubby put together the first cupboard and i just copied what he did.

more fool me.

turned out, he'd put the bottom panel on upside down - so that the holes for putting the legs on were "inside" the cupboard.

i had to take them all apart (not an easy task) and redo them. bugger.

but (YAY) everything fits.

glad yours turned out well, elf. nothing like a good kitchen to make the home.

See, you just gave the reason why we got a builder to do ours! Judging by all the swearing about our walls not being vertical and the corner not being square it was the right call.

We had a window that was oh-so-slightly in the wrong spot too, they did the benches so they sat just under the windowsill. The standard flatpack ones would have gone over the sill by a little and it would have looked odd. And they put in a fancy corner door doodat where we would have just left an empty space for the bin or something.

Oh, and the cabinetmaker is actually one of the builder's sons (the two sons also came to rip up our old floors) so there was strapping young, fit, 20something eye-candy to look at while it was being installed ;)

Back