For FBT purposes, what is a "briefcase"?

As above. Is it any luggage type device that is used to transport work related documentation/equipment?

I want to get one of those smaller luggage cases - almost like a cabin-bag sized suitcase - so I can put my laptop in it too.

Not sure of any case law but I would go with the Camridge English dictionary defintion which is "a case, used especially for carrying business documents". I would think your proposed purchase would meet the definition of a briefcase for FBT purposes.

Apocalypse,
If it is a brief case it is specifically named as an exempt fringe benefit but if it is simply something you use for work purposes the otherwise deductible rule would make it an exempt benefit anyway. So it makes no difference as long as it is used in relation to earning your income.
Why not double dip? Get your employer to reimburse you and then depreciate it in your personal tax return TD93/145.

Julia Hartman
[email protected]
www.bantacs.com.au

Briefcases are specifically mentioned in the ATO site.

From examples cited there, if it costs less than $300, and is specifically related to earning income, it would be claimable.

Many years ago, they disallowed my briefcase. The thinking must have changed.

Julia - I fully intend to. I have incorporated and now employ myself...I didn't think of using the otherwise deductible provisions...even though I intend to in every other possible situation. My business plan involves a lot of ideas from your Booklets...I am particularly fond of your double-dipping motor vehicle approach - I do 25-30K km per year, with about half legit business use - so I'm using our two vehicles, my company reimbursing business component of expenses (exempt under otherwise deductible, company claim back gst), and then claiming maximum cents per km for two vehicles in personal tax return. This worked out better than my company providing me with a company car. And easier.

I purchased something on the weekend called a "business trolley" case. I reckon it would pass for a briefcase-like device anyway. My new 17" Dell Inspiron 9300 (to be reimbursed, then personally depreciated, of course) snuggles into it quite nicely. :)

Back