Football clubs ...

The main thing I wasn't keen on was the duration of the Contract , Though the implication is he's not getting much in the last years and with inflation thrown in he might be a cheap player at the end . The reality is he is a good player , but was playing with the same team for ? nine years , so every one takes a while to adjust , but they do look top heavy .

Time will tell.

I'm just hoping there was no problem with rhino and buddy which was the suggestion. He typifies the swans. Given his season last year , now to be dropped to the reserves .....

Cliff

Yes, is the Rhino issue a symptom of the death of the blood culture?

Buddy is a good player but is he a great player? Hawthorn so far has no issues without him. In a pinch, with a game to win, give me Goodey or Buddy any day. But I guess this is Goodes last year, win or not and we may need a gap filled.

Peter

That AFL has a high aerobic fitness requirement and increasing his has helped his rugby game.

He most certainly hasn't retained the training regimen of his AFL days and consequently will have reverted to a fitness and power level beneficial to his chosen sport.

The thing that has improved perceptions of his quality is the fact he is playing Rugby rather than his natural Rugby League. He doesn't run into outside backs who can tackle now.;)

His sojourn to AFL improved only one thing, his bank balance.

Score this weekend

Cliff's club's 2 - the opposition 1

Sydney FC went down and out . great game, entertaining , and the reality is either team could have won . The advantage of going out at this stage is that without a top 4 finish Frank Farina doesn't automatically keep his job, so that leave the role open for Arnie if he wants to take on the challenge. Fingers crossed he takes it.

There are two teams in the EPL who have now won their last five games . Liverpool , the leaders and you guessed it
Crystal Palace !!!!! Gradually creeping up the ladder . Beating one of thei Mid Table rivals West ham 1-0 with Australia's Captain , Mile Jedinak ( also Palaces Captain ) scoring from the penalty spot .

The swans got their act back together beating Freo and Buddy scored four goals , starting to look like he belongs in the team . Rhino ?? what's happening their . Was a non playing emergency in the reserves ....

The swans have always gone out of their way to let the aging champions chose their timing of leaving , but with so much young talent coming through , one wonders whether they are changing their attitude . Rhino did try to trade back to Melbourne several years ago , but no one would come to the party with worthwhile compensation . One wonders if he wants to go to melb for a couple of final years . Maybe to link up with Paul Roos . I can't see him happy sitting out the season in the reserves . I think he will bounce back . He is the ultimate fitness freak . A couple of injuries in the midfield and he'll be back and once he's back he'll be hard to drop. You don't go from best on ground in a winning grand final to reserve player in two years.

mmm.

Interestingly Mumford , the main loss for getting Buddy is currently the top ranked player in the AFL . I have my doubts whether he would have stayed with the swans anyway as in the past he has chased money instead of staying with a successful club and chased after money . Going out at that stage he comes out as the aggrieved party .

Cliff

Palace have done the unthinkable, at the bottom of the table at Christmas, and all but relegated and now up almost 10 places to mid table with 5 wins in a row. I think this gives Jedinak the captaincy of the Socceroos for the World Cup and hopefully leads them out of the group stage.

I didn't know all that history on Muscat, but always thought he was the dirtiest player in Australia. Always laugh when he complains to the 4th official when Victory are fowled. Can wait til next Sunday when they come to Brisbane. Then hopefully a win and another grand final at home with the great atmosphere of the Western Sydney supporters.

Also can clearly see the name soccer is slowly being replaced by Football. Will take a generation or two but will happen. With a World Cup and the Asian cup coming up this will help our cause.

Palace have done the unthinkable, at the bottom of the table at Christmas, and all but relegated and now up almost 10 places to mid table with 5 wins in a row. I think this gives Jedinak the captaincy of the Socceroos for the World Cup and hopefully leads them out of the group stage.

I think he's the only Aussie playing consistently at the top level , I think , so he's a shoe in as captain. Very solid central defensive midfielder . Not the fastest person on the park , but rarely gets beating . Has good timing but a very good distributor.

I didn't know all that history on Muscat, but always thought he was the dirtiest player in Australia. Always laugh when he complains to the 4th official when Victory are fowled.

He WAS actually a very good player , but didn't know when to stop in terms of challenging and often went through with tackles that he should have pulled out of ..

Can't wait til next Sunday when they come to Brisbane. Then hopefully a win and another grand final at home with the great atmosphere of the Western Sydney supporters.

Brisbane are looking good. Western Sydney , not quite as good as last year. I was really hoping for FC to be playing the wanderers at ANZ in a final next year. I reckon they would have filled it and the atmosphere would have been magic ... next year maybe .

Also can clearly see the name soccer is slowly being replaced by Football. Will take a generation or two but will happen. With a World Cup and the Asian cup coming up this will help our cause.

What's Soccer ... :eek: this is a football thread :)

I'm just hoping we do well in the Asian Cup . Need to win that ...

Worls Cup . that's a hard group . If we get out of the group stage it will be amazing . TO be honest I think we're about two years off being competitive at the world cup . Four years time :) There's some really good players coming through . I'd love to see players like Adam Taggett , Aaron Moy , Rogic , etc playing in the top levels in Europe on a regular basis . I thing there's a core of 20 -30 players in their early 20's who are capable of doing that and then we will be competitive at the world cup level . The group going into their late 20's haven't reached the level of the " golden Generation " and the only ones from that group who can really add something at the current cup , are Bresciano , Timmy and Jesus

Cliff

Score this weekend

The swans got their act back together beating Freo and Buddy scored four goals , starting to look like he belongs in the team . Rhino ?? what's happening their . Was a non playing emergency in the reserves ....

The swans have always gone out of their way to let the aging champions chose their timing of leaving , but with so much young talent coming through , one wonders whether they are changing their attitude . Rhino did try to trade back to Melbourne several years ago , but no one would come to the party with worthwhile compensation . One wonders if he wants to go to melb for a couple of final years . Maybe to link up with Paul Roos . I can't see him happy sitting out the season in the reserves . I think he will bounce back . He is the ultimate fitness freak . A couple of injuries in the midfield and he'll be back and once he's back he'll be hard to drop. You don't go from best on ground in a winning grand final to reserve player in two years.

Cliff

Yes they did. Watched last quarter and it was the old swans again. Lets hope the start was buddy being fitted in . Good to see Jetta back at it.

Ryan should go to Melb. No shame to leave like that. Passing on his knowledge. And yes, I notices so many new players I have never seen, hard to stay in and they have to make room for Goodes.

Score this weekend

Interestingly Mumford , the main loss for getting Buddy is currently the top ranked player in the AFL . I have my doubts whether he would have stayed with the swans anyway as in the past he has chased money instead of staying with a successful club and chased after money . Going out at that stage he comes out as the aggrieved party .

Cliff

Mummy is a classic case of after having been told at Sydney "not required" he has applied himself at a level he would not have at Sydney. Good on him Great to see GWS on track. As long as pike stays fit we can cover him.

LRT and Tippet can ruck and even Goodes if it is is his last season why not risk the knee. Goodes in the ruck and centre is a scary proposition for the other teams. Ruck and rover in one!

Peter

Only just found this thread, but I'll take the opportunity to chime in seeing as I'm a Liverpool supporter :D

It's been a tough few years, and I'm just too used to us winning the tough games and then losing to the teams we should beat, that I don't want to believe we might actually win the league. Not until the full time whistle on the final day. As the only club in the EPL with an Aussie starting regularly, I have a soft spot for Palace. I look forward to the doing us a favour and taking points from Man City.

2014 has been a great year, because I also happen to be a Brisbane Roar season member. In my mind the Premiership is the big one, but it'd still be a disappointing end to the season if we don't win the Championship as well. Starting with knocking out Melbourne Victory this Sunday.

Have any of you been following the news/qualifying for the FFA Cup which starts later this year?

Have any of you been following the news/qualifying for the FFA Cup which starts later this year?

It's great to see its finally get going . An opportunity for the good park players to dream of glory and the state league clubs to get a chance to play against the big boys . I like the way the draw is set up so some of the qualifiers will get through to the later rounds .

Having said that I hope the A league players have good shin pads ...

At the moment I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Annie goes to sydney . He's passed on Perth , so if he stays in oz l it's newcastle or sydney . I think he wants the bigger stage . If he took on sydney and did well , his reputation would be well and truly secured . He's come along way from northern spirit where he started off . He was crap then , but having had the chance to work with people like Hiddink has turned him into a good coach . took a while though ..........

Cliff

It's great to see its finally get going . An opportunity for the good park players to dream of glory and the state league clubs to get a chance to play against the big boys . I like the way the draw is set up so some of the qualifiers will get through to the later rounds .
I've been playing local football for around 20 years, so I'm really looking forward to seeing some small teams given a chance against the A-League guys.

I've actually put a website together to track all the qualifying results around Australia in the individual States. It's very rough, but it has most of the information you could want. www.pursuitofthecupau.com

At the moment I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Annie goes to sydney . He's passed on Perth , so if he stays in oz l it's newcastle or sydney . I think he wants the bigger stage . If he took on sydney and did well , his reputation would be well and truly secured . He's come along way from northern spirit where he started off . He was crap then , but having had the chance to work with people like Hiddink has turned him into a good coach . took a while though ..........

I'm not a fan of Arnie at all. No doubting he's a good coach and has proven that with the Mariners. But he's such a whinger. It's always someone else's fault when things don't go his way.

Still hopeful that Sunderland can avoid relegation, it's been a rollercoaster over the years. I've seen them relegated a couple of times and then come back, but would really miss having a season or 3 of EPL without them. If they can beat Cardiff in their next game they might sneak outside the relegation zone.

Grand Final in Brisbane this Sunday. I've got tickets in the Home active support area and I can't wait.

The atmosphere at the last two GFs in Brissy were amazing, but with 10,000 travelling Western Sydney fans I expect this one to be even better.

Grand Final in Brisbane this Sunday. I've got tickets in the Home active support area and I can't wait.

The atmosphere at the last two GFs in Brissy were amazing, but with 10,000 travelling Western Sydney fans I expect this one to be even better.

Those R & B block are amazing . I'd been hoping for a sydney final at ANZ ...

Cliff

Should be a good A-League final. Hopefully Besart Berisha continues his form when he comes to MVFC. :)

The Champions League Final should be a cracker too.

It's been a great football year and the WC soon, can't wait.

Should be a good A-League final. Hopefully Besart Berisha continues his form when he comes to MVFC. :)

The Champions League Final should be a cracker too.

It's been a great football year and the WC soon, can't wait.

Does this forum have a like button cos this post deserves a double like!!! Looking forward to the A League grand final. Hope Brisbane get the double. Champions league final will be a cracker.

Back