Food costs

Hi All,

Under what circumstances could the costs of food for property investors become a depreciable item?

Glenn

Don't know if many foodstuffs last long enough to be depreciated!!!!

But if you meant "deductible", I would think only if you're catering for your tenants. eg If you run a B&B, or serviced apartments (tea, coffee, milk etc would be deductible).

Can't wait to see what creative ideas others come up with! :rolleyes:

Don't know if many foodstuffs last long enough to be depreciated!!!!

But if you meant "deductible", I would think only if you're catering for your tenants. eg If you run a B&B, or serviced apartments (tea, coffee, milk etc would be deductible).

Can't wait to see what creative ideas others come up with! :rolleyes:

ozperp...you caught me out...yes, the term should have been "deductable"

Thanks

Glenn

If you ran a fast food business (say, a Subway) then you could deduct the costs of takeaways from other Subways, or even other establishements, as research. You would need to back up your claims by making a diary of where it was, and what you learnt from that establishment.

Having said that- I have not claimed anything in the three years I've been in the business.

1. If I'm local, I don't need to buy something I can get for free
2. If I'm not local, well, it happens so seldom that I don't really think it's worth putting in that much extra effort- and the $$ are minimal
3. I don't want to buy a rival product when I'm going to and from work in a Subway uniform (and that does include trips to Sydney for Subway purposes).
4. I still really enjoy my own product.

Hi All,

Under what circumstances could the costs of food for property investors become a depreciable item?

Glenn
Possibly if you went to visit an interstate IP, you may be able to claim the cost of meals.

Don't know this to be fact and personally I wouldn't bother.

Regards
Marty

Possibly if you went to visit an interstate IP, you may be able to claim the cost of meals.

Don't know this to be fact and personally I wouldn't bother.
Actually, if you were operating through a trust or company, and the company sent you interstate, I believe there are circumstances where you can claim (or get paid from the company?) meal allowances and accommodation allowances. You don't have to prove the expenses- there is a per diem rate which varies according to the city you are staying. You could, claim a lot in this way.

We used to have contractors who came to Canberra Monday to Friday, and went home to Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane on the weekends. They saved very significant mounts in tax.

Back