Flight-path maps

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find a (much) higher resolution version of this map? Or more specifically, one that focuses on the inner suburbs, showing suburb names.

Page20.jpg

I have written to the Department of Infrastructure (where that image is hosted), so I'll see if they reply.

Thanks,
Ian

p.s. It's really annoying how small words like 'map' can't be searched for on this forum.

Hi Ian

Are you looking at the new parallel Brisbane runway? If so then from

http://www.newparallelrunway.com.au/files/pdf/flightpath.pdf

2. Transparent Noise Information
Package (TNIP)
TNIP is a software application for your computer that
provides access to aircraft noise information related
to the NPR project. Available free of charge on
CD-ROM, TNIP is preloaded with all the data from
which the flight paths and N70 contours that appear
in the Draft EIS/MDP and in this booklet have
been drawn. Once the files are loaded, the user is
presented with a screen showing Brisbane Airport
and surrounding suburbs and a number of drop-down
menus. By selecting from the menus either individually,
or in groups, components such as N70 contours are
generated over the map.
For more information on TNIP, we recommend
you visit:
www.dotars.gov.au/aviation/environmental/
transparent_noise/tnip.aspx

How to obtain this free information:

Freecall the New Parallel Runway Information Line on
1800 737 075

Email: [email protected]

Reply Paid Post: PO Box 1441, Milton BC Qld 4064
(no stamp required)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Shane

I was actually just referring to the current runway but thanks.

In Google maps, I drew a thin line from one end of the runway to the other, then extended that line right across to the other side of Brisbane at the same angle. Well it so happens that my PPOR is directly under this thin line.

No wonder we hear 30+ planes some days, even on the other side of Brissy :/

I don't want to make the same mistake for future purchases. And on that note, I'd love to get detailed maps for Sydney and Melbourne flight-paths too.

Edit: On page 2 of that PDF you linked to plusnq, it says To City. I feel like it should say To Ian's House.

Hi Ian

I noticed that the noise area seemed to wider as time progressed. Those new planes must be huge! I don't know how that will fit in with peak oil. Maybe they'll be solar powered by then :D

By 2035 the noise zone will extend to my house. We already wave to the pilots and passengers as they go past. I must remember to sell or move by 2035.

Cheers

Shane

What's funny is that one of the best places to avoid aircraft noise is smack bang in the middle of the CBD.

Yeronga and St Lucia look nice and quiet on that first map I posted above too...

Not precisely what you're after, but at the Airservices website you can download and view the instrument approach and departure procedures for any airport, along with the many pages of noise abatement procedures: http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/current/dap/AeroProcChartsTOC.htm That direct link may not work, as you have to click an agree button to get there, but basically you're looking for "Flying Guides and Publications", then "AIP (Aeronautical Information Package)", then the agree thing, then "Departure and Approach Procedures (DAP)", then "Aerodrome and Procedure Charts".

Note that not all SID (departure) and STAR (arrival) plates are to scale, and that 1 nautical mile (nm) equals about 2 km.

Most aircraft descend at 300 feet per nautical mile (ie 50 meters per km), and climb a little bit steeper.

Last edited:
Need urgent advice on flight path/sydenham/st peters!

Hi all!

I face a dilemna. Today (after months of searching) I found my dream home. A three storey, gorgeous Victorian terrace set on a large block with two big bedrooms, a huge garden, modern finish but all period features retained. It even has two stunning original fireplaces! And a balcony off the main bedroom-with french doors for petes sake!

Even more amazing? I can afford it!

It is a nice street, but ..... its right on the Sydenham/St Peters border- so under the flight path.

Personally, I think I can live with the noise- Ive lived on main roads before etc.

But- Im a first home buyer, so I need advice.

From an investment perspective...long term- will it be a bad move to buy under the flight path?

Does anyone know anything about this issue? Any airport news I should know? What is your opinion on a stunning home, under a flight path?

Do I grin and bare it- and simply be thrilled that I have found and can afford such a beautiful property? Or should I be deterred by its location?

The street, as I said- its pleasant, even tranquil most of the time. But the planes do ride low and they are pretty frequent.

Im in a state of flux! And the auction is this Wednesday!!!

HELP!

Thanks

Just remember flight paths can change.

When we moved into our PPOR 30 years ago we were pretty much under the flight path. It was not a problem as we are about 20 km from the airport, so noise was not an issue. Every time we flew south we could see our house (in the days before Google Earth, this was pretty exciting).

Things changed about 15 years ago and now we rarely SEE planes at all, and then they are in the distance. On very rare occasions one will go overhead.
Marg

We sold our "dream house" on a hill at Balmoral twelve years ago, just before the parallel runway issue blew up (we had advance notice). Our house was under the landing path and we sometimes could smell the dumped fuel and see the rivets on the planes, but it was no bigger an issue than many inner eastern suburbs, and didn't ever bother us. We certainly didn't have planes overhead all day, every day, but they were part of life in that suburb.

However, the parallel runway will mean more than double the traffic and we thought rather than spend $200K renovating our home, we moved. We still have planes overhead but not a problem, and the flight paths seem to vary a bit so it is not an "issue".

My reason for posting this, is that we thought values in Balmoral would be affected, so we thought we would get out before prices plummeted. Of course, as soon as we moved, prices went through the roof :D.

We were a bit peeved, but it didn't really bother us because we went on to bigger and better things, and we ditched our PPOR mortgage completely for a while, but Balmoral (and Ascot on the other side of the river and under the flight path as well) do not appear to have suffered from any price drops due to being under the flight path.

I think it very much depends on what else the area has to offer, and Ascot and Balmoral have a very trendy, expensive lifestyle that people aspire to, so a bit of plane noise is not going to put off the "latte" set (my opinion anyway).

Depends on how close you are to the airport or how low the planes are in relation to your house.

As the crow flies I'm 1k from the airport, the MAIN flight path is 2 streets away out my back door, I see them coming in to land. Just your average virgin blue jetstar etc, not sure what sort of plane they are. :confused: They don't bother me as far as that goes, I actually like them ... BUT

When the wind blows southerly occassionally, they take off OVER my house, this is worrysome. I also have little planes flying over low, they p*ss me off, they are the noisy buggers, and they take 10 minutes to go from one side of the sky to the other!!

My main whine though is..... I have never suffered so bad from hay fever ANYWHERE else I have lived, I have put this down to the planes stirring up the atmosphere. So much so, I intend moving in the next couple of years, not living here forever when I sneeze constantly some days and have to take pills!! My daughter never had hay fever till we moved here!! :eek:

Something I didn't realise also is planes drop some sort of greasy blobs when you are under the flight path, not sure what it is but I have it regularly splatting on my driveway and exposed areas. had me going for a long time wondering where it had come from, till the penny dropped. This goo doesn't come off easily but does wear off over time, but then you get another lot, so it's a never ending splatt fest!!

riggs78, we've been looking at houses in the sydenham/st peters area too. Unfortunately when I shrieked every time a plane flew overhead - hubby & I realised that it takes a lot of adjusting to live in a flight path area. Planes fly directly overhead in Sydenham, and have you seen it on a cloudy day? (where planes fly even lower when landing to avoid the clouds?)

I've asked the forums the same question you're asking now. It's your choice. Ultimately hubby & I decided against it - the airport is only going to expand and resale values of our (potential) house, if in Sydenham, will be affected.

Tess85, I can tell you straight up that planes do not fly lower on cloudy days. You just think it's lower because you have something to compare their height against. Aircraft follow very well defined approach procedures to large airports, and descending below profile is not allowed due to airspace and height restriction reasons.

Also, Wylie, aircraft do not routinely 'dump fuel' as it is too expensive. What you were probably smelling was just the aroma of burned Jet-A1 aviation turbine fuel. The only times jets actually dump fuel is if they have a major problem on takeoff which precludes continuing to the destination and they happen to be over maximum landing weight, and even then they have very stringent procedures to follow, and restrictions on where and how high they have to be to dump fuel to ensure it evaporates in the air.

And to all the people that complain about flight paths moving, thank the people that buy houses below flight paths and then lobby their local members to move the flight paths to 'noise-share'.

Tess85, I can tell you straight up that planes do not fly lower on cloudy days. You just think it's lower because you have something to compare their height against. Aircraft follow very well defined approach procedures to large airports, and descending below profile is not allowed due to airspace and height restriction reasons.

I believe that on cloudy days aircraft land on instruments, and we certainly seem to get more planes on those days.

Also, Wylie, aircraft do not routinely 'dump fuel' as it is too expensive. What you were probably smelling was just the aroma of burned Jet-A1 aviation turbine fuel.

Whatever it is, the smell was very strong and our house got much dirtier with a fine grit that had to be cleaned more often.

And to all the people that complain about flight paths moving, thank the people that buy houses below flight paths and then lobby their local members to move the flight paths to 'noise-share'.

This has been happening for years. Back when we lived at Balmoral there was a number we called when the planes were getting too much and they did indeed "share the noise".

I believe that on cloudy days aircraft land on instruments, and we certainly seem to get more planes on those days.

Finn is correct in saying aircraft do not fly lower on cloudy days however they may follow different routes when instrument approaches are required. If the weather is bad enough, they can pretty well ignore noise abatement altogether.

Also, transport aircraft pilots almost always fly "on instruments".

Back