Floor covering for study with wheeled chair?

Anyone have thoughts on best choice for a new floor covering for a study?

- concerned about the wear and tear from a wheeled office chair - either it might wear out a patch in a carpet or scratch a section of a wooden floor. Don't really like the look of those clear plastic protective mats. Thinking about either bamboo floating floor or some kind of tough (sisal?) carpet

Any suggestions/ experiences appreciated

We had one of those plastic mats, but every time the chair rolled off and onto the wooden floor, it did indeed scratch the floor. Just wanted to say we now have an outline of a plastic protector mat on our wooden floor surrounded by scratches!

I'd be interested in knowing what you go for.

You are putting the entire weight of the person onto 6 x 30 mm x 10 mm castors (the area in contact with the ground) - without an 'ugly' plastic mat the carpet/sisal will wear substantially, the carpet will stretch and the underlay will flatten. It is it a timber/bamboo floor, you will get wear patterns & scratching.

Unless you want to go to the expense of putting down Interface carpet tiles, the ugly plastic mat is a design sacrifice that you might have to make.

If you like the look of timber without the scratching, vinyl plank can be good - about $50/sqm for a good one and they come with a 10 yr warranty. Great for IPs if you hate tiles :)

Bamboo is supposed to be hard wearing but everyone I know who has it hates it. Scratches everywhere.

I picked a tight weave carpet at a local place and got them to make a mat out of it by hemming it.
Went with 2m x1.5m which they got out of a scrap piece.
Underneath is the vinyl planks. So far its holding up well.

Back